• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

It doesn't make much sense to release Allen if you can trade him. You save more $$$ if released but you get nothing in return. If we're going to get rid
    of Allen at least get something in return. When healthy Allen still has a lot in the tank. Personally I'd restructure his contract because he probably still
    has 2-3 very good years in him.
    Agree with this . . . . I would kick the can down the road on Allen's contract (2 / 3 years max) and try to move Bosa instead to get more cap relief.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
      FUdean
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

If the spanos really want to make a statement, they would dump that pos Bozo. That dude doesn't belong on any team. And in fact, I'd dump Allen too just for wearing that stoopid fuking Raider hat a few years back.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

i WOULD tRade John JEfferson and Fred DeAn and JiM lAchey
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agree with this . . . . I would kick the can down the road on Allen's contract (2 / 3 years max) and try to move Bosa instead to get more cap relief.
          Actually this would be my preference too -- re-work the Allen contract and trade Bosa. Easier said than done though. Bosa - you need a trade partner

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            1) they recovered nicely with Wes Chandler

2) such a unique player at the same. there are a lot of "Fred Deans" today, smaller DE's that use quickness to get around the corner. Not many back in the day

3) ortmayer was a mole for the Raiders trading Lachey for the big (tub of) Clay

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

1) they recovered nicely with Wes Chandler

2) such a unique player at the same. there are a lot of "Fred Deans" today, smaller DE's that use quickness to get around the corner. Not many back in the day

3) ortmayer was a mole for the Raiders trading Lachey for the big (tub of) Clay
              Ortmayer, what a tool that guy was.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson is regarded as the best tackle in the league and he just so happens to play right tackle for the Eagles. Chiefs RT Andrew Wylie was also exceptional in his play yesterday, I thought the lines were exceptional. I believe that the Chargers line has 4/5 components to compete at a very high level and RT should be addressed in the 1st Round. Trey Pipkens is still a question mark to me - due to snaps missed, contract situation weighs into it, and legitimate concerns about his level of consistency in the run game. It's Trey Pipkens' overall baseline.

I believe it makes more sense to do exactly what Pete Carroll and John Schneider did in Seattle by going with RT Abraham Lucas and LT Charles Cross, starting two rookies at tackle. Outrageous. I love it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/...0-018ed99f5183

Kellen Moore has an eye for talent on the offense.

2022 #24 overall pick Tyler Smith

Spring 2022 - "We’ll let the thing play itself out through the entire offseason," Moore said. "At times, we may bump him out at tackle and may let it play itself out. So, it’s a pretty good start.”

Moore is taking a day-by-day, step-by-step approach with Smith, remaining mum when asked about the warning signs of a possible positional shift.

"We’ve got baselines for everyone," he said. "We’ll see where the roster takes you.”

Head coach Mike McCarthy concurred, warning fans to not get "too caught up on exactly where Tyler is playing.”

Smith, the 24th overall pick in Las Vegas last month, has spent the weekend working alongside fourth-round choice Matt Waletzko on the left side of the line. He primarily played tackle during his time with the Golden Hurricane but is enthusiastic about his new interior work after his first day on the job.

"It was a change, for sure. But I felt like, today, I really rose to the challenge," Smith said. “Of course, there's more to improve upon. (For example), I even realize that, just in the way I step. It's all different."

"But having (offensive line coaches Jeff Blasko and Joe Philbin) teach me and taking me through the steps, they're doing a great job getting me up to speed."
                Tyler Smith was moved to left tackle and draft analysts graded his play higher than rookie OT Ikem Ekwonu of Carolina. I am a proponent of the idea of letting Kellen Moore draft a blue chip RT and let his staff coach him up.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Truth. But please don’t get rid of any we have, Allen with more threats on the field = even more effective.
                  Players price themselves out of markets. I am not going to get past those 7 games Keenan Allen missed this season. Ain't happenin'.

OTOH, in 2022, Kellen Moore was instrumental in the selection of the #88 pick overall in the 2022 draft of South Alabama WR Jalen Tolbert.

Spring 2022 - The early stages of the NFL Draft allowed the Dallas Cowboys to regroup after their offense went through an uncomfortable offseason.

Plenty of veteran firepower returns, but the team had to address the offseason departures of La'el Collins, Amari Cooper, and Cedrick Wilson. Two of their first three picks addressed those not-so-happy trails: their opening pick was used on Tulsa blocker Tyler Smith while South Alabama receiver Jalen Tolbert arrived in the third round.

Coordinator Kellen Moore, the overseer of the Dallas offense, is aware that this weekend's rookie minicamp won't fully prepare Smith and Tolbert for the difficult process of making fans forget those lost contributors. He did, however, partly outline a plan to get started, notably hinting that he wanted to throw the two in as many scenarios as possible.

Smith, for example, is currently hypothesized to fill the left guard spot vacated by Miami-bound Connor Williams. Moore, however, was quick to say that he plans to move Smith in a variety of roles.

Tolbert was the 88th overall selection who thrust himself to Day 2 with a productive Senior Bowl. Moore plans to start him out in the Z-receiver's role left behind by Cedrick Wilson, who joins Williams with the Dolphins.

In the same breath, however, the Dallas offensive boss expressed a desire to give the USA alum snaps in the slot. It's a challenge that, in Moore's eyes, Tolbert's work ethic has already earned.

"We’ll get him moved all around the field. We like to do that with a number of our receivers. So, we’ll do the same thing with him," Moore said. "He’s awesome. I think he works his tail off. I think you can tell how prepared he is and how detailed he wants to be. I think he’s going to be a really good addition for us."

What the hell is the takeaway from all this? Dallas Cowboys advanced to the divisional round of the playoffs. To me, it looks like the critics in Dallas were saying the offense had lost too much firepower. Yet, it made the playoffs and advanced over the 2021 squad.

2022 1 1 24 24 Tyler Smith T Tulsa
                  2 2 24 56 Sam Williams DE Mississippi
                  3 3 24 88 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama
                  4 4 24 129 Jake Ferguson TE Wisconsin
                  5 5 12 155 Matt Waletzko T North Dakota
                  6 5 24 167 DaRon Bland DB Fresno State
                  7 5 33 176 Damone Clark LB Louisiana State
                  8 5 35 178 John Ridgeway DT Arkansas
                  9 6 14 193 Devin Harper LB Oklahoma State

Bottomline: The 2023 Los Angeles Chargers should use the 2022 Dallas Cowboys draft model to inform the Chargers' draft stratagem, if not outright copy the first two picks if not the pattern of the entire first four rounds.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    Drugs are good . . . .

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

It's a myth. KA doesn't get doubled. Most teams play zone and KA kills zones. KA did get doubled in the Jags game on some plays (3rd down). That's because the
                      Jags realized without KA we had nothing going on the receiving end. Our big problem this year, with no MW or KA or both we had nothing going in as far as the
                      passing game goes. Without a run game our offense stagnated. This is exactly why we need another play maker or two on offense.
                      Make up your mind. Does he get doubled, or not? Of course he gets doubled... of course he kills zone. He's of the best route runners, he's also one of the best at finding open spots in a zone. He's a playmaker. So is MW. So is Ekeler. You're acting as if the injuries are going to be historic bad every year. They're not. Injuries can happen to rookies, too.

OL isn't your typical playmaker. But they certainly counter them. I don't think the Eagles had a single sack in the SB.
                      I agree with you on one point... the run game needs to develop. In order to develop, they'll need to actually commit to the run until they get it right. Everyone knows what a run game can do for the pass game.

If you value RB's and WR's over OL... you'll be really disappointed in your rookie "playmakers"...

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson is regarded as the best tackle in the league and he just so happens to play right tackle for the Eagles. Chiefs RT Andrew Wylie was also exceptional in his play yesterday, I thought the lines were exceptional. I believe that the Chargers line has 4/5 components to compete at a very high level and RT should be addressed in the 1st Round. Trey Pipkens is still a question mark to me - due to snaps missed, contract situation weighs into it, and legitimate concerns about his level of consistency in the run game. It's Trey Pipkens' overall baseline.

I believe it makes more sense to do exactly what Pete Carroll and John Schneider did in Seattle by going with RT Abraham Lucas and LT Charles Cross, starting two rookies at tackle. Outrageous. I love it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/...0-018ed99f5183

Kellen Moore has an eye for talent on the offense.

2022 #24 overall pick Tyler Smith

Tyler Smith was moved to left tackle and draft analysts graded his play higher than rookie OT Ikem Ekwonu of Carolina. I am a proponent of the idea of letting Kellen Moore draft a blue chip RT and let his staff coach him up.
                        With another 1st round OT, this offense could finally live up to its potential. With the offense living up to its potential (gaining early leads) the game would play into the defense's strength (pass defense).

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

With another 1st round OT, this offense could finally live up to its potential. With the offense living up to its potential (gaining early leads) the game would play into the defense's strength (pass defense).
                          Seattle and Dallas built their 2022 playoff runs with that approach you describe. Dallas already had an outstanding tackle yet they took another. Hell, Pete Carroll took two as they face Nick Bosa twice a season. If I'm Kellen Moore, I'm giving a Powerpoint presentation to the Charger front office on how the Cowboys offense was built through the draft, with the onus on the talent on the offensive line.

Comment

Working...
                          X