• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Besides, every uear the top 2-3 backs in every draft are available to playoff teams between pick #20 all the way thru pick #50 or so

the point is that even if this team goes to playoffs next year they’ll still be in a position to draft one of the best runners coming out of college AGAIN next year…you cant’t always say that about edge or offensive…this is the year to load up on edge and o-line talent, the value will be off the charts compared to most drafts…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
      Besides, every uear the top 2-3 backs in every draft are available to playoff teams between pick #20 all the way thru pick #50 or so

the point is that even if this team goes to playoffs next year they’ll still be in a position to draft one of the best runners coming out of college AGAIN next year…you cant’t always say that about edge or offensive…this is the year to load up on edge and o-line talent, the value will be off the charts compared to most drafts…
      kinda feel the opposite, as eye see a top shelf RB and some NT talent, that we haven't had a shot at in many moons/drafts, and.... granted there might be a better talent @another position, but gotta think it wise to keep the RB and NT in my cluster until proven otherwise ?? ....'specially since I'm not overly enamored w/any edge nor OT in particular (did like Jared Verse for a bit).
      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I haven't disregarded Spiller. It's just an observation that he couldn't get past 3rd string or even dressed for games at times during his rookie season. Why that is? I guess only the coaching staff knows but either way it doesn't inspire confidence for what they may think of him.

I think Kelley showed improvement but he hasn't really shown he's a top tier player in his past 3 seasons and his contract is up after 2023. Eckler would best be used in RBBC and his contract is also up after 2023.

So whether or not they pick Bijan would likely come down to how good they think Spiller is moving forward.
        There will be another robinson available in the late 1st to mid second again next year AND, the top backs have the lowest learning curve of any position, they can always come in year one and play…

I’m okay drafting a RB in the first round again, but I think that should happen next year, this team still has more important needs else where and is in dire need of depth at edge, wr, and o-line…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Drafting a RB this year basically means that spiller will be cut, he doesn’t play special teams the way the team likes and he’d be a #4 RB without STs duty, that sounds like a kid that’s going to be shown the door before he ever had a chance to show what he can do…I think that would be a mistake…

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

They don’t need to draft another RB, not when we need edge, wr, and O-line depth so desperately…
            huh.... ?? we have two all world players @edge, two starters @WR set in stone w/a pretty decent third there, and this board has anointed our projected starting Oline as a top ten unit.

our run game was ranked bottom of the barrel, and our starter is not a between the tackles runner.... we need an RB.
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

How have folks come to the determination that spiller can’t play? The kid didn’t even get a look last year, nothing, lombo overworked ekeler and underused both an ascending kelley and spiller…we have three excellent backs, they just need a chance to show what they can do with an OC that will actually feature the run game a bit…
              Spiller is anything but excellent.... he also has shown no signs of being an NFL starter, and not even sure he's a legit backup ?? personally think he would be doing well to make the 53, as not so sure what you've seen that makes you think he is any kind of great pickup ??

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

I'm sorry but I see nothing special in Spiller or Kelly. They are just average, if that, RBs in the NFL. That doesn't mean we should go with a RB in the 1st.
                We have many needs so BPA seems the way to go. Many here seem to believe that our O line will be top 10 in 2023. If that is the case why would we
                draft a O line guy in the 1st? Lots of different opinions. If we go by need LB would be #1 on the list. An elite DL guy or Edge would also be welcome.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

BPA is BPA, regardless of the depth chart…”with a chance to start” changes everything because it implies you are not taking the BPA regardless of whether or not he’ll play right away…You need to use “BPA at a position of need” and that could easily be a reach pick…

why does everyone want a RB again this year, I’m so confused by that, RB is a next year (2024) luxury move, this team still has too many needs elswhere…our starting RB has lead the NFL in TDs two years in a row with bad play calling and in a predictable offense and we have spiller plus kelley really blossomed last year, why do we need a RB? IMO with the emergence of kelley and spiller’s potential we are in a better position at RB than we have been in years, what am I missing here?

the chargers will not be drafting a LB in the first round as long as staley is coach…this year they will most likely draft Edge or WR and perhaps even OL in round 1 depending on what happens with pipkins…
                  Agree BPA is BPA. BPA at PON is a can of worms. As you say, may be a reach. "With a chance to start" means that they may simply prove to be our best player at a given position during the season. For example: putting healthy Herbert, Slater, DJ, Davis on the bench is very unlikely. TE, LG can be upgraded. RT may be open, TBD. WR see a lot of snaps, Working up can be done by a potential star. Same for 3T, Edge, LB, slot CB, FS.
                  RB Johnson is about a star who might drop due to position value. No need involved unless we aspire to be a great running team. Ekeler is very good, Kelley is a decent #2. Spiller ? TBD. We probably are adequate. Maybe it was just playcalling & poor OL v Jax & the 2022 #30 rushing season
                  LB Sanders meets needs at pass D, Run D, run & QB blitz. LAC, even with Staley uses those skills.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

There will be another robinson available in the late 1st to mid second again next year AND, the top backs have the lowest learning curve of any position, they can always come in year one and play…

I’m okay drafting a RB in the first round again, but I think that should happen next year, this team still has more important needs else where and is in dire need of depth at edge, wr, and o-line…
                    know there wasn't a Robinson in the draft last offseason, and not sure there is a Robinson in next year's draft (albeit there are quite a few top ranked backs as of now), and most of all.... don't get the logic of drafting by position, as personally have no interest in an RB if Robinson is off the board, and.... ditto for next year, as it will be the player that I'll be wanting to draft, and not the position of RB.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

huh.... ?? we have two all world players @edge, two starters @WR set in stone w/a pretty decent third there, and this board has anointed our projected starting Oline as a top ten unit.

our run game was ranked bottom of the barrel, and our starter is not a between the tackles runner.... we need an RB.
                      Agree. Saying we have RB depth is like saying we have OT/WR/Edge depth, sure there are bodies, but talent-wise we need to upgrade everywhere. Robinson and Ekeler splitting time in the backfield would be sick.

Comment

• rensoul
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

It depends on how highly rated they have Bijan as a prospect. If they give him a late 1st round grade or 2nd round grade then I can see them passing and going a different direction.

However, if they see him as a rare RB prospect like Saquon was coming out like Todd McShay does
                        https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2...nkings/​

then it's an entirely different conversation. Franchise RB's are rare nowadays but there is a significant advantage for teams that have one. Jacobs basically carried the Raiders offense last year, Henry has been doing it for years, Everyone knows the Browns will primarily just hand the ball to Chubb and still have trouble stopping it.
                        If you pair an elite RB with a big arm Qb, you have the old school formula for the PA vertical offense as well as the ability to wear teams down with the run game.

Those kind of RB's are a clear level above plug and play RB's that are available each year. They are the rare RB's that force a defense to specifically game plan around them or risk giving up 100 yards plus in the game.

The question is whether Bijan is that type of elite talent?
                        I don't know, that's why I'm neutral on this topic, I haven't seen enough of Bijan's play myself to make a decision on the player.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

If you review this team's picks since TT became our GM you will see that he always takes BPA at PON. So far, I don't think he's failed to do that.

I think this could be the year that he goes simply BPA, depending on which players we get signed and released before the draft. However, because of the salary cap, it's likely that the moves between now and the draft will leave at least one PON and I'd expect TT to get someone to fill that hole in the roster in the first round. So, that leaves out everyone's favorite RB. If they lose Pipkins, it may even be another OT. I know that will upset many of you but that's how our GM does the draft.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X