Dolphins @ Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 14)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Have you considered that Staley’s scheme is just very effective against a Shannahan type offense?
    https://www.denverpost.com/2020/02/0...gio-blueprint/

Kyle Shanahan should have heeded Bill Belichick’s Vic Fangio blueprint - Denver Post

A year ago, Bill Belichick borrowed heavily from Vic Fangio‘s blueprints to throttle the high-scoring Los Angeles Rams in the Super Bowl.

Fangio’s brilliant game plan in the Bears’ 15-6 win over LA in Week 14 provided the backbone of New England’s 13-3 victory in Super Bowl 53.

Had Kyle Shanahan studied Fangio’s philosophy when facing Patrick Mahomes, maybe the San Francisco 49ers would have been the ones celebrating in Miami instead of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Nobody would want to borrow Fangio’s call sheets from his games against K.C. in 2019, when the first-time head coach’s Denver Broncos were swept by a combined 53-9.

Fangio had the right mind-set, however, on Oct. 17, when the Broncos took a 7-0 lead over Kansas City in a game they went on to lose 30-6.

That’s right. That’s no typo.

Brandon McManus‘ extra point after an opening touchdown made it 7-0. But a Chiefs player was whistled for encroachment, and Fangio chose to take the point off the board and go for 2 instead.

Although the decision backfired when Phillip Lindsay was stuffed shy of the goal line, it proved Fangio’s point that you have to be as aggressive as possible when facing the young Patrick Mahomes and grizzled coach Andy Reid.

Super Bowl 54 marked Reid’s 366th game as a head coach and his second Super Bowl appearance. He had lived for the last 15 years with the criticism that he wasn’t aggressive enough in Philadelphia’s 24-21 loss to New England in Super Bowl 39.

Reid was going to go for the gusto Sunday.

Shanahan, on the other hand, kept settling for field goals and his passiveness at the end of the first half came back to haunt him when the 49ers blew their 10-point fourth-quarter lead.

Vic Fangio and Bill Belichick own Kyle Shanahan's and Sean McVay's offense. Mike McDaniels is from the same school of playcalling. That Staley studied Fangio at Stanford, was a positive for his coaching abilities and we got to see that last night.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

On the Radio broadcast, you could definitely hear the Dolphin fans, especially when the Bolts were 3rd and long. I didn't think the Bolt fans reciprocated though.
      the bolt fans don't quite get the whole "make noise when our defense forces a 3rd down" thing. however, the oculus operator should be encouraging people more - a little nudge.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
        I watch the Bolts now with partial disinterest figuring with all these injuries no way anything big will happen this year...especially the shape of the OL which is the biggest deal....but yet...I watch the game last night...I honestly have no idea how they won. The defense with all the backups...those guys should be the starters going forward.

Herbert was just able to elude the pass rushers who were on him in a few seconds, and complete passes....

I don't think that will work all the time...for for whatever reason it worked last nite.

I am perplexed.

Hey Bosa...thanks for nothing.
        Not sure what the Bosa line is supposed to mean.

Comment

• captaind
          Cook This Pork Chops
          • Jun 2013
          • Mars
          • Ball Holder
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

IMO His reaction wasn't that of someone who just stopped playing, he clearly was angry because he thought he saw a Dolphin player with the ball. But point stands, you gotta keep working until the whistle blows, I think that habit comes with more experience.
          overall I'm high on Alohi for consistently providing key plays however under appreciated by fans. He wasn't even Staleys guy and gives max effort, well outside of that one play.
          Agree, think I commented during the game that he needs more playing time.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Have you considered that Staley’s scheme is just very effective against a Shannahan type offense?
            Sure, but there was enough divergence from the typical Fangio/Staley scheme that requires prevalence of heavy zone, a light box and a need for in-the-box safety. While 2-safety cover 2 shell was intact, there were some variations from what we would typically see particularly some heavy box formations and more press coverage. That said, I think a press-zone concept within the secondary that mimics man but allows for tighter zones would work sufficiently -- the key being that the corners and/or linebackers attack, press heavy, stifle and reroute the receivers within the 5 yard off-the-line allowance, and then drop into tight zones (while some remain in man like M Davis) in some coverages. That should up the physicality and allow our secondary and linebackers to maintain an aggressive mentality for the duration of a game.

Probably the same principles apply for the offensive line in terms of physicality. Since our linemen are mostly focused and coached to be in a defensive posture for pass blocking, our running game and overall physicality/aggressiveness there suffers.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

the bolt fans don't quite get the whole "make noise when our defense forces a 3rd down" thing. however, the oculus operator should be encouraging people more - a little nudge.

Inform the Announcer to say "Free tacos if the Chargers defense keeps em under 17 points."

- The 17-time World Champions, Lakers.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I'll admit that I did take advantage of the free Big Mac with $1 purchase because of the the two sacks by Van Noy and Fox.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Chargers’ best and worst PFF grades vs. the Dolphins

The Bolts defense highlights this week’s grades, including a former first-round pick.
                  By Michael Peterson@ZoneTracks Dec 12, 2022, 10:55am PST 11 Comments / 11 New

Share this story

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
                  The Chargers put together one of their best and most-complete efforts against the Dolphins on Sunday night and it led them to a huge 23-17 win in primetime. I use the word “huge” not as to describe the point differential, but to convey just how pivotal this win could end up being when it comes to buffing their chances at making the postseason.
                  In this week’s recap of the team’s best and worst performers according to Pro Football Focus, the list is littered with the names you’d expect after what we all saw in last night’s contest. While I believe there’s plenty nit-pick here ( Justin Herbert’s grade), there’s also some results that will surely make your eyes pop (Kenneth Murray’s grade).
                  So let’s go ahead and dive on in. Here are this week’s best and worst-graded players from the Chargers’ week 14 matchup against Miami.
                  Offense

(Min. 25 snaps)

Top-5
                  WR Mike Williams - 79.9
                  WR Keenan Allen - 75.4
                  QB Justin Herbert - 65.1
                  RB Joshua Kelley - 63.3
                  OT Jamaree Salyer - 62.5
                  Worst-5
                  OG Matt Feiler - 40.1
                  OT Foster Sarell - 43.2
                  C Corey Linsley - 50.8
                  TE Tre’ McKitty - 51.9
                  OG Zion Johnson - 60.9
                  Defense

(Min. 25 snaps)

Top-5
                  LB Kenneth Murray - 88.6
                  S Alohi Gilman - 87.8
                  CB Asante Samuel Jr. - 82.4
                  LB Drue Tranquill - 81.6
                  CB Michael Davis - 75.7
                  Worst-5
                  S Nasir Adderley - 40.6
                  DT Breiden Fehoko - 44.3
                  EDGE Chris Rumph II - 52.6
                  EDGE Kyle Van Noy - 57.3
                  EDGE Khalil Mack - 63.4

I have never really liked PFF. I think that there is not one football person there in their whole building. When I see these grades it makes me think these guys have big brass balls that they would grade players of a game that they did not even watch.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I have never really liked PFF. I think that there is not one football person there in their whole building. When I see these grades it makes me think these guys have big brass balls that they would grade players of a game that they did not even watch.
                    That's my boy...K9 gettin done! He's going to owe me a jersey for being his only supporter/fan on this forum. LOL!
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Rich Eisen Blubbering all over Herbert and company!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
                        Rich Eisen Blubbering all over Herbert and company!

Considering how much he was ripping him earlier - fair weather, lazy media guy.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

That's my boy...K9 gettin done! He's going to owe me a jersey for being his only supporter/fan on this forum. LOL!
                          The LB's were superb yesterday for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X