• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Millionaire Wussy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Mako, I don't know how you do it. I would be a double-basketcase if I were in your shoes. As it is you both are melting my heart. Oh boy.
    For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

• Coachmarkos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • SoDak
      • Technology Director
      • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
      Alright, most of the results are in from MD Anderson and the news is rather anti-climatic. There are still small traces of cancer cells in her bone marrow. He didn't give a percentage he just used the words "small traces" a lot. Her IL-2 receptor test came back positive, which is a good thing and indicates that her bone marrow is healthy and producing healthy cells, I think. I still don't fully understand that relationship. At the end of the day all he wants to do is monitor her. His biggest concern is her platelet levels. She is at about 91k right now and the low side of normal is around 140k. When she comes home for fall break in October we're going to have her blood drawn for a CBC and make sure the platelet level isn't dropping. As long as it's stable or continues to rise, she's good and no further treatment will be needed. If it turns on a downward trend, then MD Anderson will consult with her oncologist up here on a treatment plan.

I didn't get to talk to Dr. He called my daughter, then she called me. She sounded happy with the news, but would have preferred to hear "you are cancer free". The news could have been much worse, we realize that, and we're glad it wasn't. And so, we wait and we learn to live with this for now. The Dr said her condition could remain like this for the rest of her life, chronic but dormant.

Her spirits are good and she's doing great in class. She's unhappy with her football teams performances (or lack there of) and wants her Coach fired (sound familiar?). She's got a good boyfriend who's been by her side through all of this. He could have ran off long ago, but he didn't and I respect him for that. We have a fundraiser for her tomorrow at my favorite craft brewery. The owners wanted to help us out and $1 for every drink sold tomorrow will go into a GoFundMe account on her behalf. I asked for and received permission to post the link here. We've already met our posted goal (sometimes people are amazing) and the fundraiser isn't until tomorrow! There is a link to her blog on there if you'd like to follow her story in her own words. Fleet sent out one of Jason Verrett's signed tee's for her and she was very appreciative. "Pretty boy" is one of her favorite Chargers. Here's a pic of her wearing it; Thanks for thinking of her Fleet!

[ATTACH]1091[/ATTACH]
      Thanks for the update... my thoughts are with you guys.
      "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• RobH
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Tokyo, Japan
        • University English Lecturer
        • Send PM

It sounds like the results are pretty good. And sometimes pretty good isn't a bad thing. Hope it goes away completely or at least stays dormant for the 150 years. All the best to a brave family.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Things are heading in the right direction and this is great news! Prayers and positive thoughts will continue!
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Highboltage
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Here's to things continuing in the direction of goodness!

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Continued mojo for your beautiful daughter and our own JH (aka Stinky). Really praying for good news all around.

Jim

Comment

• floydefisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • siberiacuse, ny
                • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                Alright, most of the results are in from MD Anderson and the news is rather anti-climatic. There are still small traces of cancer cells in her bone marrow. He didn't give a percentage he just used the words "small traces" a lot. Her IL-2 receptor test came back positive, which is a good thing and indicates that her bone marrow is healthy and producing healthy cells, I think. I still don't fully understand that relationship. At the end of the day all he wants to do is monitor her. His biggest concern is her platelet levels. She is at about 91k right now and the low side of normal is around 140k. When she comes home for fall break in October we're going to have her blood drawn for a CBC and make sure the platelet level isn't dropping. As long as it's stable or continues to rise, she's good and no further treatment will be needed. If it turns on a downward trend, then MD Anderson will consult with her oncologist up here on a treatment plan.

I didn't get to talk to Dr. He called my daughter, then she called me. She sounded happy with the news, but would have preferred to hear "you are cancer free". The news could have been much worse, we realize that, and we're glad it wasn't. And so, we wait and we learn to live with this for now. The Dr said her condition could remain like this for the rest of her life, chronic but dormant.

Her spirits are good and she's doing great in class. She's unhappy with her football teams performances (or lack there of) and wants her Coach fired (sound familiar?). She's got a good boyfriend who's been by her side through all of this. He could have ran off long ago, but he didn't and I respect him for that. We have a fundraiser for her tomorrow at my favorite craft brewery. The owners wanted to help us out and $1 for every drink sold tomorrow will go into a GoFundMe account on her behalf. I asked for and received permission to post the link here. We've already met our posted goal (sometimes people are amazing) and the fundraiser isn't until tomorrow! There is a link to her blog on there if you'd like to follow her story in her own words. Fleet sent out one of Jason Verrett's signed tee's for her and she was very appreciative. "Pretty boy" is one of her favorite Chargers. Here's a pic of her wearing it; Thanks for thinking of her Fleet!

[ATTACH]1091[/ATTACH]
                This is really good news, all things considered.

Please keep us updated as you feel it's necessary, and can we finally get this and the other cancer thread stickied?
                sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Mojo to you and your daughter Mako!

Hope I'm half as strong as she is!
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• MakoShark
                    Disgruntled
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Alabama
                    • Send PM

You got this Stinky. 1 day at a time, bro.
                    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Continued mojo, good karma and prayers your way!

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Awesome news. She's going to be fine. Great pic.

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          Continued mojo for your beautiful daughter and our own JH (aka Stinky). Really praying for good news all around.

Jim
                          Really! I was walking home from my local Ralph's grocery store late last night (around 12:30 am) and I came across some kind of whimpering. Didn't know if it was animal or person so I called the Palm Springs police non-emergency line and the dispatcher seemed to care at first with her many questions. I then dared to find out for myself what was making that noise and it turned out a 60+ year old lady in a wheelchair was crying. Yes, there are some homeless folks in that area - Palm Springs Library and Sunrise Park - but seeing up close this older lady whimpering like that was both eerie and sadder than shit. Fucking sad just thinking about it now. I called the police dispatcher back and she told me there are a lot of vagrants out there. I wonder if she really could appreciate that one of those vagrants she spoke of could have been her Mother. It's sad how we distance ourselves from people's pain by labeling them. Anyhow, that's all.
                          For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

Working...
                          X