• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

For me, its simple. I look at a player that might be closer to the end of his career, not getting better, probably at some point Father Time happens, higher propensity for injury. Add in the dollar impact, plus its probably his last year on the team -- - move on a year early instead of a year too late (the Bill Walsh theory). To get to where the Chargers need to get cap wise - talking moving close to 35m dollars that will need to be "found". So for Allen - if its $5m, its $15m from Mack and $10m from Bosa as Feiler and Hopkins aren't much.. And with Herbert coming due - do you want to move that much space

bosa, converting half of his salary to bonus is kind of a no brainer due to him still having a good 4-5 years left, converting half his salary to a signing bonus would drop his cap hit to around 21mil and clear up 10mil in cap space or you can do even more if you convert more

mack, converting half of his salary to a bonus and adding a voidable year drops his cap number to around 16mil and adds 11mil to cap space or you can do more by converting more

keenan I would convert some of his salary into a bonus too, even half of his current salary would drop his cap number by 6mil without putting too much into dead cap years down the road, same with mack

williams is worth his cap hit and he’s still in his prime and I’d convert half of his salary with zero regrets, here’s another guy that could add another 6mill to the cap

linsley is also an easy decision, give him half his salary up front and add a minimal 2mil dead cap after he retires but you also clear up 5mil in cap space

jc jackson is a big mystery, I don’t know what happens there, do the chargers have an out? Like in case he had legal issues? IDK, I’ll be really interested to see what happens with this one

an additional 9 mil can be cleared by cutting fieler and hopkins

extending ekeler by adding two more seasons (next year is last on his deal) to his current deal gives him a nice bonus and drops his cap hit clearing up another 5mil in cap space

same with michael davis, extend him, he’s motivated to stay in LA so the chargers can take advantage and get a deal here, by extending him they drop his cap hit to around 6 mil so they’d be clearing around 4 mil in cap space and go into 2023 feeling good that no matter what happens with jc jackson we have a very good corner in davis

NONE of these moves would put our future in jeopardy cap wise, none would be irresponsible and since all these guys move on at different intervals their dead caps won’t impact the same year, on the other hand if we make a bunch of trades, cuts or whatever we WILL be fucking up our team AND our cap for a couple of years!

if the team makes all these moves and they don’t need to make all of them but they certainly should, they would clear as much as 56 MILLION in cap space sign pipkins, tranquill, etc…then after FA, the draft, second wave FA, and signing all their draft picks, at that point the herbert talks will begin in ernest…I expect them to extend herbert before 2023 season starts, otherwise it’ll happen after the 2023 season…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

When did we last run down a team's throat? I mean it sounds good but that's not who we are. O line yes, for better protection, we are a passing team. But we need
      more weapons for Herbert. A very good WR in the 1st wouldn't be a mistake.
      Or maybe even TE Mayer if it falls that way.Shitty fact is we Always need more o line help but on top of that Ekeler needs a true quality co RB(just imagine if he gets injured)and Herbert Definitely needs more offensive weapons cuz Mike and KA cannot stay healthy.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

bosa, converting half of his salary to bonus is kind of a no brainer due to him still having a good 4-5 years left, converting half his salary to a signing bonus would drop his cap hit to around 21mil and clear up 10mil in cap space or you can do even more if you convert more

mack, converting half of his salary to a bonus and adding a voidable year drops his cap number to around 16mil and adds 11mil to cap space or you can do more by converting more

keenan I would convert some of his salary into a bonus too, even half of his current salary would drop his cap number by 6mil without putting too much into dead cap years down the road, same with mack

williams is worth his cap hit and he’s still in his prime and I’d convert half of his salary with zero regrets, here’s another guy that could add another 6mill to the cap

linsley is also an easy decision, give him half his salary up front and add a minimal 2mil dead cap after he retires but you also clear up 5mil in cap space

jc jackson is a big mystery, I don’t know what happens there, do the chargers have an out? Like in case he had legal issues? IDK, I’ll be really interested to see what happens with this one

an additional 9 mil can be cleared by cutting fieler and hopkins

extending ekeler by adding two more seasons (next year is last on his deal) to his current deal gives him a nice bonus and drops his cap hit clearing up another 5mil in cap space

same with michael davis, extend him, he’s motivated to stay in LA so the chargers can take advantage and get a deal here, by extending him they drop his cap hit to around 6 mil so they’d be clearing around 4 mil in cap space and go into 2023 feeling good that no matter what happens with jc jackson we have a very good corner in davis

NONE of these moves would put our future in jeopardy cap wise, none would be irresponsible and since all these guys move on at different intervals their dead caps won’t impact the same year, on the other hand if we make a bunch of trades, cuts or whatever we WILL be fucking up our team AND our cap for a couple of years!

if the team makes all these moves and they don’t need to make all of them but they certainly should, they would clear as much as 56 MILLION in cap space sign pipkins, tranquill, etc…then after FA, the draft, second wave FA, and signing all their draft picks, at that point the herbert talks will begin in ernest…I expect them to extend herbert before 2023 season starts, otherwise it’ll happen after the 2023 season…
        Feiler -- I still look at him as a guy to see if he would take $2m as a swing tackle. I think he is probably better depth than Sarell or NOrton at not much more cost. If its not Feiler, thats fine, but the OT depth needs to be better than Sarell and Storm is all I am saying

Hopkins - its not that much money plus the team will have to pay Dicker - -cap savings is less than a million actually if you include paying Dicker the Kicker
        I do agree about extending Davis - he had a very good year

Its going to be interesting either way and it makes for good discussion
        I truly wish we were still talking about preparing for the Chiefs​

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

When did we last run down a team's throat? I mean it sounds good but that's not who we are. O line yes, for better protection, we are a passing team. But we need
          more weapons for Herbert. A very good WR in the 1st wouldn't be a mistake.
          That’s the thing. If we just ran better, we would still be in the playoffs. Guess it was LT getting it done, the last time we ran it like that. A run game helps control the clock. If we just control the clock…

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

We would have if Dicker didn’t miss the 40 yard field goal.

But look at the bright side. We got rid of Lombardi and got an early lead in the race for the best OC signing.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

But look at the bright side. We got rid of Lombardi and got an early lead in the race for the best OC signing.
              JaX just would e scored a TD instead of running out the clock for a fg. We didn’t stop them once in case u didn’t notice

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post

That’s the thing. If we just ran better, we would still be in the playoffs. Guess it was LT getting it done, the last time we ran it like that. A run game helps control the clock. If we just control the clock…
                The whole short passing game in lieu of a running game is controlling the clock. Thing is with Herbert WE DON"T WANT to control the clock. We need to get into the end
                zone quick and often. When not injured talent wise we are in the same boat as KC. We should be winning games by putting up 30+. All a run game does is make the
                game closer than it often should be. Unless of course you have an LT. But that era is gone. We do need a run game so that we don't become one dimensional.
                But we don't need to become the Titans. Another reason to be able to run the football is because our red zone offense stinks. 1st and goal at the six and we settle for
                a FG. So it's not like I don't agree with you. It's just it's a passing league and we have a QB with a cannon arm. Let them fear the passing game and running the
                football becomes that much easier. Injuries pretty much derailed this philosophy, which is why we need more offensive weapons for Herbert.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Have we actually interviewed anybody for the OC position? I was just listening to the radio and there's a lot of interviewing
                  going on. Didn't hear anything about the Chargers. Are we going to sit back and wait for the scraps?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Feiler -- I still look at him as a guy to see if he would take $2m as a swing tackle. I think he is probably better depth than Sarell or NOrton at not much more cost. If its not Feiler, thats fine, but the OT depth needs to be better than Sarell and Storm is all I am saying

Hopkins - its not that much money plus the team will have to pay Dicker - -cap savings is less than a million actually if you include paying Dicker the Kicker
                    I do agree about extending Davis - he had a very good year

Its going to be interesting either way and it makes for good discussion
                    I think this is where Day3 picks are used to build the depth. Rd3 for a potential year 1 swing C/OG to backup Linsley and OGs. Don’t pay Feiler for depth. Use his $ to sign Pipkins and we have 3 starting caliber OTs, 2 on rookie deals. Keep Sarrell, he might develop and might play better inside than on the edge at OT. Dump Norton, Domp Jaimes, reload.

Rd 1 and 2 I am looking for WR, Edge, RB1, IDL. BPAs from these priority positions. If they are not resigning Parham, add TE to the list.

And trade down for the last Mr Irrelevant pick and take a QB
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think this is where Day3 picks are used to build the depth. Rd3 for a potential year 1 swing C/OG to backup Linsley and OGs. Don’t pay Feiler for depth. Use his $ to sign Pipkins and we have 3 starting caliber OTs, 2 on rookie deals. Keep Sarrell, he might develop and might play better inside than on the edge at OT. Dump Norton, Domp Jaimes, reload.

Rd 1 and 2 I am looking for WR, Edge, RB1, IDL. BPAs from these priority positions. If they are not resigning Parham, add TE to the list.

And trade down for the last Mr Irrelevant pick and take a QB
                      I am good with that. But just using the example: Pay Feiler $2m (if he were to accept it) or pay Sarell or Norton - $1m - I would rather pay Feiler as the back up deoth

WR is top priority followed by Edge depth
                      A Center for lInsley could be day 3
                      OT depth - always
                      RB
                      IDL

TE - I think we know who will be the pick if he is there at 21. Telesco might even trade up for him

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I am good with that. But just using the example: Pay Feiler $2m (if he were to accept it) or pay Sarell or Norton - $1m - I would rather pay Feiler as the back up deoth

WR is top priority followed by Edge depth
                        A Center for lInsley could be day 3
                        OT depth - always
                        RB
                        IDL

TE - I think we know who will be the pick if he is there at 21. Telesco might even trade up for him
                        If Feiler will take 2, thats a deal. He’s due 6.5
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

When I think of speed - its just not time, its explosive ness. But when I see Stephon Diggs - he catches everything, short, medium and can get behind the CB. The Chargers need a guy or two that can get behind the DBs. Lombo dialed up a couple of deep plays - its obvious how Herbert was looking downfield, nobody open.

I am listening to Telesco now in his presser and its kind of the same Staley said. Actions will speak louder than words. That speed or explosive players isn't all about40 time.

I am not sure how fast Tony Martin was but that guy for that one year, made big plays. Palmer hasn't shown that yet, Williams does at times and Allen probably doesn't have the ability anymore. Telesco needs to find that kind of player
                          Hmm, Tony Martin made a lot of bigs plays for us. That 99 yard TD ,he didn't even start that year and had 50 catches...in his 5th season.
                          He only had 53 catches his first 4 years in Miami....and those were from his last 2 seasons there.

Year after that he had 90 receptions, 1200+ yards then 85 with 14 TDs and then 63......all from the age of 29 to 33.

Then at 34 and 35 had 1000+ yard seasons with Atlanta and Miami.

Keenan has gas left in the tank and Palmer is only going into year 3.

Comment

Working...
                          X