• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If Fieler is on the roster he'll cost $8.5M not $6.5M. Fieler will not agree to $1.5M when he has a contract for $8.5M. Would you do it? His agent would tell him to get
    released and hit the open market. My thinks Fieler is a cap casualty.

Norton should be a cut, regardless. Sarrel is going to depend on what we do in the draft and FA. Most likely a post June cut. I haven't looked at his contract but it's doubtful
    we would owe him much in the form of a roster bonus.

Nope, if Fieler gets cut he'll save us $6.5M in the cap. Bringing in someone to replace him does not enter the equation until he is released at which point we would have an
    $6.5M of space we didn't have before. That's the way it works.

But again the bigger problem is Pipkins. We would already have a replacement for Fieler should he get released which is my guess. But if Pipkins is not signed we would have a hole to fill or we would have to shuffle the O line around.

If we're keeping Dicker, Hopkins is gone.
    Cut Feiler...he's the weak link and he's getting old...

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, but can you name them all... and tell me exactly how they contributed to a SB run...?
      What I saw in the Chiefs was one of the best OL's in football. An offensive play-calling genius... the best TE in football (Round 3 pick)... and a bunch of veteran WR's that knew route concepts... and the best DT in football (2nd rounder).

Their best rookie (McDuffie) was a Nutty favorite. Bryan Cook was another Nutty favorite. Jaylen Watkins was another late-round sleeper I liked.

Skyy Moore (Pick 54) had 22 receptions last year...
      And while George Karlaftis began to play better in the 2nd half of the season... he was not why the Chiefs won the SB.
      Let's be real, they drafted well and they contributed. Pacheco was their starting RB after mid season. Not sure their OL is the best but it's good.

Cook didn't start, but he contributed. Their entire rookie ckas contributed. It's just good drafting and exceptional to the norm of the league.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Dang, I hope TT doesn't do Keenan dirty like that.
        Keenan came back from injury and produced like a Top 5-10 WR.
        The Top-15 WR's in the NFL are making $20-30 million per year.
        Keenan (and his agent) would take the $6.9 the Chargers have already paid him... and go make another $18 million elsewhere.
        Over his last 8 games, Keenan went on a clip that, when extrapolated out over a whole season, would have given him 127 receptions and 1400 yards.
        Those are Stephon Diggs and Ceedee Lamb type numbers...
        Chargers only owe Allen $1.5
        The other 5.4m is dead cap.

Allen doesn't have the impact on the game that Diggs has. He just doesn't. If he did have an impact like Diggs - the offense would have been better. I don't want to belittle him or his career - but at this point - he is a third down, move the chains receiver. That has value. But the Chargers need to take their offense up about three levels.

And you already mention you are fine waiving him next offseason - so I am truly not sure what the difference is if you are already moving on from him next year

As for Bosa - he is not a difference maker. If you can get a couple picks - take the picks. The defense is average with him and average without him.
        Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 02-22-2023, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Let's be real, they drafted well and they contributed. Pacheco was their starting RB after mid season. Not sure their OL is the best but it's good.

Cook didn't start, but he contributed. Their entire rookie ckas contributed. It's just good drafting and exceptional to the norm of the league.
          The reality is that no post-21 draft pick will contribute half as much as KA, MW, JB, or KM. 3 out of 4 of these players were Top-10 draft picks. The other one plays like he is.
          People are acting as if post-21 pick RB's, TE's, and WR's will be difference makers. When in reality, they're usually not. You actually made one of the best cases... 7th round RB Pacheo vs 1st round pick CEH.

The rookies the Chiefs drafted contributed way less than people are portraying. Their contributions pale in comparison to the contributions of their established veterans and play-calling from their HC. That's reality. The rookies will develop and become core guys down the line. The Chiefs traded Hill because they HAD to... not because they thought Skyy Moore would/could replace that kind of production.

We, on the other hand, don't HAVE to replace KA. I've shown multiple ways you can keep KA, MW, JB, and Mack together for one more year and make a push for a SB. The reality is that the contracts are structured that way. The reality is that the roster was constructed that way this past off-season. We GAVE UP a 2nd/6th round pick in order to make a 2-year push. That's the reality.

I suggest people start looking for replacements for Pipkins, Callahan, Tranquill, and Fox. All of these guys can easily be replaced through the draft. You want RB's, WR's and TE's...? They can be found in the later rounds... they always are... that's the reality.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

The reality is that no post-21 draft pick will contribute half as much as KA, MW, JB, or KM. 3 out of 4 of these players were Top-10 draft picks. The other one plays like he is.
            People are acting as if post-21 pick RB's, TE's, and WR's will be difference makers. When in reality, they're usually not. You actually made one of the best cases... 7th round RB Pacheo vs 1st round pick CEH.

The rookies the Chiefs drafted contributed way less than people are portraying. Their contributions pale in comparison to the contributions of their established veterans and play-calling from their HC. That's reality. The rookies will develop and become core guys down the line. The Chiefs traded Hill because they HAD to... not because they thought Skyy Moore would/could replace that kind of production.

We, on the other hand, don't HAVE to replace KA. I've shown multiple ways you can keep KA, MW, JB, and Mack together for one more year and make a push for a SB. The reality is that the contracts are structured that way. The reality is that the roster was constructed that way this past off-season. We GAVE UP a 2nd/6th round pick in order to make a 2-year push. That's the reality.

I suggest people start looking for replacements for Pipkins, Callahan, Tranquill, and Fox. All of these guys can easily be replaced through the draft. You want RB's, WR's and TE's...? They can be found in the later rounds... they always are... that's the reality.
            You mention WR, RB and TE, they can be found later. But so can any position if the GM were worth a damn. I just read that out of 44 picks in the TelescoJohnBoy era, only 5 have got a second contract. the rest didn't get a second contract or were released. James, Bosa, Denzel, Allen and Williams -- that its. That is not a sustainable business model for success. And really Perryman was a short two year deal and the other four were kind of no-brainers.

You mention waiving Allen after this year - fine, they keep him. However they keep him - but they need his replacement so WR is not a want, its truly a need. Give Herbert a friggin chance

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

I agree, I'm just saying saying they drafted well. And I don't think Keenan is being cut.

Fox could be back, Tranq.....not sure, Pip not sure. Doubt Callahan is back unless he isn't sought after much and we sign him again to a cheap 1 year deal.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You mention WR, RB and TE, they can be found later. But so can any position if the GM were worth a damn. I just read that out of 44 picks in the TelescoJohnBoy era, only 5 have got a second contract. the rest didn't get a second contract or were released. James, Bosa, Denzel, Allen and Williams -- that its. That is not a sustainable business model for success. And really Perryman was a short two year deal and the other four were kind of no-brainers.

You mention waiving Allen after this year - fine, they keep him. However they keep him - but they need his replacement so WR is not a want, its truly a need. Give Herbert a friggin chance
                Well Pipkins and Tranq are worthy of second contracts, we just might not be able to afford them. That isn't because they were bad picks though Pipkins took a while to develop.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Confusing post. At the top, you say difference makers are rarely found post 21 and then at the bottom say they can be found in later rounds. So you're advocating for taking non-difference makers in later rounds or a difference maker at 21?

As for the Chiefs, really? They had 2 rookies starting at CB (and contributions from 2 other DBs), a rookie LB and RB that all made significant contributions.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well Pipkins and Tranq are worthy of second contracts, we just might not be able to afford them. That isn't because they were bad picks though Pipkins took a while to develop.
                    I think Pipkins will be back - since RT and having an Oline of Slater, Salyer, Zion anbd Pipkins all young and signed for the next few years - -plus Linsley

Popper always mentions LB is not important in the Staley defense - but that seems like they need better LB play

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

I think Pipkins will be back - since RT and having an Oline of Slater, Salyer, Zion anbd Pipkins all young and signed for the next few years - -plus Linsley

Popper always mentions LB is not important in the Staley defense - but that seems like they need better LB play
                      Pipkins is a UFA. Unless we clear a lot of cap space he will not be back, because we will not be able to afford him and still stay under the cap.
                      Other notable FAs include Tranquill, Van Noy, Callahan, Guyton, Parham and 16 others. Note we are approx. $20M OVER the cap.

Come March 15th there could be some teeth gnashing.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Pipkins is a UFA. Unless we clear a lot of cap space he will not be back, because we will not be able to afford him and still stay under the cap.
                        Other notable FAs include Tranquill, Van Noy, Callahan, Guyton, Parham and 16 others. Note we are approx. $20M OVER the cap.

Come March 15th there could be some teeth gnashing.
                        Many of the free agents are minimum level or just above. So if they sign Parham at the league minimum - the addition to the cap is not his salary - its like his salary less $750k.

And the Chargers need to be under the cap but they also will need money to operate the season. So the Chargers might have a bit of money for Pipkins

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Many of the free agents are minimum level or just above. So if they sign Parham at the league minimum - the addition to the cap is not his salary - its like his salary less $750k.

And the Chargers need to be under the cap but they also will need money to operate the season. So the Chargers might have a bit of money for Pipkins
                          Well it's not impossible, but until we see the results of March 15th we really are just guessing. We are very top heavy so something has to be done there in order to
                          clear any reasonable amount of cap space. My gut feeling tells me Van Noy, Tranquill and Guyton will not be signing for league minimum. So we're going to lose
                          some of these guys. Pipkins being one of them. He'll be looking to make hay in FA. The average for a vet starting RT would be north of $7M. But sometimes
                          the market goes crazy in FA.

Comment

Working...
                          X