• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Allen represents a $21M cap hit. I'm betting he's on the team come September, but not at that salary. In 2024 he's gone. Which means we would do well to start
    looking for a replacement now rather than later. I'm sorry to say Palmer isn't it. He makes for a decent backup, but he's not what we need. MW just signed a
    big contract last year. So he's got a ways to go. Worried about his propensity to get hurt.
    I get the cap. KA was a 3rd. I have no issue with a 3rd rd WR in 2023.
    Building for a SB run is tough. We need to take a top 10 O, D & STs into Jan 2024.
    Run defense & run offense were 2022's greatest statistical issues. We need to be around avg or better in both. RB, TE, OL - DL, LB are the obvious positions we might take early. Bijan / Kincaid, LB Sanders are my guys.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      ^^^I don’t know what to tell ya if you think we just need “depth” at RB. Smh
      And I don't know what to tell you if you believe a 1st round RB is taking you to the Super Bowl.
      I see some 1st round WR's, QB's, OT's, DE's, DT's on all of these remaining teams. Not a whole lot of 1st round RB's and TE's...

The 1 first-round RB I find (McCaffrey) is in no way the key to the 49ers success. Hint: It's the defense and the OL/DL.

If the Chargers can get someone to improve the OL's effectiveness... any one of our current 3 RB's can thrive.
      The talent is there (both OL and RB). We need a better conductor.
      Najee Harris is on line 2... he wants to know what went wrong with McCaffrey extension...

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I disagree about needs. Look today. Kelce, Kittle, Chase, Higgins, Aiyuk, Deebo, DAvante Smith, AJ Brown. Hell McCaffrey to a degree

Those players are difference makes in the passing game. The Chargers do not have that player that can do something at the highest level

For me, the Chargers need two new WRs. Even if they keep Allen - this is his last year in all likelihood. They need speed and explosive players
        You guys understand that Herbert has finished within the Top-2 passing yards these last 2 seasons, right?
        I think you guys are vastly under-estimating the WR's.
        To review: KA is one of the best route runners in the NFL. I think it was BoltJolt that extrapolated this year's production out to 124 receptions.
        I'm not sure there is a better contested ball-catcher than Mike Williams... At times he's under-used. Probably because Allen gets open in 0.4 seconds... and gets first-feed...?
        Ekeler has 180 receptions over the last 2 years. He's also scored 38 total TD's in that timespan.
        Can any other RB claim either one of those marks...?
        We're going to the Super Bowl by taking the ball out of his hands...?

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You guys understand that Herbert has finished within the Top-2 passing yards these last 2 seasons, right?
          To review: KA is one of the best route runners in the NFL. I think it was BoltJolt that extrapolated this year's production out to 124 receptions.
          I'm not sure there is a better contested ball-catcher than Mike Williams... At times he's under-used. Probably because Allen gets open in 0.4 seconds... and gets first-feed...?
          Ekeler has 180 receptions over the last 2 years. He's also scored 38 total TD's in that timespan.
          I think it is somewhere in between. Allen is probably the best route runner in the league, but is almost always immediately tacked after very catch. Zero threat of YAC from him because of his lack of speed and open field wiggle. But if you need a first down, he is ultra reliable. Williams is great at those downfield spectacular contested catches, but is also not much of a threat for a YAC guy. Nobody on the team is a threat to take it to the house, aside from Ekeler.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

You make it sound like we ran the score up on everybody…

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Passing yards mean nothing if we can't score points or if we can get crucial yards/first downs.
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

I'm sorry to tell you that 5-6 yards per catch isn't going to cut it.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

And I don't know what to tell you if you believe a 1st round RB is taking you to the Super Bowl.
                  I see some 1st round WR's, QB's, OT's, DE's, DT's on all of these remaining teams. Not a whole lot of 1st round RB's and TE's...

The 1 first-round RB I find (McCaffrey) is in no way the key to the 49ers success. Hint: It's the defense and the OL/DL.

If the Chargers can get someone to improve the OL's effectiveness... any one of our current 3 RB's can thrive.
                  The talent is there (both OL and RB). We need a better conductor.
                  Najee Harris is on line 2... he wants to know what went wrong with McCaffrey extension...
                  Lol, you realize that we already have a first round qb, wr, de, oT, OG……

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think it is somewhere in between. Allen is probably the best route runner in the league, but is almost always immediately tacked after very catch. Zero threat of YAC from him because of his lack of speed and open field wiggle. But if you need a first down, he is ultra reliable. Williams is great at those downfield spectacular contested catches, but is also not much of a threat for a YAC guy. Nobody on the team is a threat to take it to the house, aside from Ekeler.
                    Thank you!

If I am the Chargers and Allen would be willing to take a pay cut - fine

I am just not kicking 15m of cap space for a guy they are probably going to release in a year. That is bad cap management. That is being sentimental

And right now - he is like you said - he is more of a 3rd down WR. He is not a true #1 WR. The Chargers need a #1 WR

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I'm sorry to tell you that 5-6 yards per catch isn't going to cut it.
                      Add 5 and 6 together... tell me what you have...
                      Last year, MW had more 40+ receptions than anybody.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lol, you realize that we already have a first round qb, wr, de, oT, OG……
                        Yup. Sounds like it's time to draft an OT/ CB in the 1st.
                        Along with 1st round QB's, OT's, DE's, and WR's, you'll find a lot of 1st round CB's on good teams. Some teams even get 2 first-round tackles (gasp)...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          Passing yards mean nothing if we can't score points or if we can get crucial yards/first downs.
                          2 words... Run, Game.

Comment

Working...
                          X