• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Comment

• BigBad
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

What coaching hire is ever guaranteed to be a success? This roster has underachieved so what do you want - a credible coach with a ring? A veteran coach like Reich who never won anything and his teams underachieved? Yet another unproven you coordinator?
      I'd agree with Lombardi basically sucking but I actually don't think the roster has underachieved as much as the construction of it has. Too many FANS over rate guys on this team and underestimate the lack of real players at spots.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

I'd agree with Lombardi basically sucking but I actually don't think the roster has underachieved as much as the construction of it has. Too many FANS over rate guys on this team and underestimate the lack of real players at spots.
        Yeah I kinda chuckle when my non-Chargers friends ask me "how can you be losing games with that much talent?"

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• JOJAX85
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2018
          • Irmo, SC
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

All good points.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

The answer long-term is still a young HC, as crazy as it seems. The problem is of course the Spanos' ability to evaluate that talent effectively for adaptability, creativity as well as overall leadership, management, improvisational and organizational skills.

For now, the hope is Jim Harbaugh will be a candidate and willing to take the role as HC for 6-7 years or so, and hopefully within that timeframe, a younger HC can be groomed to take his place when he retires. At least with Jim, we know the track record and he has been able to revive the coaching careers of Vic Fangio, Greg Roman as well as the careers of players such as Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Donte Whitner, NaVorro Bowman, not to mention somehow developing Colin Kaepernick into a starting Superbowl QB.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Isn't he the ESPN beat writer for all LA teams? Seems like wish casting from him. And to be honest, history would not be on Payton's side, re:winning a SB with two different teams. And the Chargers black cloud the next coach has to overcome is a big enough obstacle already.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

Player development Subpar. Oline play subpar. Play design Subpar. List goes on....
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2020
                  • Send PM

Another thing to consider: there are two very big problems over in Kansas City as to why other coaches aren't very eager to jump into this position.

I think some people are over-exaggerating how much Payton or any experienced coach wants to come here because of that.

Payton's reputation is fine as a winning coach, going against Mahomes and Reid is a football nightmare and will bring any coach's win percentage down significantly.

If anyone really wants the job it'll be either another young coach or a first-timer looking to prove something imo. Maybe an offensive coordinator looking to step up.

I can see a duo like Steichen (HC) and Pep (OC) being up to the challenge and taking on the role extremely well, but I think that's too good to be true - especially the way we dogged them and Lynn in the past. Why go into this situation when you can wait and see where Caleb Williams lands and if he lands on a competent organization?

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Isn't he the ESPN beat writer for all LA teams? Seems like wish casting from him. And to be honest, history would not be on Payton's side, re:winning a SB with two different teams. And the Chargers black cloud the next coach has to overcome is a big enough obstacle already.
                    Records are meant to be broken. LOL!
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                      The answer long-term is still a young HC, as crazy as it seems. The problem is of course the Spanos' ability to evaluate that talent effectively for adaptability, creativity as well as overall leadership, management, improvisational and organizational skills.

For now, the hope is Jim Harbaugh will be a candidate and willing to take the role as HC for 6-7 years or so, and hopefully within that timeframe, a younger HC can be groomed to take his place when he retires. At least with Jim, we know the track record and he has been able to revive the coaching careers of Vic Fangio, Greg Roman as well as the careers of players such as Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, not to mention somehow developing Colin Kaepernick into a starting Superbowl QB.
                      I'm on the Harbaugh bandwagon. Plus the timing seems right for him to return to the NFL and finally win a Superbowl.

Truth be told I wish we could clone Kyle Shanahan and the entire SF coaching staff. So fucking jealous.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post
                        Another thing to consider: there are two very big problems over in Kansas City as to why other coaches aren't very eager to jump into this position.

I think some people are over-exaggerating how much Payton or any experienced coach wants to come here because of that.

Payton's reputation is fine as a winning coach, going against Mahomes and Reid is a football nightmare and will bring any coach's win percentage down significantly.

If anyone really wants the job it'll be either another young coach or a first-timer looking to prove something imo. Maybe an offensive coordinator looking to step up.

I can see a duo like Steichen (HC) and Pep (OC) being up to the challenge and taking on the role extremely well, but I think that's too good to be true - especially the way we dogged them and Lynn in the past. Why go into this situation when you can wait and see where Caleb Williams lands and if he lands on a competent organization?
                        I'd honestly promote Ryan Ficken to HC as I've seen enough to know he can manage, but the doubt with him is his ability to assemble a full staff due to possible lack of connections available for outreach and the potential recurring problem that will inevitably arise if he does find successful coordinators to coach their respective groups -- turnover. In that regard, Steichen is a better option and bet long-term just with his ability to maintain offensive continuity -- the only question mark being as with every OC/DC that becomes a first-time HC -- can he actually manage a team as an HC?

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Perhaps,

but Staley will get absolutely skewered in the national media ....
                          a very bad look if you want to get a foothold in the LA market.

You can't continue with him.
                          Preach.

Comment

Working...
                          X