• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Detroit Lions WR Chuck Hughes collapsed on the field and was dead hours later from a heart attack. This was in 1971.

Chuck had already suffered one cardiac arrest in the preseason that year after getting hit in the chest, he collapsed in the locker room after the preseason game and was hospitalized, a few months later he got nailed in the chest again by dick butkus then two plays later he got nailed again after catching a pass and died…the heart is a muscle and it can be bruised like a muscle and that bruising can cause a short circuit in the electric rhythms it uses to beat properly…

last night hamlin was standing straight up and instead of going low to make the tackle he gave higgins a chance to load up speed up and charge right into his chest…I wonder if like chuck, Damar might've already been dealing with an internal issue before this happened…

you guys remember that iconic replay of earl campbell burying his helmet into the Ram Isaiah Robertson’s chest? I’ve always wondered how Robertson didn’t die right then and there from such a violent collision right into his chest…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Has there been any official word?
      Someone wrote that they will wait at least 24 hours, after putting him to sleep for the intubation.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Praying he makes a full recovery.

But here’s a question to ponder. If you had this injury and recovered would you play NFL football again or retire?

Comment

• cmplxgal
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • New Jersey
            • Send PM

As of an hour ago:

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
              Praying he makes a full recovery.

But here’s a question to ponder. If you had this injury and recovered would you play NFL football again or retire?
              Retire... obviously Im not an expert but I'm one of those that thinks there was something wrong with his heart already.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Retire... obviously Im not an expert but I'm one of those that thinks there was something wrong with his heart already.
                He received a direct impact to the chest, from what the scientists say about this phenomena is that it takes a blow at a very specific interval in the rhythm of the heart beat and this could happen to anyone without any pre-existing heart condition, so I don’t think any of this is an indication that something was already wrong with his heart…

“A blunt force to the chest in a precise moment in the heart's electrical cycle can cause the heart to stop. It is a rare injury known as “commotio cordis,” but it is the second most common cause of cardiac death among U.S. athletes, according to a 2009 study in Sports Health.”
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                    Dea Spanos my HERO
                    • Dec 2022
                    • Send PM

He received a direct impact to the chest, from what the scientists say about this phenomena is that it takes a blow at a very specific interval in the rhythm of the heart beat and this could happen to anyone without any pre-existing heart condition, so I don’t think any of this is an indication that something was already wrong with his heart…

“A blunt force to the chest in a precise moment in the heart's electrical cycle can cause the heart to stop. It is a rare injury known as “commotio cordis,” but it is the second most common cause of cardiac death among U.S. athletes, according to a 2009 study in Sports Health.”
                    Happens on the upstroke of the "T" wave according to experts and has to be a perfectly timed blunt blow to disrupt and cause an arrhythmia of the heart cycle. That's my layman's take with a touch of Dr. House

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

Happens on the upstroke of the "T" wave according to experts and has to be a perfectly timed blunt blow to disrupt and cause an arrhythmia of the heart cycle. That's my layman's take with a touch of Dr. House
                      If you watch the replay, damar is almost standing straight up, he slowed down as he braced for impact but instead of getting low he stayed high and higgins accelerated and barged right into his chest with his shoulder…higgins is a big WR at 6’4” and 220 pounds and plus he runs a 4.5 forty! Damar is 6’ 200 pounds…

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

Likely that this is what occurred with the caveat that this is a rare occurrence, more so within Damar's age demographic and particularly in the sport of football. Apparently, according to medical literature, it appears to be localized to those aged 18 years old or younger with particular emphasis on those participating in projectile sports such as lacrosse and baseball.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                          Dea Spanos my HERO
                          • Dec 2022
                          • Send PM

If you watch the replay, damar is almost standing straight up, he slowed down as he braced for impact and higgins accelerated and barged right into his chest with his shoulder…higgins is a big WR at 6’4” and 220 pounds and plus he runs a 4.5 forty!
                          Agreed.

To this fan in the peanut gallery, the collision was not as violent as one would expect to stop a damn heart.

He did reach with his left hand to steady himself but the way he went straight back arms stretched out was a parent's and players worst nightmare to witness.

My daughter called me immediately as events were unfolding to ask ..... "Are you ok dad ?" Answer: No

The time it took the NFL to make a decision to suspend speaks volumes. Bad shade as the kids call it.

Comment

Working...
                          X