• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

They drafted a kick returner . . . . . . . . . . with speed...who doesn't run backwards on returns...
    There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      What I'm seein'...

Run it left Kellen.
      Behind Rashawn and Zion.
      Powerful, sustained blocks.
      We can dominate.
      Like Dallas.
      Rashawn and Zion are the Bolt Hogs...with a hat tip to the old Redskins...now, who is our Riggin? Ekkie?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

IMO, you've hit the nail on the head... and even made my argument for me.
        He won't do the same thing he did with Dallas. He didn't have the same weapons @WR that he'll have available to him @LAC.

IMO, there isn't an NFL team that has the WR corps (#1-6) that we have... and it's a varied group of WR's skillset-wise. They didn't go out and draft more TE's and RB's. IMO, he'll implement an Air Raid style of offense.
        Instead of 12 and 13 personnel groupings, he'll use 10 and 11 personnel groupings... because that's where the talent is.

And BTW... Air Raid systems are no longer pass, pass, pass systems. They now run the ball very well (look @Garrett Riley's system).

They run the ball well because they spread a defense out and take defenders out of the box. Both Staley and Moore have talked about this.

I expect a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB formations. I expect a lot of 4 WR, 1 RB formations. Why? Because that's where the talent is.

I also expect a lot of 4x1 overloads... a lot of motion and shifts to help Herbert identify favorable matchups and zone/man reads.

Bubble screens (and their bunch formations help create overload or mismatches.
        Jet sweeps help take defenders out of the box... and even offer another run option. And who is the player you want running those sweeps and screens...? It ain't Keenan Allen. It ain't Joshua Palmer. It ain't Mike Williams.

Andy Reid has been doing this for a few years now. Speaking of Andy Reid... he didn't seem to have much trouble with "chemistry" even after Tykeek left... and how many new WR's did he have last year...? Didn't he just let JuJu leave...?

Chemistry and cylinders need scientists and mechanics. I think in Moore we found both...

The new formations and pre-snap motion will open up the running game. I expect Ekeler will be very happy. I expect Kelley to continue to improve. I expect Spiller will be able to show us what he can do now that he's healthy.

I hope I convinced you.
        I *hope* you're correct, for sure!

I'm just not feeling the "It all comes together, right out of the gate" vibe that so many are.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
          • Feb 2019
          • McLean Illinois
          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
          • Send PM

IMO, you've hit the nail on the head... and even made my argument for me.
          He won't do the same thing he did with Dallas. He didn't have the same weapons @WR that he'll have available to him @LAC.

IMO, there isn't an NFL team that has the WR corps (#1-6) that we have... and it's a varied group of WR's skillset-wise. They didn't go out and draft more TE's and RB's. IMO, he'll implement an Air Raid style of offense.
          Instead of 12 and 13 personnel groupings, he'll use 10 and 11 personnel groupings... because that's where the talent is.

And BTW... Air Raid systems are no longer pass, pass, pass systems. They now run the ball very well (look @Garrett Riley's system).

They run the ball well because they spread a defense out and take defenders out of the box. Both Staley and Moore have talked about this.

I expect a lot of 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB formations. I expect a lot of 4 WR, 1 RB formations. Why? Because that's where the talent is.

I also expect a lot of 4x1 overloads... a lot of motion and shifts to help Herbert identify favorable matchups and zone/man reads.

Bubble screens (and their bunch formations help create overload or mismatches.
          Jet sweeps help take defenders out of the box... and even offer another run option. And who is the player you want running those sweeps and screens...? It ain't Keenan Allen. It ain't Joshua Palmer. It ain't Mike Williams.

Andy Reid has been doing this for a few years now. Speaking of Andy Reid... he didn't seem to have much trouble with "chemistry" even after Tykeek left... and how many new WR's did he have last year...? Didn't he just let JuJu leave...?

Chemistry and cylinders need scientists and mechanics. I think in Moore we found both...

The new formations and pre-snap motion will open up the running game. I expect Ekeler will be very happy. I expect Kelley to continue to improve. I expect Spiller will be able to show us what he can do now that he's healthy.

I hope I convinced you.
          Good stuff....in a summer full of inane commentary and hijacked threads, good to check in and see some football talk! Thank god camp is finally here...we'll get this place back on track...
          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Rashawn and Zion are the Bolt Hogs...with a hat tip to the old Redskins...now, who is our Riggin? Ekkie?
            What if i predicted that Salyer will be the best OG on the team by Week 6, would that be sacrilege? blasphemy?

Because, i mean, i could just not say it …
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

What if i predicted that Salyer will be the best OG on the team by Week 6, would that be sacrilege? blasphemy?

Because, i mean, i could just not say it …
              Go ahead, predict away!

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

As the Oline goes, so goes this new O. If they come onto the field day one and simply dominate, hit their blocks and cover their gaps, Moore’s O will succeed beyond our wildest dreams. Seems redundant to say it all starts in the trenches, but it really does.

On the nicer side of oops, if Herbie gets in trouble, heck he’s got some pretty amazing players at all skill positions who excel at making something out of nothing. Our broken plays could net bigger gains than a lot of teams’ designed plays, methinks.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I *hope* you're correct, for sure!

I'm just not feeling the "It all comes together, right out of the gate" vibe that so many are.
                  It's better than last year's "It all falls apart, right out of the gate"... I had a lot of hope for last year. Then the injuries kept piling up.
                  There is every reason to be optimistic this year. We have one of the best rosters ever. I really like what Moore brings to the offense.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Good stuff....in a summer full of inane commentary and hijacked threads, good to check in and see some football talk! Thank god camp is finally here...we'll get this place back on track...
                    Right...? Can't wait!

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

[QUOTE=blueman;n1511595]As the Oline goes, so goes this new O. If they come onto the field day one and simply dominate, hit their blocks and cover their gaps, Moore’s O will succeed beyond our wildest dreams. Seems redundant to say it all starts in the trenches, but it really does.

On the nicer side of oops, if Herbie gets in trouble, heck he’s got some pretty amazing players at all skill positions who excel at making something out of nothing. Our broken plays could net bigger gains than a lot of teams’ designed plays, methinks.[/QUOTE

So excited! The people who know me from the CMB know that I've been harping on the OL for years. Well, it's finally built! And now... with Moore calling plays... it's time to enjoy!

Mark my words... we're making a run at it this year.
                      Some will say that I'm just a Pollyanna. But those who have kept track know better.
                      In the past, I've declared the Chargers dead before they ever left the station.
                      Most of those dark prognostications stemmed from the awful OL's we had.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

Mark my words... we're making a run at it this year.
                        Some will say that I'm just a Pollyanna. But those who have kept track know better.
                        In the past, I've declared the Chargers dead before they ever left the station.
                        Most of those dark prognostications stemmed from the awful OL's we had.
                        I hear ya. I completely feel that way as well. I think our O Line could end up being one of the best in the league. Herbert with time = Assassin. I just placed a bet for Herbert's upcoming MVP. I was feeling a lil optimistic Saturday night.

Suddenly we have a very deep WR room. The biggest question mark IMO is the DL. Can this group come together and be at least an average run stopping defense? It would be huge if they can.

Camp positions to watch
                        WR's: Palmer, Guyton, QJ. Should be an interesting camp for these 3. Will QJ emerge as the clear #3? Will DD push Guyton?
                        BOTH Lines:
                        One of the best O lines in the league. Can they raise the level of our D line? D line was by FAR the weakest unit on the team last year. We need major improvements from a few players.
                        CB's: JC Jackson the Elephant in the room. Can he return to form? If he does this will be one of the best secondaries in the league.
                        Safety: Who is going to step up and fill a very pedestrian Adderley's spot? Gilman? I would love to see Woods come out of nowhere and grab that starter spot.

2 days and counting....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Go ahead, predict away!
                          lol, just playing. Zion was shaky at RG quite a bit last year, we'll see if return to LG plus a valuable year of NFL experience gets him that step-up to elite level. He was not elite last year.

Salyer so completely overperformed expectations at LT, he's got the look of a mauler when he moves inside to me.

Either way - a win-win is what I'm envisioning and I could care less who thinks which is better as long as both are good, its all subjective fake-stat shit anyway. The LG and RG don't have the same assignment every play, they don't face the same defender every play, its not apples-apples straight math. part of why PFF is often horseshit.

If the rookie is good, I already expect Sarrell takes another step up from his 2023 on/off debut as well - i'm seeing a chance at strength and depth we haven't had in a long time on the OL
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X