• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
    That’s a pretty good question. Payton is an offensive football coach/obsessive schemer he’s not the system guy people think he is. He adjusts his scheme to suit his personnel. When Brees was young the Saints led the league in downfield throwing they were an all out deep air show. When Brees got older and they had Michael Thomas they morphed into mostly a short throwing team. When he was in Dallas the cowboys ran the ball and took deep shots with Drew Bledsoe. Payton is also a lot more Parcells physical pound the ball coach than people think. He wants to run the ball and dominate the line of scrimmage.

Lombardi seems incapable of adjusting from the late saints scheme.

You also see this a lot with all the shanahan coaches. Some of them go to other places and totally shit the bed. They’re not shanahan. They might copy what shanahan does but they’re not him. Watching the 49ers game yesterday Shanahan is coaching and scheming offensive circles around the rest of the NFL.

You’ve described what every coach should do but few are capable of doing which is scheme around their player’s strengths. Seems simple and guys pay lip service to it but it’s rare in practice. What Shanahan is doing with Brock Purdy is a master class

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
      Why do people think Payton would be a good fit with Herbert? Lombardi is running the Saints' offense Payton used for Drew Brees, a completely different quarterback from Herbert.

I obviously want Harbaugh, but I would take Shane Steichen (head coach) and Pep Hamilton (offensive coordinator) over Payton.
      One would hope the offense around Herbert would be something like the bills

And that play by the Bills - 60 yard bomb to Diggs - the Chargers do not have that with Williams Allen or Palmer

They NEED to add that. Thats fine to keep the other three - but they need a guy who can beat his man at the line and get deep

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

Look at the entirety of Payton’s tenure with the Saints, he effectively tailored the offense to the strengths of the best players. It was an aggressive downfield passing attack with prime Brees but it became a much more methodical, precision-based passing attack with a diminished Brees. They even became a run-heavy team in 2017 with Ingram and Kamara collectively rushing for like 1800 yards.

I'm not impressed with Payton, starting with what I brought up about his time with the Giants. I also don't think his time with the Saints was as great as some here are making it out to be. People act like he's Bill Walsh. He's not.

I think Harbaugh is the much better candidate.

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The question is, what makes you think Payton has the right offense for Herbert. Before becoming a head coach he was the offensive coordinator for the Giants and was hated nearly the entire time he was there. He had his play-calling responsibilities removed from him by Jim Fassel in 2002, and they went on a winning streak into the playoffs after that. He was also the play-caller in one of the worst Super Bowl blowouts of all time--Ravens 34, Giants 7. The Giants' only points came on a kick return in that disaster.
          I think he brings in somebody for that. I'm more concerned about this team winning a Super Bowl than whether or not Herbie throws for 5,000 yards. I think Herbie is, too.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

I’d say there’s a semi decent chance Payton ends up coaching here because of Telesco. From what I understand his contract wasn’t renewed prior to this season and this has been his contract year. Obviously Staley has been given much more personnel power the last year. I think the plan may have been to let Telesco leave anfter this season and bring in a GM that Staley wants to work with. Staley would have final say. But how this season ended throws a lot to cold water on that idea. Maybe you don’t want to fire Staley but how can you give him more power now? How would you trust him to bring in a good new O coordinator?

Hiring Payton kills both birds. Actually it kills 3 birds. You get:

A: A GM (he’d have a GM in name working with him but Payton would have all the power)

B: A head football coach

C: One of the best offensive coordinators for your young QB

$20 mm a year gets you all that. For those reasons it’s not as far fetched as a lot of people think.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I think he brings in somebody for that. I'm more concerned about this team winning a Super Bowl than whether or not Herbie throws for 5,000 yards. I think Herbie is, too.
              I'm not so sure about that. If I remember correctly, his longtime offensive coordinator in New Orleans didn't start calling the plays until Payton left.

I'm also more concerned about the team winning the Super Bowl, which is why I think a head coach who prides on winning the line of scrimmage (Harbaugh) is a better fit than a passing game guru who was tailor made for Drew Brees in a dome.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                Chargers Hall of Fame
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

They will keep Staley. There were so many injuries, including Herbert (we'll find out the extent of his injury soon enough) that Staley will get another year to get it right.

But he will HAVE to make some changes to the staff. Foremost, Lombo. Lombo will be let go (if not, this whole thing is unfixable) and, quite possibly, Hill.

When Staley got a new Special Teams coach, it turned that unit around (and you could see real time adjustments in games in the special teams that made improvements...so damn good). Staley desperately needs better coaches under him. I don't fully understand Hill's role. But whatever he does, it ain't working.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                  I’d say there’s a semi decent chance Payton ends up coaching here because of Telesco. From what I understand his contract wasn’t renewed prior to this season and this has been his contract year. Obviously Staley has been given much more personnel power the last year. I think the plan may have been to let Telesco leave anfter this season and bring in a GM that Staley wants to work with. Staley would have final say. But how this season ended throws a lot to cold water on that idea. Maybe you don’t want to fire Staley but how can you give him more power now? How would you trust him to bring in a good new O coordinator?

Hiring Payton kills both birds. Actually it kills 3 birds. You get:

A: A GM (he’d have a GM in name working with him but Payton would have all the power)

B: A head football coach

C: One of the best offensive coordinators for your young QB

$20 mm a year gets you all that. For those reasons it’s not as far fetched as a lot of people think.
                  Bonus is he has Fangio so he can tell them the defensive system will be familiar to the players

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bonus is he has Fangio so he can tell them the defensive system will be familiar to the players
                    Correct.

Fangio and Payton have the Saints connection. Fangio coached the LB group the Dome Patrol of Sam Mills, Pat Swilling, Rickey Jackson, & Vaughn Johnson, while Payton is the best head coach in Saint history. This is not nice but Coach Payton does not lose that ballgame last night with Justin Herbert at QB.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
                      They will keep Staley. There were so many injuries, including Herbert (we'll find out the extent of his injury soon enough) that Staley will get another year to get it right.

But he will HAVE to make some changes to the staff. Foremost, Lombo. Lombo will be let go (if not, this whole thing is unfixable) and, quite possibly, Hill.

When Staley got a new Special Teams coach, it turned that unit around (and you could see real time adjustments in games in the special teams that made improvements...so damn good). Staley desperately needs better coaches under him. I don't fully understand Hill's role. But whatever he does, it ain't working.
                      Worked great in first half and then second half the wheels flew off the Bus!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• BigBad
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        . What Shanahan is doing with Brock Purdy is a master class
                        The 49ers success is 95% related directly to the roster

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Yeah I forgot about that with Fangio. The defensive system wouldnt need to change at all. The offensive verbiage wouldn’t change either

Really you put all that together it makes too much sense not to do it.

Comment

Working...
                          X