• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

There are about 4 of ya who share that opinion.
    Doesn't mean it's wrong . . . . . . . . . (or right ). Just an opinion - like everyone elses . . . . .

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

We heard what you think bro. We get it.
      the dude your opinion GIF
      the-dude-abide.gif

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

What were Mack's numbers for comparison? And we would need him as a backup - not for all world . . . . . . .

I looked up the stats just for fun;

KVN: 2022 702 snaps, 46 total tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's - 2022 salary $2,250,000
        KM: 2022 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's - 2023 salary $22,900,000, $16,632,500 cap hit

KM is better (marginally), but not by as much as you would think considering he's 'all world' in everyone's opinion (he's not any more).

KVN has shown he's more than adequate as a backup. Adjusted for snap count the lines would look like this:

KVN: 861 snaps, 56 total tackles, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's (all adjusted 1.22% and rounded down)
        KM: 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's​

Now figure in the salaries. Why wouldn't we be considering KVN as a backup again this year? Assuming that he would sign a contract similar to last years??????????

I'm actually quite surprised by this analysis / comparison. Is KVN as good as KM? No - but conversely is KM 10 time better than KVN? Cause that's what we're paying him. This analysis highlights the team's failure to allocate cap $$$'s properly. It's not just Mack, it's Bosa and James as well. It's not that these guys aren't good players (even Bosa ), it's that they don't produce to their salaries. IMO this is on management. These salaries are currently a millstone around the team's neck - hamstringing their ability to bring in more talent.
        How often were offenses keying in on Kyle Van Noy last year?

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

KVN himself said (or implied) that the team didn't want him back, and wanted to go younger. My point was why WASN'T KVN being considered as a backup (other than the stated age thing)? His numbers almost matched Mack's - for 1/10 the cost (probably), a guy you know understands the system, proven productive (as a backup), strong leader, former SB champ . . . . . . . but we're going to go another way - go younger?? Which 'younger' guy is out there who can give us what KVN can?

I'm just confused by management's decision making process here - I would have thought KVN (at the same salary as last year) would have been a slam dunk . . . . . . 90% of Mack's production for 1/10 of Mack's cost - talk about weird . . . . . . particularly considering how needy we are at the backup edge position - is this a special teams thing?
          Sometimes, you have to evaluate whether your young players can do the job ...... and then go with them if you think they can do it.
          It will never happen when they are sitting on the bench, because you are sticking vets out there.
          30 year + vets wear out at the season's end.

They liked JaSir Taylor a lot. He looked good throughout the season, and then looked like crap in the playoff game.
          2nd year players get quite a bit better.

With Van Noy, I guess they don't need him at linebacker because of Henley,
          and they would prefer to go with Tuli/Rumph at edge.

Do you have faith in the Chargers ability to make such evaluations?
          I don't - but I can see what they are thinking.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The only thing I said about Carter is that he was a good value signing. They got a lot out of him for the money he was earning last season. When the top of the WR corps was decimated by injury he stepped in and made a few plays, he did more than was expected of him. He was signed to be the KR and No. 5 WR. He ended up playing the same number of snaps as MW and more that Keenan or Everett for that matter. Only Palmer played more snaps. Carter had 46 catches for 538 yds. He scored 3 TDs and converted 29 1st downs. His catch rate was 71%. Additionally, he was second in the league in average yards per punt return. He did all that on a $1.135 mil contract. So yeah, I do tend to talk up the little guy who overachieves, who plays beyond his physical size and expectations and his contract.

James, on other hand, is the highest paid safety in football and last season did not demonstrate he is worth $20 mil per season.
            #1 WR corps in the league is what you said and using Carter as a reason. I told you no many times they werent as others did and said we are probably around 7th and you angrily asked why i keep bagging on our WRs. Hey im just honest, not a homer and gave my reasons but you are stubborn. No big deal, you saw you werent correct.

We actually got more from Malcolm Floyd making less....and Carter wasnt brought back,..... so believe what you want.

So wrong ....and James, wrong!
            11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
            35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
            37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
            66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
            69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
            100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
            110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
            140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
            181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
            225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Doesn't mean it's wrong . . . . . . . . . (or right ). Just an opinion - like everyone elses . . . . .
              I hear ya and agree. Everybody has opinions but some like to insist on keeping at them even when others try to explain why they are wrong. Know the difference between a SS and a FS....and a SS being moved around doing other things not remotely close to a FS. Just ridiculous to blame a game on 1 play.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

How often were offenses keying in on Kyle Van Noy last year?
                Zero

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Zero
                  You know, even though you didn’t get a single pick right off your totally wrong mock draft, you basically nailed positions (I’m real torn between Kincade/Johnston).

The one position you didn’t mock was a late round QB. I’m not saying Duggan is the one (other than TCU trifecta) but Stick is and has been a waste of roster spot. Any chance Max Duggan beats him out in your opinion?

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Sometimes, you have to evaluate whether your young players can do the job ...... and then go with them if you think they can do it.
                    It will never happen when they are sitting on the bench, because you are sticking vets out there.
                    30 year + vets wear out at the season's end.

They liked JaSir Taylor a lot. He looked good throughout the season, and then looked like crap in the playoff game.
                    2nd year players get quite a bit better.

With Van Noy, I guess they don't need him at linebacker because of Henley,
                    and they would prefer to go with Tuli/Rumph at edge.

Do you have faith in the Chargers ability to make such evaluations?
                    I don't - but I can see what they are thinking.

LOL!
                    Sometimes they get it right.
                    No telling how long it'll last but I want to see this D front 7 come out healthy, take a game over and start subbing our depth.Call the shot and send them.
                    Do that and the DBs will have some fun.
                    Depth is always a question but if the starters are rockin and rolling, we can rotate subs in more often. They learn more playing in a successful front.
                    I very much like Bosa, A Johnson, Bash, Fox, Mack
                    K9, Kendricks.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

You know, even though you didn’t get a single pick right off your totally wrong mock draft, you basically nailed positions (I’m real torn between Kincade/Johnston).

The one position you didn’t mock was a late round QB. I’m not saying Duggan is the one (other than TCU trifecta) but Stick is and has been a waste of roster spot. Any chance Max Duggan beats him out in your opinion?
                      I think Duggan has a shot. He played in a National Championship vs NFL level D players, and lost but he took his team there. He worked well with QJ & DD.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I think Duggan has a shot. He played in a National Championship vs NFL level D players, and lost but he took his team there. He worked well with QJ & DD.
                        Just imagine what he can do with adequate blocking in front of him. I don't think he had that during his college career.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

#1 WR corps in the league is what you said and using Carter as a reason. I told you no many times they werent as others did and said we are probably around 7th and you angrily asked why i keep bagging on our WRs. Hey im just honest, not a homer and gave my reasons but you are stubborn. No big deal, you saw you werent correct.
                          I said the Chargers had one of the best WR corps in the league with KA, MW, JP, JG, and Carter at the No. 5 spot. And it would've been had injuries not taken out KA, MW and JG for most of the season.

I said Carter may be the best No. 5 WR in the league, and I was right.

Carter had to step up and be the No. 2 guy to Palmer and he did a decent job of it. He was never intended to fulfill that role. But he didn't complain, he just went out and over-achieved relative to his contract and what he was expected to do. And all the while he was the league's 2nd best punt returner.

I challenge you to go through the depth charts of the other 31 teams and find one bottom of the depth chart WR who is more accomplished than Carter, who was capable of stepping in the way Carter did last season. You won't find one.

They didn't bring Carter back because they targeted DD in the draft to serve as a younger, long-term answer in that role.

Carter didn't last long in FA, signing a contract with the Raiders that will pay him $1.5 mil this season - a raise of nearly 50 percent over what the Chargers paid him last season. Which proves that I was correct about Carter being a value signing for the Chargers who played better than his contract. The fact that a division rival who saw Carter play twice last season quickly snapped him up is further evidence of this.

Comment

Working...
                          X