• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

We don't have to have TCU coaches to run that Air Raid Offense. Kellen Moore already knows it. The draft shows us that he wants to run something similar... 2 WR's and an Air Raid savvy QB. Paired that with the fact that no RB's or TE's were selected. Everyone was sure that a RB and/or a TE would be drafted (myself included). Yet they drafted neither.

WR's #1-4 are pretty damn good... so maybe you're right that DD gets few opportunities at WR.
    But I think that it's an opportunity-lost if they don't use him on bubble-screens and jet-screens.

Here's an article that explains what jet sweeps bubble screens can do for an offense...
    I am going to talk to you about attacking the perimeter. The play that plays a big part in that is the jet sweep. It has been a good play for us. We ran the play years ago, but we were not very good at it. We changed the blocking scheme slightly ...

Here a couple of interesting thoughts if you don't want to read the whole article:
    And we are never wrong lol.
    And yes, if our top WRs are pretty much healthy, DD won't see the field much as a WR this season anyways.
    We'll see who stays for 2024.

Still, at his size I don't see him being close to an every down WR anyways but mixed I'm more , yes. He was drafted to be a KR, occasional WR.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I’ll wait for TC for sorting out the bottom of the WR group. Best dudes win.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Little compared to top 4, as in some? Yes
        I think we have a bonafide Top-3 (KA, MW, and QJ).
        After that, I'd say we have 4a, 4b, and 4c... Palmer, Everett, and DD respectively.
        Each one offers a different skillset... and can attack a defense differently.

I could see Moore running a 4-WR, 1-RB formation a majority of the time... those are our "best-players-on-the-field" approach.
        If that 4-WR approach plays out... an equal rotation of Palmer/Everett/DD would be wise. It certainly would give defense a lot of different things to prepare for every week. From defense to defense, it would probably present different mis-matches every week, too.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          I’ll wait for TC for sorting out the bottom of the WR group. Best dudes win.
          Soon, my fellow Bolt fan, soon. Three days and it:cheers: begins.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

I think we have a bonafide Top-3 (KA, MW, and QJ).
            After that, I'd say we have 4a, 4b, and 4c... Palmer, Everett, and DD respectively.
            Each one offers a different skillset... and can attack a defense differently.

I could see Moore running a 4-WR, 1-RB formation a majority of the time... those are our "best-players-on-the-field" approach.
            If that 4-WR approach plays out... an equal rotation of Palmer/Everett/DD would be wise. It certainly would give defense a lot of different things to prepare for every week. From defense to defense, it would probably present different mis-matches every week, too.
            Guyton over DD . . . . . . . . . . . . I think he'll benefit from Moore's offensive scheme

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Guyton over DD . . . . . . . . . . . . I think he'll benefit from Moore's offensive scheme
              With 6 WR's on the roster... I bet Guyton isn't even active most weeks.
              Whereas, DD will be active every week as the team's KR/PR man.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

With 6 WR's on the roster... I bet Guyton isn't even active most weeks.
                Whereas, DD will be active every week as the team's KR/PR man.
                Maybe . . . . . . . . . . . . but I don't think you're giving Guyton his due. DD's the flavor of the month ATM, but Guyton has years of experience with Herbert. Moore also has a history of carrying lots of WR's and (if healthy) Guyton fits the bill as the deep threat component.

It's possible that Guyton isn't 100% healthy to start the season so may end up on the sidelines to start with . . . . . . . . just one of the many decisions to be made in camp this year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Maybe . . . . . . . . . . . . but I don't think you're giving Guyton his due. DD's the flavor of the month ATM, but Guyton has years of experience with Herbert. Moore also has a history of carrying lots of WR's and (if healthy) Guyton fits the bill as the deep threat component.

It's possible that Guyton isn't 100% healthy to start the season so may end up on the sidelines to start with . . . . . . . . just one of the many decisions to be made in camp this year.
                  DD is nothing more than imagination at this point. I think they use him very little because of his size, they will “save” him for PR/KR ST. Guyton will be an interesting discovery of who comes to and emerges from camp. I can’t wait to see it all unfold - how much longer!!!
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

DD is nothing more than imagination at this point. I think they use him very little because of his size, they will “save” him for PR/KR ST. Guyton will be an interesting discovery of who comes to and emerges from camp. I can’t wait to see it all unfold - how much longer!!!
                    Agreed . . . . . . . . . . how Guyton is handled is one of the more interesting aspects of the SOON TO START Chargers training camp!!!!!!!

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Jalen Guyton is due what he is due. Over 5 seasons, he has 61 receptions for 1,023 yards.
                      He has 9 carries for 34 yards (3.8 ypc). He has no PR/KR experience at all. He has deep speed... and that's why he was re-signed.

If Jalen Guyton had been re-signed AFTER the draft... I might have more hope. A 1-year, vet minimum contract doesn't scream confidence.
                      The fact that they drafted a WR in the 4th round with speed... suggests to me that they may want to replace him after this year.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

3 More days till football begins!!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Jalen Guyton is due what he is due. Over 5 seasons, he has 61 receptions for 1,023 yards.
                          He has 9 carries for 34 yards (3.8 ypc). He has no PR/KR experience at all. He has deep speed... and that's why he was re-signed.

If Jalen Guyton had been re-signed AFTER the draft... I might have more hope. A 1-year, vet minimum contract doesn't scream confidence.
                          The fact that they drafted a WR in the 4th round with speed... suggests to me that they may want to replace him after this year.
                          He’s roster insurance. We know he’s a lot better than the scrubs we had to put on the field last year. I don’t think he’s better than WR1-4, despite his speed, and DD will be active for PR/KR so that effectively slots him 6. I don’t think WR6 will be active on game days.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X