• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I'm going to repeat what I said after Week 2.
    We outplayed the Chiefs. I'm not afraid of the Chiefs...
    the SB Champs.

I'm keeping Mack and Bosa. Why would I provide Patty Mahommes comfort...?
    I saw what happened to Mahommes (2 SB's ago) when he got pressured. Is OBJ coming back? One more year... the timing is right.

I'm keeping Keenan and Mike. Our WR's are better than the Chiefs WR's. 3 out of the 4 starting secondary players for the Chiefs (McDuffie, Watson, Cook) were on Nutty's wish list last year... so I like them. But they're not ready for KA, MW and JP. Ball control offenses can beat the Chiefs. Keep Patty/Kelce on the bench. Build your OL... we're almost there!

Re-structure,-Re-structure, Cut and Extend. We can get there...
    KA, MW and JP aren't scaring anybody on defense
    Even Austin Ekeler isn't

The Chargers need an upgrade on offense in athleticism and speed

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Even Austin Ekeler isn't

This just isn't true. KA often gets doubled. In zone, he gets bracketed. MW is a problem deep when in single coverage... he wins the jump ball consistently. Austin Ekeler must always be accounted for... he's led the league in TD's over the last 2 years. Kellen Moore will find a way to use these 3 more effectively.

Finish off the OL and these 3 will be even better.
      A more balanced approach on offense will be the key.
      Salyer @LG will replace our weakest link (Feiler). An upgrade @RT (through the draft) will make the run game better and give Herbert more time/protection... and open up the field vertically.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Even Austin Ekeler isn't

What team are you a fan of?
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

This just isn't true. KA often gets doubled. In zone, he gets bracketed. MW is a problem deep when in single coverage... he wins the jump ball consistently. Austin Ekeler must always be accounted for... he's led the league in TD's over the last 2 years. Kellen Moore will find a way to use these 3 more effectively.

Finish off the OL and these 3 will be even better.
          A more balanced approach on offense will be the key.
          Salyer @LG will replace our weakest link (Feiler). An upgrade @RT (through the draft) will make the run game better and give Herbert more time/protection... and open up the field vertically.
          It's a myth. KA doesn't get doubled. Most teams play zone and KA kills zones. KA did get doubled in the Jags game on some plays (3rd down). That's because the
          Jags realized without KA we had nothing going on the receiving end. Our big problem this year, with no MW or KA or both we had nothing going in as far as the
          passing game goes. Without a run game our offense stagnated. This is exactly why we need another play maker or two on offense.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

What team are you a fan of?
            The Chargers - have been for like 45 years
            Not as long as you but a damn long time

I was a kid when they traded Joe Washington for Lydell Mitchell - I was ticked off.

Keenan Allen is a good player - but in an NFL salary cap world - good teams might move on from older higher priced players and with scouting and coaching, get younger cheaper players that can still help the team in a different way. Its the circle of life in the NFL

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

I was a kid when they traded Joe Washington for Lydell Mitchell - I was ticked off.

Keenan Allen is a good player - but in an NFL salary cap world - good teams might move on from older higher priced players and with scouting and coaching, get younger cheaper players that can still help the team in a different way. Its the circle of life in the NFL
              Especially when a ginormous QB contract is looming.Have to get better at drafting TT!Look at the queefs draft.We need immediate contributors not 3 and 4 year projects.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Especially when a ginormous QB contract is looming.Have to get better at drafting TT!Look at the queefs draft.We need immediate contributors not 3 and 4 year projects.
                The Chargers went for it this past offseason. Good for them (well partly because Telesco sucks at drafting) - but good for them

That said - they can do one of two things cap wise: 1) the easy thing for Telesco is push a bunch of contracts, keep the status quo, not do his job of scouting and run things back and see if you can stay healhy and make a push; if they bomb out, he gets fired so he doesn't care about the future cap 2) make a couple tough decisions, keep your cap space for multiple years, and finally do his job and replace get new players

And yes, you are right. Telesco might want to draft more Niemanns and less JT Woods. Meaning, lower ceiling, higher floor, productive players that contribute.

With the money saved from releasing Keenan Allen - they probably can sign Pipkins, sign Tranq, sign Van Noy or Fox and their draft class. without reallly sacrificing future cap space. Thats what this comes down too.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

I just can't adjust my thinking to trade away a guy like KA. You may be right but look what we'll have left for receivers if we don't have KA and the rookies they draft don't pan out.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I just can't adjust my thinking to trade away a guy like KA. You may be right but look what we'll have left for receivers if we don't have KA and the rookies they draft don't pan out.
                    Back in the day, except for John Jefferson - Eugene Klein was able to keep that group together many years -- because of no salary cap. Its just a different world these days in the NFL. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill - saved them money, got draft picks - worked out well. The Packers traded Davantae Adams because of the cap.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

The Chargers went for it this past offseason. Good for them (well partly because Telesco sucks at drafting) - but good for them

That said - they can do one of two things cap wise: 1) the easy thing for Telesco is push a bunch of contracts, keep the status quo, not do his job of scouting and run things back and see if you can stay healhy and make a push; if they bomb out, he gets fired so he doesn't care about the future cap 2) make a couple tough decisions, keep your cap space for multiple years, and finally do his job and replace get new players

And yes, you are right. Telesco might want to draft more Niemanns and less JT Woods. Meaning, lower ceiling, higher floor, productive players that contribute.

With the money saved from releasing Keenan Allen - they probably can sign Pipkins, sign Tranq, sign Van Noy or Fox and their draft class. without reallly sacrificing future cap space. Thats what this comes down too.
                      It doesn't make much sense to release Allen if you can trade him. You save more $$$ if released but you get nothing in return. If we're going to get rid
                      of Allen at least get something in return. When healthy Allen still has a lot in the tank. Personally I'd restructure his contract because he probably still
                      has 2-3 very good years in him.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

It's a myth. KA doesn't get doubled. Most teams play zone and KA kills zones. KA did get doubled in the Jags game on some plays (3rd down). That's because the
                        Jags realized without KA we had nothing going on the receiving end. Our big problem this year, with no MW or KA or both we had nothing going in as far as the
                        passing game goes. Without a run game our offense stagnated. This is exactly why we need another play maker or two on offense.
                        Truth. But please don’t get rid of any we have, Allen with more threats on the field = even more effective.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          looking over the Chiefs recent draft history, it might not just be Andy Reid and Mahomes that have us overmatched....

round seven we drafted Ja'Sir and Deane Leonard.... the Chiefs chose Jaylen Watson and Pacheco

we passed on Trey Smith (5x) for Josh Palmer, McKitty, Rumph, Brendan Jaimes and Rountree....

last year we drafted Zion, the Chiefs got both Trent McDuffie and George Karlaftis round one....

round two they got their receiver that peoples here are pounding the table for, and.... we traded for Khalil in lieu of George Pickens round two.

in FA, we spent $20m on MW.... they spent $3m on Juju Schuster.

they signed Joe Thuney.... we signed Matt Feiler.

they also went out and spent two picks for Kadarius Toney.

bottom line re: the draft.... our FO/GM has made some decent picks, albeit overall and pretty much, he/they have yet to distinguish themselves outside of the top 50 picks.
                          I haven't seen much in Karlaftis. And they had 2 1st round picks to our 1 - not sure that should go against TT, but I will agree that overall, between FA and the draft, KC's done a better job than we have restocking the shelves.

At the end of the day though it still comes down to Reid, Mahomes and Kelsey (maybe Chris Jones?). Coaching makes a (significant) difference.

Comment

Working...
                          X