Chargers hang 40

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
      Like he knew not to play MW in that meaningless Denver game last year, because, well . . . . . . . . everyone knew that we couldn't afford to get him hurt, right? Oh . . . . . . . wait

And what does JC do when they're in motion? Or they start the play 3 yds off the LOS and he can't get his hands on them? Blowby. IF Staley's going to play zone then JC has a chance, but he wasn't very good in Staley's zone defense last year. . . . . . . . . . IMO JC Jackson (on a bad wheel) covering either Hill or Waddel is a bad matchup, and one that Miami will find quickly and exploit mercilessly.
      I’m not counting last year as the key predictor for this year. It’s been discussed here at length. I don’t get your connection to Williams in the Denver game either. I’d note that half this crowd wanted the starters to play that game. People got real sure they shouldn’t after the injury.

JCJ doesn’t have a bad wheel now. If he did, he’d be on the injury report - its a rule.

When who is in motion? How many they are in motion? 3 yards off the LOS, why stop there - how about 5 or 7? Staley and Ainsley have schemes for players in motion. Maybe draw it out for me, did you have a specific formation+motion you’re worried about.

I get it - you’re still unsure.

I see whats going on - you’re sneaking in a lil snarky at me to try and trick me to revert - nuh uh brah!

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
        Chargers hang 40
        wrong thread oops

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          I prefer to win 41-17 but if the Chargers are able to win 24-6, I will take it !
          I'm guessing 30-17 Bolts win...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’m not counting last year as the key predictor for this year. It’s been discussed here at length. I don’t get your connection to Williams in the Denver game either. I referenced this situation from last year because in your original post you implied that Staley knows best. I'm pointing out that he clearly doesn't based on his idiotic decision to play MW in the Denver game. I’d note that half this crowd wanted the starters to play that game. People got real sure they shouldn’t after the injury.

JCJ doesn’t have a bad wheel now. If he did, he’d be on the injury report - its a rule. JC's made great strides, but he's clearly NOT all the way back. It feels like an un-necessary risk to put this much pressure on that relatively untested (and reconstructed) knee.

When who is in motion? How many they are in motion? 3 yards off the LOS, why stop there - how about 5 or 7? Staley and Ainsley have schemes for players in motion. Maybe draw it out for me, did you have a specific formation+motion you’re worried about. JC's strength is in getting his hands on receivers, playing physical, forcing them out of their planned route and disrupting the play timing. This is an extremely difficult task when playing against smaller, blindingly fast receivers - like Hill and Waddel. Miami will put them in motion and/or line them up off the LOS to make it even harder to engage them - gives them a running start. IMO JC Jackson is not as good a matchup for the Chargers on Miami's outside receives as ASJ. It's also my opinion that he's got a fairly good chance to reinjure himself trying to cope with a very difficult cover situation this early in the season when he's not 100% healthy.

I get it - you’re still unsure.

I see whats going on - you’re sneaking in a lil snarky at me to try and trick me to revert - nuh uh brah! You got me - that's what I was doing . . . . . Nice Satan reference too - much appreciated

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

I didn't copy your replies down - hopefully you can follow along and this isn't confusing.

Last first: "Not today, Satan" is just an expression that thou (me) shall resist temptation to be evil. I didn't mean you are Satan, apologies if i shorthanded it. It was a joke about myself that I am easily lured into writing vitriolic responses and as you know, I'm trying to be better. Day 3 . Clearly you are a good man. I stipulate for the record you are not Satan. Assuming you can confirm he didnt give you a nudge? (We'll believe your answer)

My reference to Staley was more specific - he knows all of the defensive schemes, strategies, players, and defensive options better than we do. I believe that. Play or not play starters in the last game or not is just a very different topic than that. its fine you think differently.

your view of the matchup is an opinion. Mine is a good strategy against their WRs is to jam and disrupt them, throw off Tua's timing and rhythm. JCJ is better at that. A better question is how much does Staley play press vs off, zone vs man, etc. I don't know. Mine is an opinion, like yours, neither of us "know". We can disagree and watch on Sunday. BTW - waddle is dinged up with an oblique (strain?), he will probably play but is he 100%? I hope he is not.

we didnt see JCJ play one snap in preseason games, I don't know how you know he isn't fully back. Coaches watch him every day, they have more knowledge.

his chance of reinjury is conjecture. I have no medical information or expertise to assess that, not sure - do you?

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                Chargers named 9 captains for the 2023 team:

Slayer
                Eke
                Harris
                Herbie
                Derwin
                Mack
                Linsley
                SJD
                Kendricks
                Is 9 a lot of captains? I don't pay a lot of attention to it, but seems like having so many dilutes the significance? Also if you watch the new episode of All In, which continues to be so well done, Staley also has a leadership council with pretty much every star player on it that is supposed to inspire and lead the team from the side. I like that idea and all the captains except maybe Harris seem to be on the leadership council, but it also has additional players on it. It's confusing to me.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Is JC Jackson really going to start this game (on the outside)? Against the type of speed Hill and Waddel bring? JC's game was always predicated on his smarts and his ability to be physical and jam guys at the LOS - he's not a burner - even before the injury. Hill and Waddel are they types of receivers he can struggle with, ie; smaller, quicker and with blazing speed. Seems like a poor matchup for us, and will force him to put max pressure on that injured knee right off the bat - feels like high risk low reward . . . . . . . . . . . I'd think that ASJ would be a better fit on the outside - at least for this game.
                  Actually, the book on Waddle and the Dolphin offense with Tua is to disrupt the WRs release. That is where Jackson actually excels. He is (was?) extremely physical in man or bump and run. The Chargers did that a lot last season and it messed Tua up. Hill is Hill. He is going to get his. But Waddle can be made less effective by hurting Tua's timing. McDaniel is smart and I am sure he will use all kinds of motion to get free releases or near free releases for both WRs. So this comes down to Staley/Ainsley confusing Tua with looks and coverages like they did last time.

I do have a concern about Jackson from a different perspective though. He seems to have a lot of pride (not all bad) and clearly feels like he let the team down last season and did not earn his money (again, not all bad). I just hope he plays normally and lets the game come to him vs trying to make up for all of last season in this first game. Because that is not going to work and is going to mess him up mentally. If Staley and Ainsley are smart, Jackson plays half a game or so in total snaps and gets lots of breaks. Zont can step up for him.

From your amateur psychologist.... Dr Heatmiser
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Is 9 a lot of captains? I don't pay a lot of attention to it, but seems like having so many dilutes the significance? Also if you watch the new episode of All In, which continues to be so well done, Staley also has a leadership council with pretty much every star player on it that is supposed to inspire and lead the team from the side. I like that idea and all the captains except maybe Harris seem to be on the leadership council, but it also has additional players on it. It's confusing to me.

TG
                    9 seems a lot. I don't believe that it diminishes the honor. It's a reflection on the number of excellent football players/ great people on the '23 Chargers.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

9 seems a lot. I don't believe that it diminishes the honor. It's a reflection on the number of excellent football players/ great people on the '23 Chargers.
                      Beats me - quick google

Pats - 6
                      CIN - 6
                      JETS - 3
                      LVR - 7
                      AZ - 6
                      Bills - 8
                      DEN - 7
                      LAR - 8

i'm gonna stop here ... I saw one team with 9 - NYG. Between 6 and our 9 is the regular. I don't think it matters at all.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Actually, the book on Waddle and the Dolphin offense with Tua is to disrupt the WRs release. That is where Jackson actually excels. He is (was?) extremely physical in man or bump and run. The Chargers did that a lot last season and it messed Tua up. Hill is Hill. He is going to get his. But Waddle can be made less effective by hurting Tua's timing. McDaniel is smart and I am sure he will use all kinds of motion to get free releases or near free releases for both WRs. So this comes down to Staley/Ainsley confusing Tua with looks and coverages like they did last time.

I do have a concern about Jackson from a different perspective though. He seems to have a lot of pride (not all bad) and clearly feels like he let the team down last season and did not earn his money (again, not all bad). I just hope he plays normally and lets the game come to him vs trying to make up for all of last season in this first game. Because that is not going to work and is going to mess him up mentally. If Staley and Ainsley are smart, Jackson plays half a game or so in total snaps and gets lots of breaks. Zont can step up for him.

my view too. ASJ is both not as good at jamming WR and better in the slot.

Take JCJ out and move ASJ outside, who's playing nickel now which is 50% of Staley's defense?
                        I am not worried about him over-priding it ( to make up a phrase)

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

If he's smart he'll utilize his RBs and TEs more. McDaniel failed to make adjustments last year when his O was sputtering. Didn't attack us on the ground,
                          weak spot last year. Our other weak spot is in covering TEs. If we have to use James (as we sometimes do) it opens up the passing game for Hill.
                          We can counter with bringing in a 5th dB. That can open the door to their running game.

I expect the Chargers to win this game. Dolphins will be missing their best safety and their best OT is questionable. But the game will likely be a lot
                          closer than a lot of us expect. First game always going to be some rust and we didn't play any of our starters of significance in the preseason.

Jackson was pretty bad last year when he did play. But according to reports he was healing from an injury. So really I don't know what to expect
                          from the guy. Reports are positive. But until we see him in game situations who knows?

Comment

Working...
                          X