• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, just playing. Zion was shaky at RG quite a bit last year, we'll see if return to LG plus a valuable year of NFL experience gets him that step-up to elite level. He was not elite last year.

Salyer so completely overperformed expectations at LT, he's got the look of a mauler when he moves inside to me.

Either way - a win-win is what I'm envisioning and I could care less who thinks which is better as long as both are good, its all subjective fake-stat shit anyway. The LG and RG don't have the same assignment every play, they don't face the same defender every play, its not apples-apples straight math. part of why PFF is often horseshit.

If the rookie is good, I already expect Sarrell takes another step up from his 2023 on/off debut as well - i'm seeing a chance at strength and depth we haven't had in a long time on the OL

except at center . . . . . . . . . . . I don't consider Clapp quality. Can McFadden play center??

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

lol, just playing. Zion was shaky at RG quite a bit last year, we'll see if return to LG plus a valuable year of NFL experience gets him that step-up to elite level. He was not elite last year.

Salyer so completely overperformed expectations at LT, he's got the look of a mauler when he moves inside to me.

Either way - a win-win is what I'm envisioning and I could care less who thinks which is better as long as both are good, its all subjective fake-stat shit anyway. The LG and RG don't have the same assignment every play, they don't face the same defender every play, its not apples-apples straight math. part of why PFF is often horseshit.

If the rookie is good, I already expect Sarrell takes another step up from his 2023 on/off debut as well - i'm seeing a chance at strength and depth we haven't had in a long time on the OL
      OL Lovers:
      It ain't real 'till they're really doing it but they sure look the heck good. I'm with you.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Zion was put at ORG specifically to place him next to the now healthy again Rashawn.

It has to do with NFL experience accrued, skill set, power, and blocking scheme.

Being able to run left at will will alleviate pass blocking issues re Zion.

Salyer's arm length issue, so apparent at OLT vs Chandler Jones, will be managed with Jamaree positioned now at ORG.

The whole chorus line looks marvelous.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I *hope* you're correct, for sure!

I'm just not feeling the "It all comes together, right out of the gate" vibe that so many are.
          Oh! I agree with you. We'll just correct the easy stuff right out of the gate. Come back healthy, build on the base that Lombardi installed.
          Player "chemistry" is in place. One new guy, QJ won't upset them. We'll start with the offense that had Herbert near the top in pass completions and yards and go from there. Avg depth of target per pass, add a successful ground game, score 3rd qtr points, red zone scoring %, etc will be a work in progress IMO.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
            [/B][/U]

except at center . . . . . . . . . . . I don't consider Clapp quality. Can McFadden play center??
            very true, Clapp was horrid in my humble assessment when called on last year
            I haven't heard any whispers yet of trying him out at OC. Sarrell would seem to be a poor candidate.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Oh! I agree with you. We'll just correct the easy stuff right out of the gate. Come back healthy, build on the base that Lombardi installed.
              Player "chemistry" is in place. One new guy, QJ won't upset them. We'll start with the offense that had Herbert near the top in pass completions and yards and go from there. Avg depth of target per pass, add a successful ground game, score 3rd qtr points, red zone scoring %, etc will be a work in progress IMO.
              there will be more change "out of the gate" than you seem to describe. He will keep a few pieces of Lombo, because some pieces are basically a constant on every team in football. But he's not keeping Lombo's base - Lombo's base rushing blocking scheme flat out didn't work, Lombo's base passing scheme didn't stretch the field adequately or push downfield enough.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
                [/B][/U]

Clapp does the simple stuff well, but yes, he's a major step down from Linsley.
                MnFadden is a maybe. I like the idea. We signed a UDFA C from Maryland, 6-3, 330 Johari Branch.
                We need to develop a C prospect. Now would be a good time to start..

Comment

• colorado
                  Fan since '62
                  • Jun 2023
                  • Desert Rat
                  • Nothing but time on my hands
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I *hope* you're correct, for sure!

I'm just not feeling the "It all comes together, right out of the gate" vibe that so many are.
                  Probably you like all the rest of us have seen nothing but disappointment after disappointment every year. Sooner or later we will cross over that hump....cant say I don't blame you for being skeptical about our chances.. we have a very good roster this year. just sayin..
                  Last edited by colorado; 07-24-2023, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

And what, might I ask, is the base Lombo installed?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

MnFadden is a maybe. I like the idea. We signed a UDFA C from Maryland, 6-3, 330 Johari Branch.
                      I'd still like to sign a decent vet C-G...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Desperately . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I hope that prospect is currently on the team. In the meantime let's all pray (hard) that nothing happens to Linsley. Really don't like not having a safety net - at least at edge we have something that might be OK.

The other position that I cannot believe the team hasn't addressed is backup QB. If Herbert bashes his hand on a helmet - our season goes down the toilet. Better protect that man at all costs, cause the season depends on it.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

The fact that they let the backup QB go and simply made Stick the backup, makes me hope maybe they see more to Stick than any of us have seen. But, the truth is, no matter who the #2 is he's not going to be anywhere near as good as Herbert.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X