• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How do we go 10-7 if we are outcoached by MOST teams and half of our top players were on IR?
    Weak schedule, injured / backup QB's (3 gimmee games - Tenn, Indy, Rams), and our guys are good. We should have had a better record last year with the way the schedule played out, even with all our injuries. Lombardi's lack of imagination / creativity killed us (Staley gets to share in this for allowing it to happen), and Brandon fell on his face in the clutch . . . . . . . . . one is gone, and the other (hopefully) has at least learned what NOT to do . . . . .

As long as the injuries don't approach last year's level, AND Herbert stays healthy, the only thing holding the team back will be coaching. They'll get a chance to beat a good team right off the bat with Miami, so - we'll see . . . . . . . .

I'm still skeptical, until they show me . . . . . . . . . . . I've seen this movie before

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

In tight games the difference is often (not always) coaching, ie; identification of a foes weaknesses / tendencies and designing plays to take advantage of them (Reid / Eagles SB), player preparation during the week (goes to execution), and in game decisions / adjustments (or lack thereof).

IMO we're outmatched in the coaching department vs most teams, certainly against KC. Plan on more close losses unless Staley and his staff can elevate their game . . . . . . . . .
      We were outmatched vs Reid's playcalling.in 2 of 4 '2023 vs Moore TBD. Herb vs Homes TBD., OL TBD Receivers-Chargers

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Weak schedule, injured / backup QB's (3 gimmee games - Tenn, Indy, Rams),
        and our guys are good. We should have had a better record last year with the way the schedule played out, even with all our injuries. Lombardi's lack of imagination / creativity killed us (Staley gets to share in this for allowing it to happen), and Brandon fell on his face in the clutch . . . . . . . . . one is gone, and the other (hopefully) has at least learned what NOT to do . . . . .

As long as the injuries don't approach last year's level, AND Herbert stays healthy, the only thing holding the team back will be coaching. They'll get a chance to beat a good team right off the bat with Miami, so - we'll see . . . . . . . .

I'm still skeptical, until they show me . . . . . . . . . . . I've seen this movie before
        I hate it when other people make excuses!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I hate it when other people make excuses!
          Let's just say it's... "Put up, or SHUT up!" time for the Chargers.

If Staley's vision is prescient, everything should come together *THIS* season.

If Staley is "just another guy who had a good idea, but it didn't work out"? We also find THAT out this season.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We were outmatched vs Reid's playcalling.in 2 of 4 '2023 vs Moore TBD. Herb vs Homes TBD., OL TBD Receivers-Chargers
            IMO, Reid is underrated.

Whomever was the GM in Green Bay when Reid was there as Favre's OC said, "The biggest mistake I made, was not realizing how ready Andy Reid was to become a head coach."

Andy went on to be the HC in Philadelphia.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Doug Peterson says hello . . . . . . . . .
              Herbert waves back: we win that first game walking away w/o that pic 6. One unlucky play…

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If you meant to say we were outcoached by a subset of some select group of teams, you should probably say that. You say we got outcoached by MOST teams, thats at least 9 in a 17 game schedule. We were 10-7, not 7-10.
                Just look at the facts and who we lost to. Reid x2x Pedersen x2, Shanahan, Pete Carroll. Didn’t beat anybody with a successful HC except the 2 I mentioned.

then look at the coaches of the teams we beat. 4 have been fired and others include Joshy, McDaniels Browns guy, etc.

it’s not an endorsement of Staley

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Just look at the facts and who we lost to. Reid x2x Pedersen x2, Shanahan, Pete Carroll. Didn’t beat anybody with a successful HC except the 2 I mentioned.

then look at the coaches of the teams we beat. 4 have been fired and others include Joshy, McDaniels Browns guy, etc.

it’s not an endorsement of Staley
                  Strangely enough we only beat 1 team that finished with a winning record all year in 22. I wonder if there's a correlation . . . . . . . . . . ?

We can debate Staley's abilities all day (and have). What's NOT debatable is this is make it or break it year for him (and TT). No more excuses (sorry Jim!).

Comment

• PackerNation
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

IMO, Reid is underrated.

Whomever was the GM in Green Bay when Reid was there as Favre's OC said, "The biggest mistake I made, was not realizing how ready Andy Reid was to become a head coach."

Andy went on to be the HC in Philadelphia.
                    Andy Reid was never OC in Green Bay. Andy was OL Assistant and TE coach under Holmgren. Andy was promoted to QB coach and Assistant Head Coach for his last couple years in Green Bay.

Ron Wolf said his biggest regret was not hiring Andy as head coach in 1999 when Holmgren went to the Seahawks. Ron Wolf was a great GM and if that was his biggest regret, he did pretty well. Love Ron, a lot of GMs would have never even admitted a mistake.

Love this pic of Holmgren & Ron Wolf after the Super Bowl victory in January of 1997. Mike Holmgren is getting choked up and Ron is Mr. Steady as always. Nothing ever rattled that man.
                    wpid-20150129__ron-wolf-mike-holmgren.jpg

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Strangely enough we only beat 1 team that finished with a winning record all year in 22. I wonder if there's a correlation . . . . . . . . . . ?

We can debate Staley's abilities all day (and have). What's NOT debatable is this is make it or break it year for him (and TT). No more excuses (sorry Jim!).
                      If we beat Miami week 1,which does that count as since both of us will he 0-0?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by PackerNation View Post

Andy Reid was never OC in Green Bay. Andy was OL Assistant and TE coach under Holmgren. Andy was promoted to QB coach and Assistant Head Coach for his last couple years in Green Bay.

Ron Wolf said his biggest regret was not hiring Andy as head coach in 1999 when Holmgren went to the Seahawks. Ron Wolf was a great GM and if that was his biggest regret, he did pretty well. Love Ron, a lot of GMs would have never even admitted a mistake.

Love this pic of Holmgren & Ron Wolf after the Super Bowl victory in January of 1997. Mike Holmgren is getting choked up and Ron is Mr. Steady as always. Nothing ever rattled that man.
                        wpid-20150129__ron-wolf-mike-holmgren.jpg
                        Ron Wolf is a pariah around here. He brought us Mike McCoy

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

If we beat Miami week 1,which does that count as since both of us will he 0-0?
                          We'll have to wait for the end of the season to answer that one . . . . . . , BUT it will count as a win!

Comment

Working...
                          X