• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Oh, I watch the games. I think we're just focussing on different things. You can't ignore the injuries. I saw Michael Bandy. I saw Foster Sarell... and Richard Rogers... and Derek Tuzka... and several D-linemen from other people's practice squads. You couldn't miss it. TPB posters on the Game Day Threads needed a roster window up half the time just to tell who was playing where... I watched the GDT for 3 quarters before anyone identified David Moa correctly! Dudes thought it was Fehoko... with magic super-grow hair! LOL! I was watching, alright!

Let's recap, shall we...

KA averaged 7.5 catches per game and 85 yards per game over the last 8 games of the season. BoltJolt already did the extrapolation for you guys... something like 125 receptions and 1300 yards... Kellen Moore isn't strolling into Chargers Park and telling TT, "Yeah, I think we should cut KA and eat his cap hit." LOL! "I can't use a guy who gets open every play... I want to huck the ball down field into split safety coverage." And this Williams guy...? I know he's a size mismatch and all... I've seen the acrobatic catches... I know you invested the #7 pick in him... and re-signed him for $20 million... but, DANG, wasn't he hurt for 3 games last year...? And this Palmer kid... I know his production from year 1 to year 2 increased nearly 2.5 times... but hey, I'm not sure I can make a SB push with just 3 ultra-productive WR's... I might need a 1st round, post pick 21, flopper like Jahan Dotson or Treylon Burks... Oh, those guys were pre-pick 21 last year...? Then give me Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, John Metchie, Tyquan Thorton... What, you say...? These 4 (combined) couldn't equal what KA did in 8 games...?

And your RB only had 18 TD's...? Only 107 receptions...? I'm not sure I can work with that! I need some play-makers, damn it!

Shortest interview in the history of pro sports...

Yeah, I watched the games.

I'll say this again... improved OL play will make this offense explode.
    2 Pro Bowlers missed 20+ games. Rookie guard, playing LT. Rookie LG/LT playing RG. A terrible LG. A mediocre RT.
    Get a quality RT already! Move Salyer to LG. Let Zion learn/improve... We're so close! I bet none of you watch the OL as much as I do during the games.
    So you watch the OL so well but you simply can’t get over your pipkins bias, the guy has arrived and is still improving, mediocre my ass, pipkins was a solid above average performer and he did it with a bad wheel…

the fact that you’re still out on pipkins tells me you aren’t watching O-line closely enough…you talk about adding depth but you want to start yet another rookie at RT again in 2023 when this team is poised to have it’s first veteran, experienced but still young offensive line in over a decade…

all important continuity and improving depth starts with re-signing pipkins and the drafting OL in the top 3 rounds…otherwise we just wasted 4 years developing a guy to let someone else reap the benefit, AND that team could easily be in our division, I’m not looking forward to seeing pipkins in a chief, bronco, or raider uniform, are you?
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

I'm squarely in the keep Pipkins camp. Why would we draft them, train and coach them and then not keep them? That doesn't make any sense. I think about having book-end OT's for the next several years and I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to do that.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        I'm squarely in the keep Pipkins camp. Why would we draft them, train and coach them and then not keep them? That doesn't make any sense. I think about having book-end OT's for the next several years and I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to do that.
        Couldn’t agree more…

I would be surprised if their was a bigger pipkins critic on these boards than myself, I was 100% sure the guy was a wasted pick, AND I didn’t buy into the offseason predictions that he would be better in 2022…

but then I saw what he did in those first few games before he got seriously hurt in cleveland and even more impressive what he did while playing injured…you take all that into a count plus the ridiculously long investment already made, I just can’t imagine how they’d let him walk now, that just seems absolutely ridiculous to me…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          It's not always in our control.

Remember Hunter Henry?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Couldn’t agree more…

I would be surprised if their was a bigger pipkins critic on these boards than myself, I was 100% sure the guy was a wasted pick, AND I didn’t buy into the offseason predictions that he would be better in 2022…

but then I saw what he did in those first few games before he got seriously hurt in cleveland and even more impressive what he did while playing injured…you take all that into a count plus the ridiculously long investment already made, I just can’t imagine how they’d let him walk now, that just seems absolutely ridiculous to me…
            I think the way he has improved and how important a good OLine he - they really need to bring him back. Plus he is only like 26 or 27. Prime years with Zion, Slater and Salyer

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
              Day One...
              • Mar 2019
              • Brentwood, 94513
              • Send PM

Yes, Pipkins is vital at this point, but if wants to get paid, good for him. If the deal is something the team can do, then let’s do it. If they can’t, the makes me seeing the first rounder as oline. Draft whichever guard or tackle rates higher and fits. Salyer can play the role of guard or RT.
              A guard that can pull, is what I’m hoping for. When you see other teams who run well, a guard is always pulling.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the way he has improved and how important a good OLine he - they really need to bring him back. Plus he is only like 26 or 27. Prime years with Zion, Slater and Salyer
                I think he’ll turn 27 before the new season, not 100% sure on that, but very very low miles on those tires and for some reason Offensive Tackles tend to have long careers…especially larger guys like pipkins with massive frames…

his age is in no way any type of issue as far as re-signing is concerned…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

It's not always in our control.

Remember Hunter Henry?
                  Bad self scouting, bad drafting, bad roster management, and bad free agent signings cost us henry…then not cutting our losses sooner with some of those bad free agent signings cost us henry, go back in time, draft better and don’t sign broken down has beens that cost an arm and a leg and do diddly squat exept make it seem like your involved in trying to win, and hunter henry would be on this team still, guys like bulaga, fieler, chris harris jr, and trai turner cost the chargers a small fortune and any chance to keep younger and established home grown players like reshawn jenkins and hunter henry…

stupid personnel moves, what’s the point of drafting these kids, taking all the time to develop them, and then let them excel elsewhere? How can you have a team as bereft of talent as those two final years of lynn’s tenure and then compound it by not self scouting and identifying your guys that you should keep?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The 4 teams in the conference finals all had WRs with YAC ability.

Chargers do not, and it is still a missing element from this offence. Burrow has a guy that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. Herbert does not.

Speed and YAC is still needed to take this offence to its top potential.
                    Burrow only has that one WR who does that, the other two aren't YAC guys. Not anymore than ours anyways.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Burrow only has that one WR who does that, the other two aren't YAC guys. Not anymore than ours anyways.
                      As I said, Burrow "has a guy" who provides YAC Herbert has zero. I am only asking for one to compliment what we have and to take the offence to the next level, put a little fear into defences who really showed no fear of the short passing game this year.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

OTC pegs Pip’s fair market value at +10M yet most of TPB still doesn’t even think he can play. I think TPB is dead wrong personally.

What the entire OL needs are better rush blocking schemes as there is no physical reason why they can’t rush block NFL defenses better. Watching rush plays that imploded, multiple blockers would usually be standing nearby the crime scene, dick in hand - thats design and coaching.
                        I agree that part of the problem is coaching and scheme. But part of that is personnel... including Pipkins. I've seen him miss blocks multiple times. Feiler is part of the problem... he'll be replaced by Salyer once Slater is back at LT. Part of the problem was Zion. But Zion doesn't have an expired contract. $40 million/4 years is not a smart financial decision... especially with contracts coming due soon (Herbert, Slater, ASJ). Certainly you can't re-sign everyone. Would you really sign Pipkins over those 3...?

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Our defense needs help no doubt. But if you want to beat the best teams Herbert's going to need more weapons. I wouldn't go CB in the
                          first. The DBs were the only bright spot on D.
                          How did the secondary look with Ja'Sir Taylor @slot vs the Broncos...? If Russell Wilson can pass for 283 yards and 3 TD's... what do you think will happen vs. Mahommes, Burrows, and Allen...?

Herbert has weapons... he finished 2nd in passing yards. He did it without Allen for 9 games... and MW for 3 games.

Comment

Working...
                          X