• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Wow, zierlein has johnson falling all the way to #21…right now johnson is the consensus first O-lineman to in this draft, unless zierlein knows something we don’t know about, I can’t imagine so many OT needy teams passing on him…
    Can't imagine he'll fall all the way to 21. Would be hard pressed to pass on him, but he also has a lot of really good players on the board for our pick. Would be a "good" problem to have.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Why does it say "he's a work in progess"?
      I’m not sure, to me his technique appeared to be much cleaner than dawand jones but I only watched him in 3 maybe 4 games this past season against top competition and he erased his guys, never heard his name called…the kid reminds me of slater and zion johnson in that he’s a super smart kid, a fast learner and combines excellent athletic ability with intelligence…if he’s there at #21 you take him and don’t look back, unless he has some kind of issue physically, some medical condition we don’t know about, I can’t imagine why he’d make it out of the top 12-13 players taken…he got his degree in journalism in less than three years at ohio state AND he had articles published while in college…the guy is fluent in mandarin too…he’s an interesting cat for sure…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Conventional wisdom MVPs are QB-LT-Edge. We aren't using 21 on any of those for a depth player. I want BPA with a chance to start. It's hard to make that call without knowing who is cut, traded, allowed to leave.
        My current favs are TE Kincaid, RB Robinson, LB Sanders but that can easily change by draft time. This is an excellent draft for edge, CB
        BPA is BPA, regardless of the depth chart…”with a chance to start” changes everything because it implies you are not taking the BPA regardless of whether or not he’ll play right away…You need to use “BPA at a position of need” and that could easily be a reach pick…

why does everyone want a RB again this year, I’m so confused by that, RB is a next year (2024) luxury move, this team still has too many needs elswhere…our starting RB has lead the NFL in TDs two years in a row with bad play calling and in a predictable offense and we have spiller plus kelley really blossomed last year, why do we need a RB? IMO with the emergence of kelley and spiller’s potential we are in a better position at RB than we have been in years, what am I missing here?

the chargers will not be drafting a LB in the first round as long as staley is coach…this year they will most likely draft Edge or WR and perhaps even OL in round 1 depending on what happens with pipkins…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
          The implosions on this team are so easy to predict every year.

Does anyone here think there's any chance we don't see Foster Sarell manning the right tackle spot next year?

Then what happens when he goes down? *BOOM* That's chargering, hoss.
          Foster sarrelll should be OT#4 going into 2023 behind slater, pipkins, and a day 2 pick…but we can also start salyer at OT in a pinch if needed instead of sarrell...I still think sarrell makes the roster but he shouldn’t see the field next year unless a lot of people got hurt…now if they don’t re-sign pipkins sarrell could be in the mix at some point due to injuries…if that comes to pass, my hope is that he’ll have improved a lot this offseason…

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

BPA is BPA, regardless of the depth chart…”with a chance to start” changes everything because it implies you are not taking the BPA regardless of whether or not he’ll play right away…You need to use “BPA at a position of need” and that could easily be a reach pick…

why does everyone want a RB again this year, I’m so confused by that, RB is a next year (2024) luxury move, this team still has too many needs elswhere…our starting RB has lead the NFL in TDs two years in a row with bad play calling and in a predictable offense and we have spiller plus kelley really blossomed last year, why do we need a RB? IMO with the emergence of kelley and spiller’s potential we are in a better position at RB than we have been in years, what am I missing here?

the chargers will not be drafting a LB in the first round as long as staley is coach…this year they will most likely draft Edge or WR and perhaps even OL in round 1 depending on what happens with pipkins…
            If we were soooo good, why did we come in ranked at 30/32 in the run game?

Possible reasons:
            Blocking by the O line was not so good. This would mean we need Oline guys not a RB.
            Lombardi's run schemes didn't work. If that is the case then Moore should fix the problem without drafting/bringing in a RB.
            We lack a power runner that can get 3-4 yards running inside. In this case you are over rating Spiller/Kelly and bringing in power back will help.
            All of the above.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If we were soooo good, why did we come in ranked at 30/32 in the run game?

Possible reasons:
              Blocking by the O line was not so good. This would mean we need Oline guys not a RB.
              Lombardi's run schemes didn't work. If that is the case then Moore should fix the problem without drafting/bringing in a RB.
              We lack a power runner that can get 3-4 yards running inside. In this case you are over rating Spiller/Kelly and bringing in power back will help.
              All of the above.
              IMO Lombo was the biggest reason, the predictability of his play calling was huge…but even with a busted up injured O-line, when they actually committed to having more balance on offense they had good stretches running the ball…then they would just go back to ignoring the run or misusing it completely…this year the younger offensive linemen will have been together one more year, with one more year of NFL experience and with one more year of understanding how to work together…in addition they’ll have a better scheme to work with and with a better play caller…if they can avoid the injury bug and if pipkins is re-signed and fieler cut, then slater, salyer, linsley, johnson, pipkins should be a top ten offensive line in the NFL next season with the right amount of experience to youth ratio…as much as kelley flashed last year and as effective as he was when he got chances, why did he get such a small work load? Kellen moore is going to feature both kelley and ekeler in a way that lombo never did, plus he’ll sprinkle in some spiller too, that by itself will make the run game more effective…

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

If you look at the run game between the 20's and inside the 10 they looked like 2 completely different rushing attacks. Lombardi had set game plan specific rushing calls specifically for the red zone each week and those seemed to work very well. Eckeler was effective and scored a lot of TDs in the red zone. But the normal vanilla runs he used between the 20's never gained much traction. Coaching appeared to be the biggest issue the Oline just never looked really comfortable with what they were doing. Part of the problem was the receiving corps was beat up all year and with Mike W. off the field teams could play a loaded box.

Comment

• rensoul
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

I think the argument for drafting Bijan if he's there is more about overall value as an elite prospect, he's often regarded as one of the ten best prospects regardless of position by various sources in the media this year.

The positional value at RB is lower than other positions but if a team is drafting at 21, the question becomes do you take the 3rd or 4th best prospect at a higher premium position or take what may be one of the best 10 players in the entire draft on a cost controlled contract for 5 years?

The Chargers current RB room unless Spiller shows something doesn't appear to have a true workhorse that can be an inside/outside threat consistently. There aren't many in the league that can carry the heavy load on an offense consistently, Jacobs did it last season, Chubb, Henry and perhaps Saquon might have that ability. If they take a chance on Bijan in the 1st I think it's because they think he would be an elite talent like the top RB's in the league.
                  Also, another consideration is the Kelley/Eckler contracts are up after 2023.

Not really for or against picking him, but I can understand why they would if he's there at 21.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Our three backs can all run, they can all catch, and they can all pass protect, now they just need to be used properly in combination to show what they weren’t allowed to show last year…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I think the argument for drafting Bijan if he's there is more about overall value as an elite prospect, he's often regarded as one of the ten best prospects regardless of position by various sources in the media this year.

The positional value at RB is lower than other positions but if a team is drafting at 21, the question becomes do you take the 3rd or 4th best prospect at a higher premium position or take what may be one of the best 10 players in the entire draft on a cost controlled contract for 5 years?

The Chargers current RB room unless Spiller shows something doesn't appear to have a true workhorse that can be an inside/outside threat consistently. There aren't many in the league that can lead an offense consistently, Jacobs did it last season, Chubb, Henry and perhaps Saquon might have that ability. If they take a chance on Bijan in the 1st I think it's because they think he would be an elite talent like the top RB's in the league.

Not really for or against picking him, but I can understand why they would if he's there at 21.
                      How have folks come to the determination that spiller can’t play? The kid didn’t even get a look last year, nothing, lombo overworked ekeler and underused both an ascending kelley and spiller…we have three excellent backs, they just need a chance to show what they can do with an OC that will actually feature the run game a bit…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        If you look at the run game between the 20's and inside the 10 they looked like 2 completely different rushing attacks. Lombardi had set game plan specific rushing calls specifically for the red zone each week and those seemed to work very well. Eckeler was effective and scored a lot of TDs in the red zone. But the normal vanilla runs he used between the 20's never gained much traction. Coaching appeared to be the biggest issue the Oline just never looked really comfortable with what they were doing. Part of the problem was the receiving corps was beat up all year and with Mike W. off the field teams could play a loaded box.
                        They don’t need to draft another RB, not when we need edge, wr, and O-line depth so desperately…

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

How have folks come to the determination that spiller can’t play? The kid didn’t even get a look last year, nothing, lombo overworked ekeler and underused both an ascending kelley and spiller…we have three excellent backs, they just need a chance to show what they can do with an OC that will actually feature the run game a bit…
                          I haven't disregarded Spiller. It's just an observation that he couldn't get past 3rd string or even dressed for games at times during his rookie season. Why that is? I guess only the coaching staff knows but either way it doesn't inspire confidence for what they may think of him.

I think Kelley showed improvement but he hasn't really shown he's a top tier player in his past 3 seasons and his contract is up after 2023. Eckler would best be used in RBBC and his contract is also up after 2023.

So whether or not they pick Bijan would likely come down to how good they think Spiller is moving forward.

Comment

Working...
                          X