• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
    In recent history when the Bolts play the Chiefs, the only games the Chargers won were the only games that both Derwin and Bosa played.

That says something about how important they are to our team. Unfortunately, it also says that the games where we have both of them playing are few and far between.
    Which is why it seems to be more important these days in the modern game to maybe have better depth across the board when you have a QB like Herbert, Mahomes, Allen or Burrow. As opposed to having high price players like we do at WR, RB, SS, EDGE, CB, Etc. With not so great low cost backup players especially when you factor injuries into the equation... Maybe just maybe quantity has more value than quality if you have a great QB?

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Which is why it seems to be more important these days in the modern game to maybe have better depth across the board when you have a QB like Herbert, Mahomes, Allen or Burrow. As opposed to having high price players like we do at WR, RB, SS, EDGE, CB, Etc. With not so great low cost backup players especially when you factor injuries into the equation... Maybe just maybe quantity has more value than quality if you have a great QB?
      Sounds good except - finding that many solid backups isn't easy. Most years a GM is doing great if he can pick 3 players in the draft that fill the needs for a solid team. To find enough for good backups you need phenomenal luck in the draft. In effect, you're saying let's have 53 that are all good enough to be starters. It seems it's difficult to find 22. Also, say they sent our top six salaried players away and replaced them in the lineup. Those replacements become starting players and they soon want an increase in their salary.

I'm not sure I'm doing a good job of explaining myself but I just think what you're asking for is nearly impossible.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

Sounds good except - finding that many solid backups isn't easy. Most years a GM is doing great if he can pick 3 players in the draft that fill the needs for a solid team. To find enough for good backups you need phenomenal luck in the draft. In effect, you're saying let's have 53 that are all good enough to be starters. It seems it's difficult to find 22. Also, say they sent our top six salaried players away and replaced them in the lineup. Those replacements become starting players and they soon want an increase in their salary.

I'm not sure I'm doing a good job of explaining myself but I just think what you're asking for is nearly impossible.
        I get your thought, translated the Chiefs and Eagles both have great GM's that draft well! I think we may have had a good draft which will allow us to have a good season provided we get good coaching and our star players stay healthy into the playoffs. If we make the playoffs?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          I'd like to see him make more plays as a pass defender.

As a pass rusher from the safety position, he his brilliant. There is none better in the league.

But as a pass defender, I don't think he's much better than average.

Same as a run defender. He sometimes will make a great stop or a tackle for a loss, and other times he will do a complete whiff on the ball carrier.
          Valid assessment...now, I wonder how much of the whiffs and issues are on Derwin, and how much of it is on the other players, and how much of it is on Staley's D...

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I get your thought, translated the Chiefs and Eagles both have great GM's that draft well! I think we may have had a good draft which will allow us to have a good season provided we get good coaching and our star players stay healthy into the playoffs. If we make the playoffs?
            If you're right that this year's draft was good, we are on our way because last year was pretty darn good. All eight made the team although Wood and Spiller didn't get much playing time yet. But even if they don't cut the mustard six out of eight are doing well.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

If your plan is to draft players but anytime they turn out to be stars, then just let every star player go … count me out. thats a bad plan. 100% disagree.

I can’t believe how much bitching is going on about a pro bowl player. Joey I would understand for last year though I think it’s foolish. But a pro bowl Safety isn’t any good … good grief, guys.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

I'd like to see him make more plays as a pass defender.

As a pass rusher from the safety position, he his brilliant. There is none better in the league.

But as a pass defender, I don't think he's much better than average.

Same as a run defender. He sometimes will make a great stop or a tackle for a loss, and other times he will do a complete whiff on the ball carrier.
                He had a better QB Rating Against than Fitzpatrick did last year. That is pass defense. And why do you keep exaggerating that he constantly whiffs all over the field, it’s just nonsense. Every player misses a tackle, including Fitzpatrick. But DJ does not whiff all over the field, far from it. He is the best tackler in our secondary, by a mile. He had 105 tackles last year, that is a LOT from the Safety position.

You keep saying things that aren’t true about Derwin - whats up, did he accidentally run over your foot in the parking lot or something? If he knew, he would have apologized. And at the same time, you keep blowing up Guyton’s skirt like he is a pro bowl player. Just an odd perspective I can’t understand.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He had a better QB Rating Against than Fitzpatrick did last year. That is pass defense. And why do you keep exaggerating that he constantly whiffs all over the field, it’s just nonsense. Every player misses a tackle, including Fitzpatrick. But DJ does not whiff all over the field, far from it. He is the best tackler in our secondary, by a mile. He had 105 tackles last year, that is a LOT from the Safety position.

You keep saying things that aren’t true about Derwin - whats up, did he accidentally run over your foot in the parking lot or something? If he knew, he would have apologized. And at the same time, you keep blowing up Guyton’s skirt like he is a pro bowl player. Just an odd perspective I can’t understand.
                  I have to now get that image out of my head!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I know you don't understand, and that is why you are frustrated. The difference between Derwin and Guyton is $18 million dollars.

Derwin earns an average of $19.1 mil per year on a five year contract.

Guyton is getting paid less that $1 mil on a 1 year contract.

My issue with Derwin is that he is not playing up to his $19 mil per year contract. The value isn't there.

Guyton, on the other hand, is a good value signing, given his past production, his connection with Herbert, and his contributions as a special teams player.

It's about value. When you are dealing with the constraints of a salary cap, in order to be successful you have to make sure you are getting value of the players you are paying, if you have highly paid players who aren't performing commensurate to their contract, it sucks the life blood out of a team.

I like Derwin. I think he's a good player. But his performance on the field has not been worth $19 mil per year since he signed his new contract. And his bloated salary inhibits the team from spending money to upgrade other areas that need it.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

I know you don't understand, and that is why you are frustrated. The difference between Derwin and Guyton is $18 million dollars.

Derwin earns an average of $19.1 mil per year on a five year contract.

Guyton is getting paid less that $1 mil on a 1 year contract.

My issue with Derwin is that he is not playing up to his $19 mil per year contract. The value isn't there.

Guyton, on the other hand, is a good value signing, given his past production, his connection with Herbert, and his contributions as a special teams player.

It's about value. When you are dealing with the constraints of a salary cap, in order to be successful you have to make sure you are getting value of the players you are paying, if you have highly paid players who aren't performing commensurate to their contract, it sucks the life blood out of a team.

I like Derwin. I think he's a good player. But his performance on the field has not been worth $19 mil per year since he signed his new contract. And his bloated salary inhibits the team from spending money to upgrade other areas that need it.
                      I think we've shared similar sentiments around DJ on a few occasions, namely, the money and cap is not matching his "playmaking"
                      I'm making that distinction from, "production" since he seems to be tasked with everything but the laundry.
                      his lack of playmaking relative to his salary has only been a problem for 1 season, last season
                      But where im curious to see if we have any differing opinions is, his future.
                      2 questions:
                      (1)Do you believe he can be, or (2)will be the playmaker he's being paid to be?
                      I believe he absolutely can, I just don't know if he ever will.
                      I think he has unlimited potential, both physically and mentally to be that green-dot wearing, alpha leader of a dominant defense. I just believe he's falling short in some part due to him and in some part due to his circumstance.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I want to see DJ this year. With a stacked (healthy) Ft 7 and very good CBs. Playing with a leading offense that just keeps scoring.
                        I think he has tried to wear too many hats. When everyone else is doing their job, look out.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

If your plan is to draft players but anytime they turn out to be stars, then just let every star player go … count me out. thats a bad plan. 100% disagree.

I can’t believe how much bitching is going on about a pro bowl player. Joey I would understand for last year though I think it’s foolish. But a pro bowl Safety isn’t any good … good grief, guys.
                          That's not my plan, that was a reply to Electricgold. I was trying to say that if you let your star players go because of their salary, you'd need big time luck in the draft year after year. I did a really bad job of explaining myself.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X