Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    The Dolphins game was a masterful game plan for Staley. Apparently, all you have to do is drop multiple defenders into the middle pass patterns...
    How do you explain that the defense played so well in this game, against one of the best passing offenses in the league, while Derwin was inactive? The week before against the Raiders the Chargers' D got burned for 27 pts. When Derwin returned to the lineup after not playing for four weeks in which the defense gave up an average of 11 pts per game, the defense got burned for 31 pts in consecutive games. How do you explain that?

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      His salary averages out to $19.1 mil per year. Facts Jack.
      Yes but that dont mean a thing to the salary cap. At least not yet.

The salary cap is what allows us to add players. His average salary can be 50 mil a year but if his cap hit is 9 mil......thats what matters. And that 9 mil cap hit isnt keeping us from adding players. Hec Derwins cap hit is only 700K more than Herberts, and thats on his rookie contract.

Facts Jack!

You need to get a better handle on that.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Yes but that dont mean a thing to the salary cap. At least not yet.

The salary cap is what allows us to add players. His average salary can be 50 mil a year but if his cap hit is 9 mil......thats what matters. And that 9 mil cap hit isnt keeping us from adding players. Hec Derwins cap hit is only 700K more than Herberts.

Facts Jack!

You need to get a better handle on that.
        Derwin's cap hit will be $19.9 mil in 2024, $23.9 mil in 2025, and $24.6 mil in 2026. Facts are your friends if you cite them correctly and don't try to fudge the numbers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Derwin's cap hit will be $19.9 mil in 2024, $23.9 mil in 2025, and $24.6 mil in 2026. Facts are your friends if you cite them correctly and don't try to fudge the numbers.
          Yes i posted that as well. Im begginnig to think you cherry pick which part of the posts you read of mine lol. I posted those numbers in the same post as when i said his cap hit was 9.1 this year so im not fudging anything,..... you seem to read what you want to.

Point is...his cap hit this year IS NOT hindering us from getting players this year AS YOU STATED. And AGAIN...there are 8 others with a higher cap hit than Derwin....THIS YEAR.

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Look up the stats of any SS that you consider great, that goes for hall of famers ETC. and compare them with Derwin James stats year after year and you won't find his production to be that far off from any great SS ever. IS the real argument that we shouldn't be paying him what we do? I'm pretty sure there are other NFL teams that would pay him what he's making now here if given the opportunity.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

James was inactive weeks 13-16 last season, except for the game @ Indy when he played less than 50 percent of the defensive snaps. The defense allowed an average of 11 pts per game during those four games. (Derwin was out of the line up for 3-1/2 of those games.)

That stretch of games started with the brilliant defensive performance against the Dolphins. They held Tua to 145 yds passing, a 35.71 completion percentage and a passer rating of 65 - season lows for Tua in each of these categories. This was one of the best performances of any defense in the 2022 season. Accomplished with Derwin inactive. The following week Tua went to Buffalo and threw for 234 yds, 2 TDs and had a 104.0 passer rating. Tua and the Dolphins had the 4th best passing offense in 2022, right behind the Chargers at No. 3. But the Chargers defense completely stymied that offense, without Derwin (or Bosa).

In Week 12, the game prior to the Miami game, the Chargers' pass defense got smoked by Derek Carr and the Raiders for 27 pts and a loss. Derwin played 100 percent of the snaps in that game.

In week 17 when Derwin returned to the lineup full time, the Chargers got smoked again for 31 pts by Russell Wilson and the Broncos.

Make of it what you will. But the four games that Derwin missed (or mostly missed) the defense gave up an average of 11 pts per game, and that stretch included a game against a top 5 passing offense. In the two games immediately prior to this stretch (week 12) and immediately after this stretch (week 17), in which James played most of the snaps, the Chargers' defense gave up an average of 29 pts. Again, make of it what you will. But these are facts.

Then there was the debacle in Jax, in which the Chargers' defense gave up 31 pts, with Derwin playing 100 percent of the snaps.
              Is there a reason the only team you mentioned was the one good team/QB in that stretch? What a coincidence.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Well, you’ve given us a lot to think about.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, you’ve given us a lot to think about.
                  Speak for yourself.
                  I'm not an NFL bean counter. Too many variables.
                  Win this year. Hang TT and McGuire (In effigy) next year if there's a money problem then.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Is there a reason the only team you mentioned was the one good team/QB in that stretch? What a coincidence.
                    I didn't decide the matchups. They were what the they were and I said make of it what you will. But the defense was brilliant against one of the league's best passing attacks with James inactive. Whereby the week before it was awful with James playing 100 percent of snaps. Again make of it what you will, but these are facts.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                      Day One...
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Brentwood, 94513
                      • Send PM

Good times, hurry up season, we need something else to debate.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I didn't decide the matchups. They were what the they were and I said make of it what you will. But the defense was brilliant against one of the league's best passing attacks with James inactive. Whereby the week before it was awful with James playing 100 percent of snaps. Again make of it what you will, but these are facts.
                        Have no idea whether this has merit but I posted it at time of the Miami game and I’ll refresh it now. I began to think that the defense relied too much on Derwin to play 5 positions and save them and when he was out everybody stepped up a bit, locked in a little more and just played better. Of course, the defense really started playing better when the Mack/Van Noy defensive team dinners and accountability sessions started. I will miss. An Noy for that. Staley may as well.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

You ignored my question. i asked who did they play in that stretch. You responded only with Miami, the only decent offense in that stretch. then you cherry how well Tua played the following week at BUF as if to prove the Chargers defense is better without Derwin and Tua is a 105 Rating QB every other week. Why didn’t you pick the week after the BUF game when he had a QB rating of 80? Or the week before the Charger game when his QB rating was again, yup = 80? You’re so blatant at cherry picking shit it makes you look like a hack. Not saying you are, no, of course not, just saying it makes you LOOK like a cheap dishonest hack. I hope people don’t take away that impression.

MIA scored 17 against us, they were not what caused an 11 PPG average, they were as close to our season average as they were to 11. you again cherry picked only MIA in hackery fashion. So who were these teams that really caused an avg 11 PPG stretch?

Here, I’ll help. It was a horrible TEN offense, a shit show QB meltdown by Foles at Indy, and a clusterfuck implosion of an offense at LAR. To set those 3 teams in the overall 2022 rankings for you:

LAR was 32nd in offense
                          TEN was 30th
                          IND was 27th

LVR offense was 12th - did you say their offense did better against us than those 3 teams? Wow!

Comment

Working...
                          X