Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You ignored my question. i asked who did they play in that stretch. You responded only with Miami, the only decent offense in that stretch. then you cherry how well Tua played the following week at BUF as if to prove the Chargers defense is better without Derwin and Tua is a 105 Rating QB every other week. Why didn’t you pick the week after the BUF game when he had a QB rating of 80? Or the week before the Charger game when his QB rating was again, yup = 80? You’re so blatant at cherry picking shit it makes you look like a hack. Not saying you are, no, of course not, just saying it makes you LOOK like a cheap dishonest hack. I hope people don’t take away that impression.

MIA scored 17 against us, they were not what caused an 11 PPG average, they were as close to our season average as they were to 11. you again cherry picked only MIA in hackery fashion. So who were these teams that really caused an avg 11 PPG stretch?

Here, I’ll help. It was a horrible TEN offense, a shit show QB meltdown by Foles at Indy, and a clusterfuck implosion of an offense at LAR. To set those 3 teams in the overall 2022 rankings for you:

LAR was 32nd in offense
    TEN was 30th
    IND was 27th

LVR offense was 12th - did you say their offense did better against us than those 3 teams? Wow!
    Let me unfudge the facts for you.

FACT: With Derwin James inactive, the Chargers' defense held the QB in the league's 4th best passing offense to 145 yds, 35.71 completion percentage and a 65.3 rating.

FACT: With Derwin James inactive for three games, and playing fewer than 50 percent of the snaps in the other, the four game stretch of weeks 13-16 the Chargers' defense allowed a total of 44 pts - 11 pts per game.

FACT: When Derwin James returned to the lineup, the Chargers' defense gave up 31 pts in back-to-back games. James did not make a single significant play in either game. No INTs. No tackles for loss. No forced fumbles. No QB hits. He had one PD against the Broncos.

FACT: Derwin James is the highest paid safety in the league. His contract pays him an average of $19.1 mil per year.

FACT: Derwin James' cap hit is $19.9 mil in 2024, $23.9 mil in 2025, and $24.6 mil in 2026.

These are FACTs. No matter how hard you try to fudge them, they remain FACTs.

If you think James' play in 2022 is worth his contract, then bless you. Myself and several others who follow the Chargers happen to believe his play has not lived up to his contract, and it's a concern going forward, especially when Herbert's new contract is out there on the very near horizon.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

DJ played in the NFL's #7 pass defense. He was part of a secondary that was surprisingly good under the circumstances.

Um . . . . . except in Jacksonville . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

You ignored my question. i asked who did they play in that stretch. You responded only with Miami, the only decent offense in that stretch. then you cherry how well Tua played the following week at BUF as if to prove the Chargers defense is better without Derwin and Tua is a 105 Rating QB every other week. Why didn’t you pick the week after the BUF game when he had a QB rating of 80? Or the week before the Charger game when his QB rating was again, yup = 80? You’re so blatant at cherry picking shit it makes you look like a hack. Not saying you are, no, of course not, just saying it makes you LOOK like a cheap dishonest hack. I hope people don’t take away that impression.

MIA scored 17 against us, they were not what caused an 11 PPG average, they were as close to our season average as they were to 11. you again cherry picked only MIA in hackery fashion. So who were these teams that really caused an avg 11 PPG stretch?

Here, I’ll help. It was a horrible TEN offense, a shit show QB meltdown by Foles at Indy, and a clusterfuck implosion of an offense at LAR. To set those 3 teams in the overall 2022 rankings for you:

LAR was 32nd in offense
        TEN was 30th
        IND was 27th

LVR offense was 12th - did you say their offense did better against us than those 3 teams? Wow!

Others have pointed out in other threads (it may even have been you) how well the defense played during this stretch of the season - how good the pass defense in particular was. Using these games as an indicator that we were the # X ranked passing defense - hooray look how great we are!

I've commented on exactly this information in those threads, pointing out that our defense had not necessarily improved, it was just the caliber of competition being shit that made them look good, to which the response was essentially 'so what - stats are stats'.

So - which way do you want it?? Did our defense actually improve without Derwin? Or did we play teams with terrible offenses, with backup / or injured QB's which drove the 'supposed' defensive improvement?

In all seriousness I think one the positives to come out of these games Derwin did not play in is that (maybe / possibly), simplification of the defense contributed to the statistical improvement (even though the competition WAS bad). To me this is an indicator that Staley needs to simplify the defense WHEN Derwin's on the field. Basically get the fuck out of the way and let his players play.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
          Have no idea whether this has merit but I posted it at time of the Miami game and I’ll refresh it now. I began to think that the defense relied too much on Derwin to play 5 positions and save them and when he was out everybody stepped up a bit, locked in a little more and just played better.
          I think this has some merit. Several have suggested that Staley's use of Derwin - having him try to do too much - is large reason why he doesn't play up to his presumed talent/contract. And that the defensive game plan was simplified when he was out of the line up and that contributed to the defense's success without Derwin. It's just interesting that when Derwin returned to the line up in Week 17 and the following week in the playoffs when he played 100 percent of snaps, the defense got lit up. I'd like to believe that the problem with Derwin is Staley's defense and that Staley will simplify the defense in 2023 and that will free up Derwin to be more of a playmaker. I'd really like to see that happen. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
            I think one the positives to come out of these games Derwin did not play in is that (maybe / possibly), simplification of the defense contributed to the statistical improvement (even though the competition WAS bad). To me this is an indicator that Staley needs to simplify the defense WHEN Derwin's on the field. Basically get the fuck out of the way and let his players play.
            After all that we've prognosticated on this subject the past few weeks, I believe it boils down to this. This is the problem and the solution.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              After all that we've prognosticated on this subject the past few weeks, I believe it boils down to this. This is the problem and the solution.
              But will the defensive genius GTFOOTW??

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

But will the defensive genius GTFOOTW??
                That remains to be seen. I can only say "I hope so," but without solid conviction it will happen.

Comment

• Katdnzr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Wow, check in to Powder Blues Forum each day to catch up on the latest Charger debate and insight. Then I have to scroll through page after page of regurgitated come backs that offer nothing interesting or new. Time to check in on the Charger Fans forum for actual interesting discussion.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Katdnzr View Post
                    Wow, check in to Powder Blues Forum each day to catch up on the latest Charger debate and insight. Then I have to scroll through page after page of regurgitated come backs that offer nothing interesting or new. Time to check in on the Charger Fans forum for actual interesting discussion.
                    What else can we do?? There's nothing new to talk about . . . . . . . . .feel free to add a fresh perspective

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

[/B][/U]

Um . . . . . except in Jacksonville . . . . . . .
                      4 interceptions, which the LAC O scored 27 of their 30 points off of. After Davis got injured Lawrence picked on our #5 CB, Special teams had their worst game of the year, Bosa, the worst of his pro life and Herbert was toughing it out when he needed shoulder surgery. It was a ream loss. Pass D did enough to win if STs and O had held up.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Let me unfudge the facts for you.

FACT: With Derwin James inactive, the Chargers' defense held the QB in the league's 4th best passing offense to 145 yds, 35.71 completion percentage and a 65.3 rating.

FACT: With Derwin James inactive for three games, and playing fewer than 50 percent of the snaps in the other, the four game stretch of weeks 13-16 the Chargers' defense allowed a total of 44 pts - 11 pts per game.

FACT: When Derwin James returned to the lineup, the Chargers' defense gave up 31 pts in back-to-back games. James did not make a single significant play in either game. No INTs. No tackles for loss. No forced fumbles. No QB hits. He had one PD against the Broncos.

FACT: Derwin James is the highest paid safety in the league. His contract pays him an average of $19.1 mil per year.

FACT: Derwin James' cap hit is $19.9 mil in 2024, $23.9 mil in 2025, and $24.6 mil in 2026.

These are FACTs. No matter how hard you try to fudge them, they remain FACTs.

If you think James' play in 2022 is worth his contract, then bless you. Myself and several others who follow the Chargers happen to believe his play has not lived up to his contract, and it's a concern going forward, especially when Herbert's new contract is out there on the very near horizon.
                        Bless you as well. The entire NFL considered your assessment and rejected it, so I’m not alone either. Pro. Bowl.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

4 interceptions, which the LAC O scored 27 of their 30 points off of. After Davis got injured Lawrence picked on our #5 CB, Special teams had their worst game of the year, Bosa, the worst of his pro life and Herbert was toughing it out when he needed shoulder surgery. It was a ream loss. Pass D did enough to win if STs and O had held up.
                          Some here think it was Derwin’s fault that Ja’Sir couldn’t cover a JAX WR. He should have abandoned his assignment and went and ran with Taylor and Taylor’s receiver, cuz Lawrence would never notice he wasnt in his position anymore, right?

Probably Derwin’s fault that Joey didn’t break through the constant holding to get a sack, then made two huge penalties as the game wound down. It was probably Derwin whispering in Lombo’s ear calling plays too.

Shit, Derwin probably serve a shitty buffet to the team before the game. I know I wouldn’t eat his cooking.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X