• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    Tied for #9 per Covers.https://www.covers.com/sport/footbal...ense/2022-2023
    I was quoting the Chargers home page. Where did you find #21?
    That is tied for 9th among the playoff teams. If you look at the regular season, that sight shows tied for 21st in the regular season.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Tied for #9 per Covers.https://www.covers.com/sport/footbal...ense/2022-2023
      I was quoting the Chargers home page. Where did you find #21?
      You can find it anywhere on the web where stats are listed. We allowed 22.6 ppg. Nowhere close to #11.
      Here is one:

Get the latest stats from across the NFL on CBS Sports. News, scores, and statistics for your favorite teams and players throughout the 2023 season.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The team was 10-7, well 10-8. Not sure if the second Denver game really counts. But there is room for improvement. 3rd down defense could get better. Gave up a lot of big plays too on defense. On offense, too many third downs and lack of explosive players.
        Oh yeah it counted. It got MW injured and may have cost us a PO game. Every game counts in one way or another.
        FYI, we easily could have lost our first game against Denver, if not a punt hitting a Bronco in the head. 2-4 in the division
        is not going to cut it.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

we were 21st in points allowed per game at 22.6 and 13th in points scored.
          My bad, You are correct. I wonder where Chargers .com got there number?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Oh yeah it counted. It got MW injured and may have cost us a PO game. Every game counts in one way or another.
            FYI, we easily could have lost our first game against Denver, if not a punt hitting a Bronco in the head. 2-4 in the division
            is not going to cut it.
            The year the Chargers went 12-4 under Lynn, they won a lot of close games. And I understand, the NFL is about winning one score games. But when you look at the Chargers
            Broncos - walk off FG
            Browns - they missed a FG with 7 seconds to go
            Falcons --walk off FG
            Titans - walk off FG

That is not a good trend,. HIstory doesn't repeat itself. Look at the Raiders this year - won close games in 2021, not good in 2022. You are correct about 2-4 in the division - that is not going to cut i

So between the financial reasons of suggesting trading Bosa and the whole Allen thing - I think the team needs improvement and running it back and having to push cap for the same players, not sure that is the smart long term play. Its easy to say "we had injuries, these are good players.." But looking deeper - terrible on third down, offense had its issues that will take more than coaching

Like I don't think they should sign Van Noy to a multi year deal. To me that would just be another Thomas Davis
            Same with Callahan - maybe one year for the minimum but nothing urgent
            Now Fox - I think is worthy at the right price

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

That is tied for 9th among the playoff teams. If you look at the regular season, that sight shows tied for 21st in the regular season.
              LOL, only 14 teams make the PO's. So we were in the bottom third. Nice find.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The year the Chargers went 12-4 under Lynn, they won a lot of close games. And I understand, the NFL is about winning one score games. But when you look at the Chargers
                Broncos - walk off FG
                Falcons --walk off FG
                Titans - walk off FG

That is not a good trend,. HIstory doesn't repeat itself. Look at the Raiders this year - won close games in 2021, not good in 2022. You are correct about 2-4 in the division - that is not going to cut i

So between the financial reasons of suggesting trading Bosa and the whole Allen thing - I think the team needs improvement and running it back and having to push cap for the same players, not sure that is the smart long term play. Its easy to say "we had injuries, these are good players.." But looking deeper - terrible on third down, offense had its issues that will take more than coaching

Like I don't think they should sign Van Noy to a multi year deal. To me that would just be another Thomas Davis
                But if you look at the 7 losses, 5 of them were one score losses so I don't think there was some odd statistical anomaly going on - we just played a lot of close games.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Broncos - walk off FG
                  Falcons --walk off FG
                  Titans - walk off FG

Our defense in 22 was really not very good. It wasn't the unmitigated disaster it's been in the past, but not remotely close to good, or even average. We caught a number of teams we thought were going to be tough games with backup QB's and played more than our share of cupcakes. The proof's in the pudding, ie; 2-4 in division, and no wins against any team that finished the season with a winning record, plus an epic collapse in our 1 playoff game. I wish I could say that I'm anticipating a defensive improvement next year but I don't see it, unless we somehow upgrade our personnel.

Offense is going to need to be elite next year if we want to return to the playoffs.

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Herbert W 7,9,10. We haven't win them all. Probably never have a perfect season. I still like the growing # of Ws.
                    Until it nets us a playoff run, it doesn’t really matter (one and done is just why show up?).

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Until it nets us a playoff run, it doesn’t really matter (one and done is just why show up?).
                      I enjoy all our wins. like it when we win more, as is our current trend. Next step: playoff Ws.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Health,because of health as usual.
                        Health was last year's issue... not this coming year's issue. The only player that has health issues for next year is JCJ.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

The problem with this theory is they had a 27 point lead and lost the game to the Jags. Thats the reality. The Chargers were four wins from the Super Bowl. The defense couldn't get a stop. The offense was really tough to watch move down the field - it was a struggle.

Sure the Chargers can bring everybody back and pay them their current salaries - push 45 to 50m of cap onto 2024.
                          But they will be furhter under the cap than they are today 12 months from now

So maybe they bring back the two names I mention the most, Bosa and Allen But the reality is - if Allen is back - its for a helluva lot less money than he is making today. And Allen might choose 9m from the Chargers over free agency.
                          The problem with the 27 point collapse was play-calling... not talent level.
                          The defense went into prevent mode and the offense went into predictable conservative mode.
                          Kellen Moore was brought in and Lombardi was let go... largely because of that historic collapse.

You keep saying that the re-structure moves 45-50 million onto 2024's cap... it does not.
                          If you restructure Bosa and MW, the re-structure is partly spread over 2024... and part of it gets spread to 2025 (where we have more room).
                          You can also extend Vato into 2025 and save yourself another $4 million on 2023's cap.
                          It can be done. I've done it multiple times using OTC's cap managing tool.

Caveat: To save 2024 cap space, I cut KA and KM. Their contracts are structured in a way that leads me to believe that this was the plan from the beginning... combined savings of $46 million... with minimal dead cap expense. But I think they're "All In" for 2023 and a Super Bowl push.

Comment

Working...
                          X