• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I'm not impressed with Payton, starting with what I brought up about his time with the Giants. I also don't think his time with the Saints was as great as some here are making it out to be. People act like he's Bill Walsh. He's not.

I think Harbaugh is the much better candidate.
    Payton had a record of 152-89 as a coach with a ring and 9 playoff appearances - I’m not sure I’d call that overrated. Jim Harbaugh had 3 great seasons with the 49ers and burned out everyone by his 4th year and went to Michigan after the team collapsed. He is far more suited for college where players are gone before he wears them down. I’d far rather have Payton but either would be an upgrade over what we have. We won’t pay for either though, so at best it is an exercise in wishful thinking.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

The 49ers success is 95% related directly to the roster
      I think they have the best roster aside from the QB postion in the league to go along with a great coach.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
        Chargers Hall of Fame
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Worked great in first half and then second half the wheels flew off the Bus!
        But what role is Hill playing in that? Does Staley step back during a game and mostly let Hill call the plays? I just can't see that being the case. Maybe Staley needs to bring in someone who offers more in terms of strategies and ideas.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

But what role is Hill playing in that? Does Staley step back during a game and mostly let Hill call the plays? I just can't see that being the case. Maybe Staley needs to bring in someone who offers more in terms of strategies and ideas.
          Unless we can somehow get Fangio to come in and run this scheme as it is supposed to be run, I’d rather blow it up and go in a different direction. I don’t see that happening though.

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Payton had a record of 152-89 as a coach with a ring and 9 playoff appearances - I’m not sure I’d call that overrated. Jim Harbaugh had 3 great seasons with the 49ers and burned out everyone by his 4th year and went to Michigan after the team collapsed. He is far more suited for college where players are gone before he wears them down. I’d far rather have Payton but either would be an upgrade over what we have. We won’t pay for either though, so at best it is an exercise in wishful thinking.
            Why does this feel like we are choosing either Marty or Norv again? LOL

Marty - wears on guys - playoff choker
            Norv - "offensive genius who won super bowls in Dallas"

In the end, Marty great in regular season and getting guys to learn how to win week to tweek. Norv a good O - coordinator who is probably overrated due to the rosters he had.

Why is nobody bringing up the Sean Payton collapses in playoffs?

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Unfortunately, I believe this to be the case. Deano ain't spending shit and he certainly isn't giving Staley $10 mil to walk. Lombardi is probably the sacrificial lamb, but that'll be it.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Why is nobody bringing up the Sean Payton collapses in playoffs?
                Because he has a ring?

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Because he has a ring?
                  Yep. And this franchise has None.

Comment

• BigBad
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Because he has a ring?
                    How did Jimmy Johnson do in Miami? He had 2 rings.
                    How did Gruden do with 2nd stint with Raiders?

There is so much variance and variables. I've been watching NFL too long to buy into one ring means anything.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

How did Jimmy Johnson do in Miami? He had 2 rings.
                      How did Gruden do with 2nd stint with Raiders?

There is so much variance and variables. I've been watching NFL too long to buy into one ring means anything.
                      There are a lot of things that go into winning and no coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. However, he knows how to coach and we’d get a lot more out of our roster than we have with the last 3 coaches.

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

There are a lot of things that go into winning and no coach has ever won a SB with two different teams. However, he knows how to coach and we’d get a lot more out of our roster than we have with the last 3 coaches.
                        And how would people be acting with four straight years of this? HINT: People would want a coach "to get us over the hump"

2017-2020
                        4 straight division champs
                        11, 13, 13, 12 wins
                        2-4 playoff record
                        Including EPIC loss to Vikings in last second?

I'm just not giving up draft picks and capital for a no guarantee.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

And how would people be acting with four straight years of this? HINT: People would want a coach "to get us over the hump"

2017-2020
                          4 straight division champs
                          11, 13, 13, 12 wins
                          2-4 playoff record
                          Including EPIC loss to Vikings in last second?

I'm just not giving up draft picks and capital for a no guarantee.
                          What coaching hire is ever guaranteed to be a success? This roster has underachieved so what do you want - a credible coach with a ring? A veteran coach like Reich who never won anything and his teams underachieved? Yet another unproven you coordinator?

Comment

Working...
                          X