• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Staley loves Floyd and Floyd loves him back. Callahan had his best season in years under Staley. Van Noy resurrected his career under Staley. John Johnson loves Staley and Staley loves him back. I am pretty certain all four of these players would love to play for Staley and the Chargers. But the Chargers can only afford one of them and it will be for one year.

Which one you really want the most?

TG
    According to spotrac, we have $13.4 million in cap space left this year, 12th best in the league: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I think a hint may be that we have 88 players under contract leaving me to guess we may be looking to add a couple of vets with that money.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the Chargers can afford Callahan and Swaim if they are the league minimum or the league minimum plus a small signing bonus

As for Floyd or JJ3 - I think I would go with Floyd - starts up front hitting the QB.
      I agree about QB pressure but pressure and coverage work hand in glove, both ways. Each makes the other better.
      I think we're better prepared at pass rush than coverage

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

According to spotrac, we have $13.4 million in cap space left this year, 12th best in the league: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I think a hint may be that we have 88 players under contract leaving me to guess we may be looking to add a couple of vets with that money.
        The Chargers signed all their draft picks so hopefully Spotrac is up to date with that. Practice Squad will be about $2m and Telesco needs say $4m for the season fund

So that leaves about $6m - so that could be two players with a cap hit of $3-3.5m

To SonoraJims point about pass rush or coverage - he is right. Floyd or JJ3 - maybe both if they are willing to each take $3m

I will say this - I think if its JJ3, makes sense. If its Floyd, makes sense. If its Zeke Elliott or Dalvin Cook - doesn't make sense

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I've read we are down to 5m, not 13. I wonder what the truth is? If we're down to $5m, we really can't sign anyone now because you need that money for replacing injured players in mid-season.

I really wish they could bring Callahan back.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I've read we are down to 5m, not 13. I wonder what the truth is? If we're down to $5m, we really can't sign anyone now because you need that money for replacing injured players in mid-season.

I really wish they could bring Callahan back.
            Over the cap says we have $12.7 million left: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Comment

• Charge!
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

good point....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Over the cap says we have $12.7 million left: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space
                I just checked OTC - and they are up to date except for the second rounder - Tuli. And his net to the cap should be about $500k-$700k. So going with $12m
                Practice Squad: $2m
                InSeason Fund: $4m
                Top 53: 2 players at 870k

So by the above, just under $5m

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just checked OTC - and they are up to date except for the second rounder - Tuli. And his net to the cap should be about $500k-$700k. So going with $12m
                  Practice Squad: $2m
                  InSeason Fund: $4m
                  Top 53: 2 players at 870k

So by the above, just under $5m
                  That sounds like enough to bring back Callahan and Van Noy. I'd feel like we're ready for war if we bring both of them back.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

That sounds like enough to bring back Callahan and Van Noy. I'd feel like we're ready for war if we bring both of them back.
                    Really want to see this too.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I think it will be Floyd and Callahan

KVN also works

Bolt up!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I’m less sure of our Safety group than or Edge rushers, but then again Edge is a more important position for overall Defense pressure and aggression.

Also less sure of our CBs to get to dime package with any depth?

Callahan was fantastic last year, I’d welcome him asap. JJ vs Floyd - tough for me to call which is the priority I don’t know what the coaches know about the Safety room. Do we all think Rumph just can’t do it and won’t take another step up this year? Because Gilman is Gilman, and we haven’t seen Woods do anything well yet based only on his very limited rookie tape.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          I’m less sure of our Safety group than or Edge rushers, but then again Edge is a more important position for overall Defense pressure and aggression.

Also less sure of our CBs to get to dime package with any depth?

Callahan was fantastic last year, I’d welcome him asap. JJ vs Floyd - tough for me to call which is the priority I don’t know what the coaches know about the Safety room. Do we all think Rumph just can’t do it and won’t take another step up this year? Because Gilman is Gilman, and we haven’t seen Woods do anything well yet based only on his very limited rookie tape.
                          IMO, the situation is ripe for someone to step up, and past Alohi Gilman. He's entering the final year of his rookie contract, and frankly isn't likely to be back.

Comment

Working...
                          X