• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well it's not impossible, but until we see the results of March 15th we really are just guessing. We are very top heavy so something has to be done there in order to
    clear any reasonable amount of cap space. My gut feeling tells me Van Noy, Tranquill and Guyton will not be signing for league minimum. So we're going to lose
    some of these guys. Pipkins being one of them. He'll be looking to make hay in FA. The average for a vet starting RT would be north of $7M. But sometimes
    the market goes crazy in FA.
    How's that JC Jackson signing working out for the Chargers...How's that keeping KA on the Payroll working out? How's that Joey Bosa Gimpy man working out? Better to feel the pain and just rip the bandaid off for next season and let Bosa and Allen walk for any draft picks with a trade and lighten up the financial load. Chargering is over paying for good talent that's gone bad.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I don’t think there’s a more important FA to sign than Pipkins. Callahan next.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think Pipkins will be back - since RT and having an Oline of Slater, Salyer, Zion anbd Pipkins all young and signed for the next few years - -plus Linsley

Popper always mentions LB is not important in the Staley defense - but that seems like they need better LB play
        Never understood that comment and still don't buy it.
        A great LB makes the defense better. Would the Ravens defense be as good without Ray Lewis? Today's Ravens D is better with Roquan Smith and Chicago's got weaker.

Fred Warner makes SFs better.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Never understood that comment and still don't buy it.
          A great LB makes the defense better. Would the Ravens defense be as good without Ray Lewis? Today's Ravens D is better with Roquan Smith and Chicago's got weaker.

Fred Warner makes SFs better.
          You could make the argument that a great LB is an absolute necessity for a solid defense.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You could make the argument that a great LB is an absolute necessity for a solid defense.
            Tough sell around here though.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Murray round one.
              Tranquil round four.
              The Ansley/Donatell/Wilhoite moves indicate a recognition of needed improvement and coordination in our back Seven.
              Defending the pass and run, that is.
              I would also expect that StaleyD was/is/will be flexible in concepts re the LB position.
              Finally, we play a high percentage of sub packages that include merely one LB.
              Kindly consider all of this in personnel musings, friends.
              Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Not to me. When Fangio was Harbaughs DC 8n SF they had a great defense.

Their LBs were Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis. Staley being a Fangio coaching tree guy, to say he don't value LBs I think is stupid or he didn't say it and Popper mis interpreted his meaning.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not to me. When Fangio was Harbaughs DC 8n SF they had a great defense.

Their LBs were Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis. Staley being a Fangio coaching tree guy, to say he don't value LBs I think is stupid or he didn't say it and Popper mis interpreted his meaning.
                  Specific skill sets is the factor.
                  SF: Willis, Bowman, Greenlaw, Warner.
                  KC: Gay, Bolton currently.
                  These guys that can diagnose, neutralize blocks, and yet cover Slots are unicorn-like.

We'll see what Fangio and Hill put together in MIA.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

How's that JC Jackson signing working out for the Chargers...How's that keeping KA on the Payroll working out? How's that Joey Bosa Gimpy man working out? Better to feel the pain and just rip the bandaid off for next season and let Bosa and Allen walk for any draft picks with a trade and lighten up the financial load. Chargering is over paying for good talent that's gone bad.
                    TT has us in a bad spot. I agree to rip the bandaid off; replace TT, build for 2024 behind JH and some good OL pieces. Start drafting DL pieces. JC, DJ, MW, KA, Bosa, Mack, etc are overpaid. They need to take a significant pay cut or be gone. Should always invest cap $$ in QB, OL, DL. See Kansas City.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Shouldn't you be asking TT that question?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

My spidey sense is that a trend is coming in how to play defense in the NFL.
                        RPO, Play Action, Bootlegs, general QB mobility.
                        (Look no further than Mahomes-Hurts.)

EDGE containment and inside blitzes from LBs...coming soon to a stadium near you.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Keep in mind we'll spend $58M on 2 OLB in 2023 unless they: Take a pay cut, get traded, released or restructured.
                          The problem we have is at Ilb. But I think more specifically the personnel we have better fits the 4/3 scheme. That's
                          because we use Bosa/Mack as DEs and typically rush four, as we are not in our base for most of the time. Of course
                          that would require better Ilbs in general.

Comment

Working...
                          X