Chargers @ Cardinals Pregame Thread (Week 12)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You totally don't understand what I am saying. My point is that if you are pulling your hair out over the way the Spanoses manage the franchise you are better off finding another team to be a fan of, because the Spanos family is not going to change, they aren't going to sell the franchise, John Spanos is going to remain in charge.

But if you are at the point that you believe the team will never achieve anything under the Spanos family ownership and they are going to waste Herbert's career, while I can definitely understand that point of view, I question why you are still here posting and advise that for your own mental health to walk away.
    Sounds pretty pessimistic to me.

And you far overestimate this fan's investment in the team. They don't affect my "mental health" in the least. Lots of other, important, things in life do. But never the shitty Chargers.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      And you far overestimate this fan's investment in the team. They don't affect my "mental health" in the least. Lots of other, important, things in life do. But never the shitty Chargers.
      If you are here posting, you are emotionally invested in the Chargers.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Don't give up that hope DB, it just might happen some day!

Ignore the pessimists and doubters. :nod:
        Are you kidding me...?
        I believe DerwinBosa could fly right now... if only it weren't for that dreaded John Spanos Curse!
        There will be a seance @Robb Field today!
        We will set DerwinBosa free...
        Later, he will soar high above Sunset Cliffs... lady at his side... into the Powderblue...!

Powderblueboy will anchor a dhingy just off the coast... in case the Evil Stalesco can not be vanquished...

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Negative side of "everything"? Rooting for the Chargers is "everything" in my life? That's funny, rich.

But in regards to the team, I would like to see positive changes in the culture. If the movie is bad, I give it bad reviews. If a restaurant sucks, I give it bad reviews. If the team sucks, I give them bad reviews. If something is broken, I'd like to see it fixed. I'm calling it like I see it. And my view is actually more accurate than the Pollyanna's...prove me wrong on that. Posting optimistically in the face of this train wreck of a team is not going help the team win; it's kind of silly, actually. And it's certainly not going to make me feel better about the Chargers. They are what they are. And until that changes, that's the way they are going to stay.
          I can only comment on what people post here and for some, the only thing ever posted about the anything about the team, owners, front office, coaches, training staff, team doctors and players is negative. People don't usually have alternate dispositions. Pessimists tend to be pessimistic about most things and optimists see the glass as half full. If there is truly no hope, why the waste time following the team? If that restaurant sucks, do you keep going back and eating there? If the movie sucks, are you going to watch it over and over again? Are you going to keep telling people about it forever? That is certainly your prerogative but sure seems like a head scratching waste of time to me.

The Spanos family is going nowhere and if people don't think they will ever get it right, well...I'll ask again - why bother with any emotional investment in the team? As a lifelong Charger and Padre fan and SDSU alumni, I have never experienced a championship and perhaps I never will. But there is always hope for me that one day I will get to experience it and that will make it that much sweeter. But I'm not going to moan and complain about everything during the ride.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I can only comment on what people post here and for some, the only thing ever posted about the anything about the team, owners, front office, coaches, training staff, team doctors and players is negative. People don't usually have alternate dispositions. Pessimists tend to be pessimistic about most things and optimists see the glass as half full. If there is truly no hope, why the waste time following the team? If that restaurant sucks, do you keep going back and eating there? If the movie sucks, are you going to watch it over and over again? Are you going to keep telling people about it forever? That is certainly your prerogative but sure seems like a head scratching waste of time to me.

The Spanos family is going nowhere and if people don't think they will ever get it right, well...I'll ask again - why bother with any emotional investment in the team? As a lifelong Charger and Padre fan and SDSU alumni, I have never experienced a championship and perhaps I never will. But there is always hope for me that one day I will get to experience it and that will make it that much sweeter. But I'm not going to moan and complain about everything during the ride.
            To me it's akin to staying in a marriage or relationship for the wrong reasons. I know people in relationships with a spouse or significant other they have truly grown to dislike, but they don't leave because they think it's best for their children or their personal financial health. But they are miserable and they complain constantly about that person.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

That's quite an over generalization (about "alternative dispositions"). I'm able to compartmentalize my investment in the team to just that; it doesn't spill over into other parts of my life. I get frustrated with the Chargers, as many have, because of their history of ineptitude. The frustration lasts about an hour after each pitiful performance and then I go on with my life.

But I do like the comment you made about going back to the shitty restaurant; or re-watching that shitty movie. No, I don't. So that begs your question: Why continue to root for a shitty team? And honestly, I don't have an answer for that. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment; maybe I need, as Velo suggests, to stop rooting for the team; maybe I'm just an old fool. I've tried to walk away, specifically when they left San Diego, but then I left San Diego so I decided to give them another shot. Plus I do like some of the guys here and it's fun/interesting to read their posts.

But I also share your hope that, one day, the team will bring home a championship. I really don't care about any other sports franchise, so all my fandom eggs are in the Chargers basket. And I've grown impatient with the team's years of losing; my negative posts are my way of dealing with that frustration.

But it's funny how my posts elicit such a strong response from some. It's like they take my comments personally. Methinks that those posters are the ones whose mental health might be too closely tied to the fortunes of the team.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

If you are here posting, you are emotionally invested in the Chargers.
                I would agree, to a degree. But "emotionally invested" and allowing the team to "affect my mental health" are two very different things.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Are you kidding me...?
                  I believe DerwinBosa could fly right now... if only it weren't for that dreaded John Spanos Curse!
                  There will be a seance @Robb Field today!
                  We will set DerwinBosa free...
                  Later, he will soar high above Sunset Cliffs... lady at his side... into the Powderblue...!

Powderblueboy will anchor a dhingy just off the coast... in case the Evil Stalesco can not be vanquished...
                  I only anchor dhingys at night off the coast, when i am helping to smuggle drugs into the country.

Otherwise, not certain what purpose will be served idly hanging out there in choppy waters in one of those things.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Ignore the pessimists and doubters. :nod:
                    This is probably sound advice

Sometimes I get upset by negative posts but I shouldn't because they are simply someone's opinion. I even find myself waffling over to the negative side at times.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Or people are at a particular moment in their life where they want to vent, it being restricted in other avenues,
                      or have come to that perspective based on present circumstances.

I've pretty much vented, and then someone posts about how it is all terribly wrong and that you have to keep a stiff upper lip about things.
                      At the end of the day, what the Chargers do on the field shouldn't emotionally affect people's lives here. Anything that you have no control over
                      should limit one's 'emotional' investment, and this applies to whatever type of fan posts here.

And so many bad analogies are pushed forth: no one returns to a bad restaurant because there exist other options, and if
                      the price of being a Charger fan costs the same as a bad restaurant each week, few would be here.

Its not as if most individuals have been posting nothing but negative thoughts over the year (or years); and yet there are those who frame it in that capacity,
                      and characterize those who express negativity as being individuals perpetually consumed with that perspective: its a crock.

What would this forum be like if all the 'negative nancies' left? It would be a dull place of posters tripping over themselves trying not to say anything beyond the pale,
                      with the cultural enforcers forever vigilant for heterodox opinions and heretics.

Negative posts should not be personal attacks against other posters (or even players/coaches) - that should be the requirement.

I see Tges is back. :facepalm1:

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

To me it's akin to staying in a marriage or relationship for the wrong reasons. I know people in relationships with a spouse or significant other they have truly grown to dislike, but they don't leave because they think it's best for their children or their personal financial health. But they are miserable and they complain constantly about that person.
                        will quote your shorter post in the interest of brevity, and.... the grass is not greener on the other side, the grass is greener where you water it.

will also add that most indoor plants die from overwatering.... which is it Velo ??

are you staying in a McCoy/Lynn/Staley relationship for the wrong reasons and for two unnecessary seasons ?? and do you think 'tis best for your Chargers to stay the course w/Staley, just as they have w/Lynn and McCoy ?? is that better for your personal emotional health ?? or would you be too miserable if we let Brandon go "early" and in fear we would only repeat the same ineptitude ??

are we putting off the inevitable by sticking w/Stalesco ??

my personal take is that we (us posters) are doing our best to keep the grass watered, and however that might be w/the artificial SoFi turf.

shaming or smearing other posters as angry, pulling their hair out, losing our minds, mentally distressed, completely negative, whining and crying all the time, emotionally imbalanced, and further go on to question why we are here, eye might advise you to look in the mirror and stfu.

and eye understand, believe you me.... eye get your buy in, your prerogative, and that you find my/our posts unacceptable, and that you apparently would be better off if I didn't post here.

good on yah and so be it.... I worked as an usher in the late seventies at Jack Murphy and have never looked back, and am sure as heck not hitting the brakes coz of your cautionary tale.

really don't care for your shaming/smearing, and do recall you being an MW doubter early on, and that you have since reversed course and become a big supporter of his.

we all ebb and flow here, and will remind you that even Chain had his admirers at times.... live and let live, and do your best to enjoy our ongrowing story here at the Powder Blues.... brother !!
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I only anchor dhingys at night off the coast, when i am helping to smuggle drugs into the country.

Otherwise, not certain what purpose will be served idly hanging out there in choppy waters in one of those things.
                          Great news!
                          I'm glad to hear that you are at least using SOME of your time productively...
                          :freakout:

Comment

Working...
                          X