Dolphins @ Chargers Pregame Thread (Wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
    Staley is puzzling. It seems like his D for the LAR was good because he had probowler DT Aaron Donald to clog the middle and CB Jaylen Ramsey to shutdown at CB. Seems like his D can't work unless he has those types of players

But the guy was under Vic Fangio who had many good Ds in DEN and CHI and is sort of D guru. You would think Staley would have learned something being under Fangio for all those years w more regular players.
    and there are others under the Fangio D tree that are doing really good. so methinks staley is NOOOOOO defensive guru! guru of the most offensive defense...yes he is.

Comment

• Berserker76
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

and there are others under the Fangio D tree that are doing really good. so methinks staley is NOOOOOO defensive guru! guru of the most offensive defense...yes he is.
      Yep, just another swing and a miss. Thanks, Spanos family.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Butler and AJ handed Marty a proverbial Ferrari he drove into a playoff ditch.

Marty had legendary Wade Philips as DC. Imagine his record with Renaldo Hill.
        Marty would never hire Renaldo Hill - thats sort of the point eh?

Marty was the third best coach in Chargers history imo - Sid #1, The Don #2, Marty a solid unmovable 3. Stupid move to fire him after a 14-2 season because players made stupid mistakes to then barely lose the PO game. Sorry - I’ll never agree on this PO curse - too small a sample size, a series of flukes is what I see, random chance.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Yep, just another swing and a miss. Thanks, Spanos family.
          He didn't have the experience

I didn't want Joe Brady as he was the OC for one of the most stacked offenses in college history. Go be the OC at a different school and see how you do

I didn't want Arthur Smith as I am not sure running Derrick Henry and doing play action with Tannehill is that "innovative" - its common sense

Staley was too inexperienced; too young, he needed to learn

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I didn't want Joe Brady as he was the OC for one of the most stacked offenses in college history. Go be the OC at a different school and see how you do

I didn't want Arthur Smith as I am not sure running Derrick Henry and doing play action with Tannehill is that "innovative" - its common sense

I'll admit I was exited to get Staley, but it was a big mistake. Honestly, don't even know where to go from here, glad it's not my decision to make. Three years of Herbert's rookie contract already gone. Sigh...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

I'll admit I was exited to get Staley, but it was a big mistake. Honestly, don't even know where to go from here, glad it's not my decision to make. Three years of Herbert's rookie contract already gone. Sigh...
              My names at the start of the process were Brian Kelly and Jim Caldwell. I know Kelly is an a-hole but the guy can coach. Caldwell was solid with the Colts and Lions.

When I saw the list of 8 - it was easy: Brian Daboll
              Staley was in the bottom half with Brady and Smith. I had Jason Garrett, the clapper, higher than Staley. Maybe Saleh up there too. But for me, it was easy, Daboll.

Now this offseason - its Sean Payton or a combo of a solid NFL GM like Robinson (not a newby guy but a veteran guy) and a good solid coach

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

but, but, but...he was a D guru! pffft...guru of talk! Man makes Gus D look like world-beaters! I miss Wade Philips' defense days. That was a crazy-good D, tough, could tackle, could cover, could get pressure. How I miss the likes of Randall Godfrey and Donnie Edwards in the middle.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

There's nothing wrong with Staley there's just so little talent on the field for him to work with at this point. He's got a great football mind. Unfortunately there's a really good chance the wheels really start coming off this weekend and good chance the team could quit in the weeks following.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                    There's nothing wrong with Staley there's just so little talent on the field for him to work with at this point. He's got a great football mind. Unfortunately there's a really good chance the wheels really start coming off this weekend and good chance the team could quit in the weeks following.
                    Sometimes - not sure about his football mind and how it translates to coaching

I mean, it seems like they have not adapted to the change in roster because of injuries...

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Can you explain why you believe Staley has a great football mind? I'm kind of lost. What I see is that he's young, inexperienced, makes plenty of in game mistakes. We're not part of the practices, film room so we don't know what goes on there in terms of prep for specific teams, etc. Sure we lead the NFL in injuries but there have been head scratches in terms of specific game strategy.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I admit that I'm torn regarding Staley. Sometimes I hope they fire him, sometimes I hope they keep him.

Part of my thinking isn't as much about him as it is about the organization. If they fire him, they are likely to hire another first-year guy to replace him and it could be another disaster waiting to happen.

Right now, I'm leaning toward giving him another year. He has two years of experience now and he no doubt has learned some lessons. I like that he's aggressive and trusts Herbert as he does. I can't blame this terrible season on him. No coach would have had a good year coaching this team with all these injuries. Every team has injuries but not every team has those injuries to such important players as Slater, Bosa, JC Jackson, both the #1 and 2, WR's, and more recently, our pro-bowl Center.

I would rather they keep him and replace TT with a more aggressive GM. (But, that's today). LOL
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

You can have a great football mind but there's much more than that required to be an effective head coach in the NFL. You have to be able to communicate it effectively in bite size segments, utilize the talents of the players you have and develop players. The latter 2 elements seem to be missing.

Comment

Working...
                          X