• May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Herbert going into his 4th year
    team will pick up 5th year option at like 30m or so

6th year - franchise tag
    unless the Bolts choose to trade him - not going anywhere
    Team can keep him for years. Franchise tagging him isn’t an extra cost when he’d be signing a top-tier contract anyway. He won’t have leverage, his best business decision is to sign a long term deal with LAC to lock in at least 4 years of guaranteed top dollars. It’s just bad business to play on one-year tag deals and risk a career injury that could wipe out future year earnings.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      A few R1 mocks I’ve read have LAC taking

- Darnell Washington - TE - UGA
      - Lucas Van Ness - Edge - Iowa
      - Michael Mayor - TE - Norte Dame
      - Brian Branch - S - ‘Bama
      - Mazi Smith - DT - Michigan
      - Jordon Addison - WR USC
      - Olu Fashano - DT Penn St
      - Anton Harrison - OT Oklahoma
      I am a BPA guy and understand top talent and sure a TE would help Herbert. But I think the biggest need on this team is a difference making WR (combined witha creative OC) and its not even close. I know the argument about how Kelce is that guy for Mahomes. So if its TE - its TE> But I want a WR that can get behind a DB consistently

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

I am a BPA guy and understand top talent and sure a TE would help Herbert. But I think the biggest need on this team is a difference making WR (combined witha creative OC) and it’s not even close. I know the argument about how Kelce is that guy for Mahomes. So if its TE - its TE> But I want a WR that can get behind a DB consistently
        A truly elite TE might be more elusive, take more snaps and be more valuable than a speed WR. I could see them go TE and then look for a speed WR guy later. A Kelce, Waller, etc - those guys burn defenses all day long.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

A truly elite TE might be more elusive, take more snaps and be more valuable than a speed WR. I could see them go TE and then look for a speed WR guy later. A Kelce, Waller, etc - those guys burn defenses all day long.
          Thats fine. But it needs to be addressed. This idea that speed or elusive plays can be found in other ways . - I think it helps to have the talent

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

We’ve had elite TE play on the Chargers with Winslow and Gates. I miss that

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We’ve had elite TE play on the Chargers with Winslow and Gates. I miss that
              Probably the TE that is most like Winslow, Gates, or Waller / Kelce in this draft would be Kincaid from Utah

Washington is a huge target from Georgia and Mayers is good weapon

I think the best TE, maybe player, I saw in college football this year was Brock Bowers. He was a sophomore He is going to be a difference maker

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Probably the TE that is most like Winslow, Gates, or Waller / Kelce in this draft would be Kincaid from Utah

Washington is a huge target from Georgia and Mayers is good weapon

I think the best TE, maybe player, I saw in college football this year was Brock Bowers. He was a sophomore He is going to be a difference maker
                Bowers will have to play one more college season before he's draft-eligible...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

I can see it but it sure shouldn't be Washington. He isn't anything you described.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Yeppers. It helps the running game, Red Zone offense. Kincaid vs Mayer or a value pick later. Hmmm.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

A good TE is often the QB's best friend. Everett is decent but he's not quite the number one target that Herbert needs. Maybe Kincaid or Meyer could be that guy. We sure could use another TE because McKitty isn't much of a receiver and Parham seems like an accident waiting to happen.
                      Maybe we should all start thinking about a TE prospect while we watch college basketball.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

I am not denying that a TE would be a nice idea. I would love a TE like Gates or Winslow (or Kelce). But there are good athletic players in every draft, and you rarely get a Kelce or Gates type of player.

Kincaid is potentially that guy. He is not there yet, but Gates, Winslow and Kelce weren't finished products when they were drafted either. His biggest problems are that he is not great at winning contested passes, and he is probably never going to be much of a blocker. he gets open, but he is not going to be a Kelce or Kyle Pitts. He doesn't have great speed, but the kid can run OK routes and get away from defenders. He knows how to use his body to shield the ball from the defender. Gates was a not super fast TE who could get open and win on option routes, and that is where Kincaid could be a big help. Luke Musgrave and Sam Laporta are also more receivers than blockers, but I don't think either has the upside of being an elite pass catcher. They would be a step up from what we have, but not an elite guy, and neither is a great blocker.

Washinton, Mayer and Brevyn Spann-Ford are more inline TE types who can be Jason Witten types. May never put up the amazing WR like catch numbers, but can be every down player who are the safety blanket type of receiver, move the chains and can help run the ball.

Tucker Kraft is one of the better prospects, but while he has the tools, he is pretty raw and has played at a low level of competition (SD State). He is big and fast and is a pretty good athlete, but has to learn to be an NFL blocker and he knows nothing about the route running. Davis Allen is another guy who is not a great route runner but is an OK blocker, and while he doesn't separate, no TE in college football is nearly as good as he is in contested catches (must be a Clemson thing).

Will Mallory is probably the best TE speed-wise but is not much of a route runner or a blocker. He can do a lot of damage as a backup guy who runs are schemed passes. You can run him across formations, or on seam routes, but he isn't going to do much as a receiver on his own. You can't ask him to be a Gates or Kelce, and go out and get open on their own. Mallory can run away from slow LB, and split a secondary. If you scheme him on boots, he can do a lot of damage and get a lot of yards, but he will never be special.

Everette is an OK #1 TE, but that is mostly because there is a huge shortage of true TE. He is an OK receiver, if somewhat inconsistent, and only an average blocker. He occasionally makes a nice block, and then misses some. He would be best as a 2nd TE in a 2 TE offense. But with the Chargers playing so much 11 personnel, we need a better guy at TE. Parham is an OK backup, although he still needs to finally elevate his game. He feels like he is always a step away from being a good (not great) player. He is our best blocking TE and an OK as a receiver in that he flashes but is not consistent.

McKitty is barely worth a roster spot. He is only a checkdown option as a receiver, and he is not that great a run blocker. The only thing he does OK is pass blocking, and our other TE are better at it than he is.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Observation: It's interesting that the Chargers front office finally see the value in re-signing a RT in Pipkens for $9 million a year but $20 million for a head coach is beyond the pale.

Comment

Working...
                          X