Chargers @ Raiders Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 13)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Staley's defense would have inevitably improved over the season, minus injuries.

Lombardi's offense would have produced good numbers, as last year, minus injuries.
    Maybe, but I doubt it. Lombardi's previous year success may have come from the fact that he hadn't called any plays for years and there weren't really any known tendencies in terms of his playcall style on tape yet. Now that there is plenty of tape, the deficiencies in his play calling are glaring even to the point that other players have openly spoke about it. In terms of Staley's defense, it could have improved assuming no injuries, but I don't get that sense. I've seen K9 and Adderly regress, and even when it was a healthy unit, they weren't exactly world beaters. The fundamentals like tackling and blocking were and are poor no matter who was and is on the field.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Yup. Just nothing positive at all to add to this discussion at all. Sad!
      What's positive about Zach Wilson? He isn't a very good QB, his team mates don't care for him. Losing formula.
      Yes he has his 3rd season to turn it around but for me, I wouldn't of drafted him first round. Had reservations about him.
      Teams screw this QB thing up all the time.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well, all I heard before the game was how bad the raider defense was and all we had to worry about was Maxx Crosby. So that shitty Raider defense held us to 13. That wasn’t the steel curtain we played but they played their asses off and we played like we deserved to win just by teeing the ball up.

where was Derwin? Where was Mack? Ek with the critical fumble. Herbert with shitty pocket awareness. Keenan disappearing act. Load of shit served up on a Sunday. Don’t be fooled by the final score. They beat our ass and could have run it up more but just wanted to milk the clock.
        True. Jones hadn't done much all year til today. I didn't know Zion was out either. Jaime's is real bad depth.

We have a way of making players come to life. Tillery came to life against Clapp who is big drop off at OC. Man had we had Linsley and Zion id have run right at Tillery all day.

How did Keenan disappear? Herbert had no time to throw most of the game. Carr only completed 53% of his passes. He just got the big ones to Adams. But we gave up the typical 154 yards rushing for over 5 ypc.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

It seems to me just just extrapolating from historical numbers, the formula for success today would be a top 5 offense and at worst, a top 12-13 (preferably top 10) defense. Conversely, I don't really know if you could have the same success if those statistics were inverse, but I could see the Broncos have success if their defense retains the same level of play and their offense can just score 21 points a game. I think that would be quite a feat to have a winning deep postseason team with just 21 points a game as the league had been trending up to this point to have offenses score over 30 points a game.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Ekeler's fumble was key.
            The non holding call with Keenan at the end prevented a miracle comeback.
            There was no margin for error.

We want to be a line of scrimmage team.
            -Offense: Slater, Linsley, Pipkins.
            -Defense: AJ, Covington, Tito now Bash.
            All out, for starters.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Maybe, but I doubt it. Lombardi's previous year success may have come from the fact that he hadn't called any plays for years and there weren't really any known tendencies in terms of his playcall style on tape yet. Now that there is plenty of tape, the deficiencies in his play calling are glaring even to the point that other players have openly spoke about it. In terms of Staley's defense, it could have improved assuming no injuries, but I don't get that sense. I've seen K9 and Adderly regress, and even when it was a healthy unit, they weren't exactly world beaters. The fundamentals like tackling and blocking were and are poor no matter who was and is on the field.
              My main gripe with Staley and his defense is no one has improved under his tutelage. Not one guy. Yet guys that have left play better for new teams. Chenna, White now Tillery. Something is wrong with his “concepts”. He doesn’t get the best out of his players

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                Ekeler's fumble was key.
                The non holding call with Keenan at the end prevented a miracle comeback.
                There was no margin for error.

We want to be a line of scrimmage team.
                -Offense: Slater, Linsley, Pipkins.
                -Defense: AJ, Covington, Tito now Bash.
                All out, for starters.
                I get that the back ups aren’t going to be as good as the starters but there’s no excuse for the big drop off and not scheming to help. FIO

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Well, all I heard before the game was how bad the raider defense was and all we had to worry about was Maxx Crosby. So that shitty Raider defense held us to 13. That wasn’t the steel curtain we played but they played their asses off and we played like we deserved to win just by teeing the ball up.

where was Derwin? Where was Mack? Ek with the critical fumble. Herbert with shitty pocket awareness. Keenan disappearing act. Load of shit served up on a Sunday. Don’t be fooled by the final score. They beat our ass and could have run it up more but just wanted to milk the clock.
                    Easy

Agree with Derwin, worst game i have seen him play, Mack has been neutralized for a while, Eklers fumble was huge but you are offside on Herbert.

Do you know how many other QBs could have taken 5 sacks, 14 hits and pressure just about every single snap and still hung in there with no turnovers and put up 335 yards? How about none?

What made it worse to watch was not one little finger was put on Carr all day long. Zero pressure.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2020
                      • Send PM

My main gripe with Staley and his defense is no one has improved under his tutelage. Not one guy. Yet guys that have left play better for new teams. Chenna, White now Tillery. Something is wrong with his “concepts”. He doesn’t get the best out of his players
                      That's a trend I've noticed myself. I think Shaun Saurrett, the Oline coach, deserves credit getting Pipkins and Salyer to be decent to good players. Notwithstanding the Oline play the past several weeks, I've seen more improvement than not (i.e. Feiler) in that unit considering the circumstances. We can't quite say how much of the protection schemes or lack thereof the past few games fall on Shaun, or if it's simply Lombardi sacrificing protection to rely on quick release routes and having more bodies out to be able to catch balls. Granted, the injuries do matter on that unit since linemen aren't as easily replaceable as skill players and chemistry and continuity matter quite a bit there, so that's also a component.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Dolphins and 49ers today.

Miami missing LT/RT (Armstead/Jackson)
                        49ers starting LT/RT (Williams/McGlinchey)

Control of the line of scrimmage is key to winning games. Even a 3rd QB playing the game manager role, can hand it off and make some passes to win games when they have good blockers in front of them. Purdy beating Tua.

Staley knows this. And the off season under Brandon have shown heavy investment in adding to line of scrimmage talent. I expect that type attention to OL/DL to continue as long as he is the HC.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

White had a career season with us. He isn't doing better in Philly.
                          Thru 11 games, before today he has exactly half the tackles he had last season and he got hurt today.

Nakobe Dean just might keep that spot now.

Comment

Working...
                          X