• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm not sure if you've looked @the 2023 Chargers cap space. They're $20 million over the cap. Surely, some of the current players will be cut... and others will be re-structured. But for every year/player you re-structure... you are stealing from your 2024/2025 cap. Herberts new contract will eat a lot of that up. Slater's new contract will eat a lot of that up.

I don't know why Pipkins is such a savior. Draft someone better... and pay a lot less at the position for the next 4 or 5 years.

This exact point is why you are either going to restructure, release or trade Keenan Allen
    And this is why you might explore trading Bosa now before. If the Chargers restructure Bosa and push money - they are stuck with him through 2024 in all probability - if not longer

The more I look at both the short term and hte long term - I think the Chargers would be wise to move off of both players this year. I think they open the window for Herbert longer by moving on from both players. Bosa can be debated. But unless Allen takes a pay cut - the time is now to release or trade him

As for Bosa - if they could get a late first from like Seattle and possibly a day 3 pick - thats a good idea.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      No one’s gonna trade for anybody they think we might just cut. 20mil over kills deals.
      Can't cut Bosa - dollars are guaranteed

Allen can be cut -- but who knows, some team like the Bears who need to spend the cash might trade a day 3 pick for him

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This exact point is why you are either going to restructure, release or trade Keenan Allen
        And this is why you might explore trading Bosa now before. If the Chargers restructure Bosa and push money - they are stuck with him through 2024 in all probability - if not longer

The more I look at both the short term and hte long term - I think the Chargers would be wise to move off of both players this year. I think they open the window for Herbert longer by moving on from both players. Bosa can be debated. But unless Allen takes a pay cut - the time is now to release or trade him

As for Bosa - if they could get a late first from like Seattle and possibly a day 3 pick - thats a good idea.

The KA situation reminds of Bill Walsh's old philosophy of letting go of great players a year early rather than a year late.
        KA is a 30 year old possession WR getting paid almost 20 mil a year and missed about half the season with a hamstring.
        He's still a very good player but it would be wise to see what other teams would offer for him. The FA WR class is awful and this draft class is also not seen as a great one so the Chargers might be in a position to sell high.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          No one’s gonna trade for anybody they think we might just cut. 20mil over kills deals.
          Yet it happens. SF got a first from the Colts for Buckner and Denver got a first for Chubb.
          Denver got a 2nd and 3rd for trading Von Miller.

If you wait til they are cut, then you have to compete with 31 other teams to sign them.

There is a down side to waiting and Joey would be a hot commodity.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yet it happens. SF got a first from the Colts for Buckner and Denver got a first for Chubb.
            Denver got a 2nd and 3rd for trading Von Miller.

If you wait til they are cut, then you have to compete with 31 other teams to sign them.

There is a down side to waiting and Joey would be a hot commodity.
            I think the Chargers need to discuss Bosa. Just looking at his contract and how guarantees are triggered. This is the one year they have the out. Granted, he is owed 24m - but a team trading for him could re-work that. If the Chargers rework that - that just pushes money

And a 2nd and a 3rd is what Murray cost the chargers - so basically the equivalent of the 22nd pick of the First round -- I probably take that. Or a late First

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

The KA situation reminds of Bill Walsh's old philosophy of letting go of great players a year early rather than a year late.
              KA is a 30 year old possession WR getting paid almost 20 mil a year and missed about half the season with a hamstring.
              He's still a very good player but it would be wise to see what other teams would offer for him. The FA WR class is awful and this draft class is also not seen as a great one so the Chargers might be in a position to sell high.
              Exactly - a year early over a year late. Now if he takes a true pay cut - I could be on board. But otherwise - I think there will be a market for him

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

I'm not sure if you've looked @the 2023 Chargers cap space. They're $20 million over the cap. Surely, some of the current players will be cut... and others will be re-structured. But for every year/player you re-structure... you are stealing from your 2024/2025 cap. Herberts new contract will eat a lot of that up. Slater's new contract will eat a lot of that up.

I don't know why Pipkins is such a savior. Draft someone better... and pay a lot less at the position for the next 4 or 5 years.
                I am ok with keeping Pip...but if you move Salyer to RT, Zion to LG where he played most of his career, and draft RG O'Cyrus Torrence....well, just another scenario to consider, and it does help the cap.
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• rensoul
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

The Chiefs WR's are not better than the Chargers WR's. The Chiefs beat the Bengals. The Bengals have much better WR's than the Chiefs... but the Chiefs have the better team. I want a better team... and I don't think that has to be a speedy receiver. Continue to build the OL, continue to build the defense. Hell, the Chiefs big off-season move was to trade Tyreek... and continue to re-build their defense. Hopefully, Kellen Moore can figure out how to run the ball better and make the offense more balanced. Hopefully, Staley will be allowed to continue building his defense.
                  The Chiefs WR group doesn't ignore speed. They have Hardman/Toney/ MVS who help create space for guys like Kelce/Juju. Hell, they even took a flier on John Ross for next season. The Chargers WR group is a group of slower players with little YAC ability and it creates spacing issues, anyone who watches 3-4 Chargers games can see it.

Beyond personnel, I would say the biggest difference is coaching. Reid is able to adjust his scheme to get the most out of his personnel like most top tier coaches. In the AFCCG the Chiefs had 3 rookie CB's a rookie safety and a rookie edge playing big roles for them. Spags did a great job with what he's been given to work with.
                  In comparison look at the defensive personnel on the Chargers, from a personnel standpoint they really shouldn't be as bad as they have been the last 2 seasons.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Never have I been so flummoxed.
                    We could go in a hundred different directions.
                    Charger players and their agents will have a major say.
                    BPA ?
                    More like replace who we lose.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• rensoul
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Never have I been so flummoxed.
                      We could go in a hundred different directions.
                      Charger players and their agents will have a major say.
                      BPA ?
                      More like replace who we lose.
                      I think 2022 was the all in year. They went crazy trying to stack the defense with talent and results were underwhelming. With the cap situation for 2023 they may actually have to try to do more with a little less in having to let some guys walk or make a major cut here or there and possibly reap some comp picks for 2024 because I doubt there will be any huge FA signings.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I think 2022 was the all in year. They went crazy trying to stack the defense with talent and results were underwhelming. With the cap situation for 2023 they may actually have to try to do more with a little less in having to let some guys walk or make a major cut here or there and possibly reap some comp picks for 2024 because I doubt there will be any huge FA signings.
                        The way I view the Chargers - -if they push a bunch of money for Bosa and Allen - just take 35m and push it all forward - that will limit their ability to win long term. Truly - they will be in the same boat a year from now

Now if they say release Allen and restructure Bosa - I think that is not bad

But going by Bosa's 22 season - I know he was hurt - but facts are fact, availability is a big deal. And Allen - where they need an upgrade - I think if they can trade Bosa, maybe Allen takes a pay cut - they will have a better chance at winning over the next 4-5 years - keeping Herberts window open longer.

Granted, this would mean Telesco needs to hit on older vets on cheap deals and he might have to do really well in the draft. Meaning no JT Woods or McKittys - but guys that can play right away. Lower ceiling, but higher floors

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the Chargers need to discuss Bosa. Just looking at his contract and how guarantees are triggered. This is the one year they have the out. Granted, he is owed 24m - but a team trading for him could re-work that. If the Chargers rework that - that just pushes money

And a 2nd and a 3rd is what Murray cost the chargers - so basically the equivalent of the 22nd pick of the First round -- I probably take that. Or a late First
                          I agree that they should look into trading him post June 1st but I doubt they will. First, they need to clear cap but it needs to be done before mid March and the FO seems too conservative to let a player like Bosa go in a trade this off-season. I think he's overpaid and it's rare to see a player have a meltdown and cost his team as bad as he did in the playoffs but I don't think he gets moved this off-season.

I think there's more of a chance KA gets moved than Bosa.

Comment

Working...
                          X