Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True but like anything else, when he got his chance he proved to be the better guy. Sometimes all some dudes need is a chance. Not sure why they cant see that in practice and it takes an injury to force their hand. Getting injured derailed Drew Bledsoe's career and vaulted Bradys.
    I agree but again. If you know Utah's offense like I do. They leaned on their TE's because of a weak WR group. I think Kincaid will be a good TE. Not 1st round good though.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I have the feeling that Woods is the starting safety going into training camp. If he fails, we look at final roster cuts for a vet. So no signing of a S for now.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        I have the feeling that Woods is the starting safety going into training camp. If he fails, we look at final roster cuts for a vet. So no signing of a S for now.
        Agreed. Woods has size and speed that can't be coached. Add position discipline, he should be good to go.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

True but like anything else, when he got his chance he proved to be the better guy. Sometimes all some dudes need is a chance. Not sure why they cant see that in practice and it takes an injury to force their hand. Getting injured derailed Drew Bledsoe's career and vaulted Bradys.
          I heard Nate Burleson (former WR with Vikings and Seahawks) talk about this.

He said that as a young player in the NFL he saw "unproven guys" selling out in practice, and getting hurt. Burleson refused to put himself at risk, "unless it counted". (eg-- was in a game)

When someone ahead of him on the depth chart got hurt, Burleson got his opportunity to play, and the coaches saw a different guy. He was a starter thereafter.

Not saying that *this* is how it works for most NFL receivers; only that it helps explain why coaches sometimes don't see everything a guy's got in practice.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Agreed. Woods has size and speed that can't be coached. Add position discipline, he should be good to go.
            I sure hope so, but it's not something I'd ever wager money on! (Not that I'm a bettering guy in the first place. I'm not!)

How often do we see a player go from "Lost" to "Boss"? Or more to the point, how SELDOM do we see it? It sure didn't happen with Jonas Mouton, Max Tuerk, Mikhael Ricks or Bryan Still. So I'm definitely in "wait and see" mode.

Hopefully, during the offseason he got in touch with the DB version of Duke Manyweather.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I sure hope so, but it's not something I'd ever wager money on! (Not that I'm a bettering guy in the first place. I'm not!)

How often do we see a player go from "Lost" to "Boss"? Or more to the point, how SELDOM do we see it? It sure didn't happen with Jonas Mouton, Max Tuerk, Mikhael Ricks or Bryan Still. So I'm definitely in "wait and see" mode.

Hopefully, during the offseason he got in touch with the DB version of Duke Manyweather.
              Players improve from rookie to year 2 all the time. Clearly no guarantees but just as clearly they liked. "HBK"s college Ints and PDs. https://baylorbears.com/sports/footb...jt-woods/10548 Practicing with DJ should help.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Players improve from rookie to year 2 all the time. Clearly no guarantees but just as clearly they liked. "HBK"s college Ints and PDs. https://baylorbears.com/sports/footb...jt-woods/10548 Practicing with DJ should help.
                Depends on who you ask
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Players improve from rookie to year 2 all the time. .
                  Well... sure. But were not just talking about ALL players going into Year 2, some of whom played FAR better as rookies than J.T. Woods did.

We're talking about a specific guy, a Day 2 draft pick, who was so in over his head, he rarely got game snaps. When he did? He got toasted.

So I'm talking about a guy who pretty much bombed as a rook. And guys who bombed as rooks *don't* typically "improve from rookie to year 2 all the time".

So... holding my breath, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

TT has drafted OL heavily after taking Jaimes, cuz did not work out. TT did not draft safety after taking Woods.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      TT has drafted OL heavily after taking Jaimes, cuz did not work out. TT did not draft safety after taking Woods.
                      So, do you think he's moving Jaimes to Safety?
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        If TT was going to replace Woods with a draft pick, wouldn't it most likely have to be a higher pick than Woods was, himself? I mean... if you draft a safety in the 5th round, is it really practical to think he's going to start at safety over Woods, or anybody else?!?

Since the only draft that's taken place since Woods was drafted is the most recent one, that would mean Telesco drafted a safety ahead of QJ, Tui or Henley.

In your opinion, were there safeties available when the Bolts were on the clock that would have been better value than the players they actually selected?

Even if Telesco is wanting to upgrade over Woods, I'd contend he addressed more urgent needs with the players he selected.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Well... sure. But were not just talking about ALL players going into Year 2, some of whom played FAR better as rookies than J.T. Woods did.

We're talking about a specific guy, a Day 2 draft pick, who was so in over his head, he rarely got game snaps. When he did? He got toasted.

So I'm talking about a guy who pretty much bombed as a rook. And guys who bombed as rooks *don't* typically "improve from rookie to year 2 all the time".

So... holding my breath, crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.
                          Woods was behind DJ, Nas and Gilman and no, he didn't look good in spot play. I thought it was him trying too hard, thinking too much. HBK Might be great, might not.
                          Currently, Nas' retirement left the FS job open for him. It won't take a lot to replace or upgrade the low avg Adderley.
                          No doubt why he was drafted. Woods will get his shot at FS on the field and we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X