Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Remember that it wasn't just injuries that kept the Bolts from reaching the SB...it was also Lombo's poor playcalling...failure of the O to generate enough points vs. the Jags after the D gifted them with multiple turnovers...
    Are you speaking about the same OC that had them at a top five offense the year before?
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Chargers scoring O in '21 #4, in 22 #13
      Dallas (Moore) '21 #1, '22 #4
      I think we got the better OC.
      Lombardi had a good base plan but struggled to make timely adjustments.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
        Chargers scoring O in '21 #4, in 22 #13
        Dallas (Moore) '21 #1, '22 #4
        I think we got the better OC.
        Lombardi had a good base plan but struggled to make timely adjustments.
        Timely adjustments

Also somehow need to make life easier for the offense. More big plays; less reliance on 3rd and 4-6 yards. I think I read the Chargers had the most 3rd downs in the NFL. Which means they had the ball a lot - but also were getting to 3rd down. I get the Chiefs are an anomaly but they were able to sometimes to just move downfield and not even get to one third down let alone multiple to finish the drive with a touchdown.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Are you thinking we need another guy for the IR list?
          Lol, agreed he is beat up and we will be seeing Sarell again.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think I am rolling with Pip over this guy. Good career but older and more apt to be injured. That doesn't mean Pip will be healthy next year and this guy won't be - just that the likelihood is higher for the older player

Plus Pip has gotten better over the years. Granted, Pip would be wise to test free agency -- a team like the Bears might really overpay
            Smith has missed many games three years in a row. Then played only 13 games, 4 seasons prior to the real fall.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

I still believe this team could have been in the SB if not for so many injuries to the top players on the roster. Therefore, if they could find a way to keep their best players I think they will be contenders this year. If they have to cut their best players (Allen, Mack, Bosa) they are probably the new seller dwellers of the AFCW. It all depends on how they go about fixing the salary cap problem. My hunch is that they had a two year plan when they made the FA moves last year and they'll be trying to keep the best of this roster in tact for this season.
              A two year plan would have been great. A three year plan even better. We’ll see if they did shortly.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Timely adjustments

Also somehow need to make life easier for the offense. More big plays; less reliance on 3rd and 4-6 yards. I think I read the Chargers had the most 3rd downs in the NFL. Which means they had the ball a lot - but also were getting to 3rd down. I get the Chiefs are an anomaly but they were able to sometimes to just move downfield and not even get to one third down let alone multiple to finish the drive with a touchdown.
                Timely adjustments. Did you see what Reid did in the SB? Philly had no idea what was happening or how to stop it. Movement and speed. It changes everything.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Timely adjustments. Did you see what Reid did in the SB? Philly had no idea what was happening or how to stop it. Movement and speed. It changes everything.
                  Thats why I am more okay with making changes on the team - especially on offense than standing pat with the same players. Allen, Palmer and Williams are what they are.The TEs are serviceable. Ekeler is a good running back but he is a third down back. Spiller - maybe he shows something. Kelley has shown what he is. I get the OL needs help. But, the Chargers need more dynamic playmakers on offense. So if Allen and Everett aren't back for cap reasons - I think they can be replaced. But it has to be a priority by Telesco and not an after thought with picks at the end of Day 3 or veteran free agents in May or June for the minimum. "Michael Bandys" cannot be on the roster next year

Bijan, Kincaid, Hyatt Flowers in R1

A guy like Reed in R2 even if you went Flowers in R1

another fast WR on day 3

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

HC Andy Reid said today his first priority of the season is locking up RT Andrew Wylie and RT Orlando Brown Jr.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Are you speaking about the same OC that had them at a top five offense the year before?
                      I have no hard data to go on but my sense is that the offense (for whatever reason) was not as conservative in 21 as it was in 22. The indictment on Lombardi centers around a few points; 1) failure to maximize personnel, 2) lack of scheme and/or play design creativity, 3) poor play calling, 4) inability to make necessary in game adjustments.

I have hopes that we've improved on the offensive (coaching) side of the ball. We had better improve - the offense will need to carry the team next year.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I have no hard data to go on but my sense is that the offense (for whatever reason) was not as conservative in 21 as it was in 22. The indictment on Lombardi centers around a few points; 1) failure to maximize personnel, 2) lack of scheme and/or play design creativity, 3) poor play calling.

I have hopes that we've improved on the offensive (coaching) side of the ball. We had better improve - the offense will need to carry the team next year.
                        In 21' we had a very healthy Herbert and practically went for it on 4th down all the time because our defense was suspect. If we had played only three downs in 21' and punted our offensive stats would have been much worse.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

In 21' we had a very healthy Herbert and practically went for it on 4th down all the time because our defense was suspect. If we had played only three downs in 21' and punted our offensive stats would have been much worse.
                          Hmmmm, no. Look at the average ypc, in 21 much higher. In 22 Herbert had the lowest ypa of any starting Qb. About 6.8 yards per catch. Nothing to do with
                          going for it on 4th down. There are several possibilities. 1st and foremost injury to our WRs. Lack of continuity on the O line until late in the season. Injury to
                          Herbert's ribs early in the season. Lack of a run game forcing the short passing game to take it's place. Lack of a deep threat once MW was out. It's not all
                          on Lombo. But for sure improvement in the run game was needed and never materialized. That would have helped Herbert once all the injuries took place.
                          Last edited by charger1_sj; 02-15-2023, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X