• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltsfan70
    East Coast Chargers Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
    • Send PM

Just saw this sending Prayers your way could not imagine what you and your family are going through. Stay positive brother.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      That's cool Fleet!

Yep.
      For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Boltimore
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Naples, FL
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Wow Mako, so sorry for you, your family and especially your daughter. Thoughts, prayers, and Mojo to your family.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

So, they got back from MD Anderson yesterday. They were impressed with the place and really like the staff and the Doctor. They have her complete history and did ANOTHER bone marrow biopsy (that makes 5). She said this was her most painful one yet. Her young bones are hard to penetrate and they had some trouble getting through to the marrow this time. I'm surprised its not standard practice to knock them out for those things. She toughed it out though and is just really sore.

Now, we wait again. The Doctor was very optimistic about her outlook and impressed with her blood counts, overall appearance and energy levels. Spleen was good, lymph nodes all good. He wouldn't get into a game of "what if", said he didn't want to put anything negative in her mind, but did say that treatment, if any, could wait until after the semester and told her to focus on school and just live her life. No limitations. The hold up is all the genetic testing he's ordering and results should be back in about 2 weeks. Strange thing is that for the first time since this all began something called IL-2 Receptor was mentioned. The doctors here and in Birmingham never mentioned it. I'll have to do some research on that to fully understand its significance.

And so, we wait...
          sigpic

Comment

• RobH
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Tokyo, Japan
            • University English Lecturer
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            So, they got back from MD Anderson yesterday. They were impressed with the place and really like the staff and the Doctor. They have her complete history and did ANOTHER bone marrow biopsy (that makes 5). She said this was her most painful one yet. Her young bones are hard to penetrate and they had some trouble getting through to the marrow this time. I'm surprised its not standard practice to knock them out for those things. She toughed it out though and is just really sore.

Now, we wait again. The Doctor was very optimistic about her outlook and impressed with her blood counts, overall appearance and energy levels. Spleen was good, lymph nodes all good. He wouldn't get into a game of "what if", said he didn't want to put anything negative in her mind, but did say that treatment, if any, could wait until after the semester and told her to focus on school and just live her life. No limitations. The hold up is all the genetic testing he's ordering and results should be back in about 2 weeks. Strange thing is that for the first time since this all began something called IL-2 Receptor was mentioned. The doctors here and in Birmingham never mentioned it. I'll have to do some research on that to fully understand its significance.

And so, we wait...
            She's tough, and the treatments and knowledge are growing exponentially, I have confidence she and her doctors will beat this. Just don't let it drive you insane. Keep you eye on the ball, as they say. All the best.

Comment

• Geezbolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Sun Valley, ID
              • Send PM

Five bone marrow tests???? Please tell your daughter she just made my toughness HOF! I had one of those many years ago and it was like being plugged into a 220V outlet when they took the sample. Lots of cool mojo (38 degrees this morning and 31 yesterday) headed your way from Idaho.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Mako, you're being a strong Dad. Pat yourself on the back.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                  No Sir, I Dont Like It
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Section 457
                  • Migrant Film Worker
                  • Send PM

And so, we wait...
                  She's in the care of the experts now. That's the place to be. MOJO!
                  Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

We got this.

Comment

• floydefisher
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2013
                      • siberiacuse, ny
                      • Send PM

And so, we wait...
                      Continued prayers for your daughter.

Hopefully, the tests come back with a clean bill of health.
                      sigpic

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Alright, most of the results are in from MD Anderson and the news is rather anti-climatic. There are still small traces of cancer cells in her bone marrow. He didn't give a percentage he just used the words "small traces" a lot. Her IL-2 receptor test came back positive, which is a good thing and indicates that her bone marrow is healthy and producing healthy cells, I think. I still don't fully understand that relationship. At the end of the day all he wants to do is monitor her. His biggest concern is her platelet levels. She is at about 91k right now and the low side of normal is around 140k. When she comes home for fall break in October we're going to have her blood drawn for a CBC and make sure the platelet level isn't dropping. As long as it's stable or continues to rise, she's good and no further treatment will be needed. If it turns on a downward trend, then MD Anderson will consult with her oncologist up here on a treatment plan.

I didn't get to talk to Dr. He called my daughter, then she called me. She sounded happy with the news, but would have preferred to hear "you are cancer free". The news could have been much worse, we realize that, and we're glad it wasn't. And so, we wait and we learn to live with this for now. The Dr said her condition could remain like this for the rest of her life, chronic but dormant.

Her spirits are good and she's doing great in class. She's unhappy with her football teams performances (or lack there of) and wants her Coach fired (sound familiar?). She's got a good boyfriend who's been by her side through all of this. He could have ran off long ago, but he didn't and I respect him for that. We have a fundraiser for her tomorrow at my favorite craft brewery. The owners wanted to help us out and $1 for every drink sold tomorrow will go into a GoFundMe account on her behalf. I asked for and received permission to post the link here. We've already met our posted goal (sometimes people are amazing) and the fundraiser isn't until tomorrow! There is a link to her blog on there if you'd like to follow her story in her own words. Fleet sent out one of Jason Verrett's signed tee's for her and she was very appreciative. "Pretty boy" is one of her favorite Chargers. Here's a pic of her wearing it; Thanks for thinking of her Fleet!

Jbo.jpg
                        sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Thanks Mako! Great smile. I'm seeing that platelet count rise higher and higher. Complete health.

Pretty boy? haha

Comment

Working...
                          X