• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

The coach says the defensive line will be at “the center” of their thought process as they look to improve a unit that often struggled last season.

Brandon Staley, Chargers to prioritize defense in offseason - OC Register Jan 12, 2022

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/5/23292258/brandon-staley-los-angeles-chargers-run-defense-2022-sebastian-joseph-day-khalil-mack

Chargers spent millions on defense in free agency and trade prior to the 2022 season.

That was exactly the media and public speculation prior to the 2022 season. I'm not making stuff up out of whole cloth to provide a bias for my side of some issue, but to establish a basic set of facts that are in the public information space.

Now, care to continue to my original point, Year Three?
    So he fixed the defense on paper. Did it work? That's what I'm interested in. Don't really care about media and public speculation.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Staley addressed player positions. Mack, Reeder, KVN- LB, edge, Austin Johnson, Sebastian Joseph-Day,- DL, Callahn, JC Jackson- CB FAs
      Drafted DT and 3 DBs- mostly STs- which by the way was vastly improved.
      Success was limited by injuries. On the season, our D was #11 fewest points allowed- and points is the bottom line.

"Fixing" the offense was primarily OL in Staley's yr 1. Linsley, Feiler, Aboushi, Slater. Our OL work isn't done.
      Signing Moore is a solid 1st move for '23.
      Not sure what stats your reading. Our D was 21st in scores allowed. 22.6ppg. Your off by 10. He addressed it, he didn't fix it.
      ST did improve. Is that defense? Of course we were bottom of the barrel. Our offense was much better about 23ppg.

Of course because of all the injuries I'm giving him a pass. But to say that he fixed anything is just plain wrong at this point.
      We were 1 game better this year than last. Of course we would have had the same record if Staley would have beaten the
      Raiders. That cost us a playoff berth.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
        The fixes on the Chargers are not going to come down to new schemes - they need a talent change.
        I still believe this team could have been in the SB if not for so many injuries to the top players on the roster. Therefore, if they could find a way to keep their best players I think they will be contenders this year. If they have to cut their best players (Allen, Mack, Bosa) they are probably the new seller dwellers of the AFCW. It all depends on how they go about fixing the salary cap problem. My hunch is that they had a two year plan when they made the FA moves last year and they'll be trying to keep the best of this roster in tact for this season.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

So he fixed the defense on paper. Did it work? That's what I'm interested in. Don't really care about media and public speculation.
          I think if you have read the forum the answer to that question is self-evident by the Jacksonville game. And now, the bill for those multi-millions they spent in 2022 have come due.

sonorajim was on-point and you rejected everything he said too. Now you're just being obtuse.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cowboys-cuts-ezekiel-elliott-tyron-smith-done-dallas-roster-rumor-salary-cap

Cowboys Cuts: Are Ezekiel Elliott & Tyron Smith Done in Dallas?

But why does Tyron get lumped into this?

He's actually in a different situation in both the categories of finance and performance.

Smith is due to have a cap hit of $17.6 million, but with a reported $9 million in cap savings if he's released. He's 32 and has his injury issues, but still plays at a high level.

The Cowboys believe Tyron (maybe with a contract re-do?) wants to return. And we know Zeke does, saying, "I don’t have a crystal ball, can’t you tell the future. But I definitely want to be here.''

There are ways to make those things happen. But soon, Zeke and Tyron are coming to an end. And so will a symbolic era of Cowboys football.

OT Tyron Smith's baseline is higher at RT than any Charger on the current roster. If he hits the market, I expect Kellen Moore to have the inside track on signing him off the open market.

I've no interest in Zeke. Zero.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

OT Tyron Smith has only been available for 17 games and missed 33 games over the last three seasons. That means he’s been unavailable for two of every three games Mike McCarthy has been the head coach. - Dallas Morning News

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/02/05/would-cowboys-release-both-tyron-smith-and-ezekiel-elliott-its-a-serious-discussion/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2022/12/15/cowboys-tyron-smith-switches-to-right-tackle-makes-difficult-transition-look-easy/

Cowboys’ Tyron Smith switches to right tackle, makes difficult transition look easy

​Tyler Smith and Terrence Steele are not giving up their positions. Tyron can still be dominant and began the transition to right tackle a year ago.

And this isn’t a one-way street. Elliott and/or Smith might be able to fill bigger roles with other teams around the league.

If the Cowboys decide to move on from one or both players it won’t be easy.

But it must, and will, be discussed. - DMN

Tyron.png

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                Remember, Herbert can make Palmer, Guyton, Johnson, Bandy all look good.
                T-Billy Johnson is long gone...

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I still believe this team could have been in the SB if not for so many injuries to the top players on the roster. Therefore, if they could find a way to keep their best players I think they will be contenders this year. If they have to cut their best players (Allen, Mack, Bosa) they are probably the new seller dwellers of the AFCW. It all depends on how they go about fixing the salary cap problem. My hunch is that they had a two year plan when they made the FA moves last year and they'll be trying to keep the best of this roster in tact for this season.
                  Remember that it wasn't just injuries that kept the Bolts from reaching the SB...it was also Lombo's poor playcalling...failure of the O to generate enough points vs. the Jags after the D gifted them with multiple turnovers...

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

I think if you have read the forum the answer to that question is self-evident by the Jacksonville game. And now, the bill for those multi-millions they spent in 2022 have come due.

sonorajim was on-point and you rejected everything he said too. Now you're just being obtuse.
                    Not quite he said our D was #11 in points allowed. Wrong we were 21st. I acknowledged the injuries. Gave Staley a pass. But like I said
                    he hasn't proved anything yet. The D did not improve. The offense was actually worse. Facts don't lie.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

OT Tyron Smith has only been available for 17 games and missed 33 games over the last three seasons. That means he’s been unavailable for two of every three games Mike McCarthy has been the head coach. - Dallas Morning News

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/02/05/would-cowboys-release-both-tyron-smith-and-ezekiel-elliott-its-a-serious-discussion/

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2022/12/15/cowboys-tyron-smith-switches-to-right-tackle-makes-difficult-transition-look-easy/

Cowboys’ Tyron Smith switches to right tackle, makes difficult transition look easy

​Tyler Smith and Terrence Steele are not giving up their positions. Tyron can still be dominant and began the transition to right tackle a year ago.

And this isn’t a one-way street. Elliott and/or Smith might be able to fill bigger roles with other teams around the league.

If the Cowboys decide to move on from one or both players it won’t be easy.

But it must, and will, be discussed. - DMN

Tyron.png
                      Very interesting.
                      how much more than Pip would he cost?
                      Pip is much younger, thinking about continuity.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Very interesting.
                        Are you thinking we need another guy for the IR list?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Very interesting.
                          I think I am rolling with Pip over this guy. Good career but older and more apt to be injured. That doesn't mean Pip will be healthy next year and this guy won't be - just that the likelihood is higher for the older player

Plus Pip has gotten better over the years. Granted, Pip would be wise to test free agency -- a team like the Bears might really overpay

Comment

Working...
                          X