Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I think DD will be a star. Put the ball in his hands and watch him go.
    He has the potential to be a star, if coaching uses him such a way that maximizes his strengths and keeps him out of situations where his weaknesses can be exposed.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

One thing that DD does that really impressed me is the way he initially shifted to his left, then slowed down to see where there's room, then that sudden jump cut to his right to get away from the pack, then turning on the jets to open field...How many times have we seen most of our returners just mindlessly plow into the pack instead of at least slowing down a bit to get a good look at the coverage? Wow, this kid's vision, wiggle, burst, AND top end speed are off the charts! Sorry to see DeAndre Carter go, but we've got a very nice replacement with DD...(Interesting trivia: Both Carter and Dotson attended Sacramento State)...
      (And I don't really like that Carter is now with the Raiders...oh, well...)
      DD knew what he was doing. Like he was a pro showing a bunch of kids up. No opponent wants to see that. I see a game within a game coming.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post

That TD punt return looked so easy for Davis.That was my first impression. It sure looks like he can keep doing that in any game. No wasted movement in that big return that I could see. A very confident young man.
        Yea...its just one return...but it was a work of art...5 or 6 seperate moves thru approaching players, vs exploiting a vacant lane or busted coverage...very promising
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Yea...its just one return...but it was a work of art...5 or 6 seperate moves thru approaching players, vs exploiting a vacant lane or busted coverage...very promising
          He was fearless running through the holes. No hesitation whatsoever.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post
            hat TD punt return looked so easy for Davis. That was my first impression. It sure looks like he can keep doing that in any game. No wasted movement in that big return that I could see. A very confident young man.
            I saw this too. He didn't benefit from an opposing player making a mistake - that I could see - he just plotted a course through the coverage and weaved past everybody until he was in the clear on the sideline and then he kicked into an extra gear to ensure nobody was going to catch him. He looked even faster than his Combine 40 time of 4.36.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
              Let's do this!
              • Aug 2022
              • Raleigh N. Carolina
              • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

So a good returner does it on EVERY punt return.

Looks like there has never been a good return man according to your metrics in the history of the NFL.
              My point is it was 1 return against a horrible team, you guys are already giving him the Bandy treatment.

Was it awesome? Yes.

But everything in context man.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

My point is it was 1 return against a horrible team, you guys are already giving him the Bandy treatment.

Was it awesome? Yes.

But everything in context man.
                LOL...The "Bandy Treatment"...we may be suffering from "Bandyitis," but we'd like to "suffer" some more of dat the next two games...and THEN the rest of the season...

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

LOL...The "Bandy Treatment"...we may be suffering from "Bandyitis," but we'd like to "suffer" some more of dat the next two games...and THEN the rest of the season...
                  I don't ever remember Bandy doing anything that comes close to the awesomeness DD displayed on that punt return. Bandy played his college ball for the USD Toreros.

DD had 6 TD kick returns in his college career playing against Big 12 competition. I don't think his punt return TD in his first preseason game is a fluke, do you?

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't ever remember Bandy doing anything that comes close to the awesomeness DD displayed on that punt return. Bandy played his college ball for the USD Toreros.

DD had 6 TD kick returns in his college career playing against Big 12 competition. I don't think his punt return TD in his first preseason game is a fluke, do you?
                    No fluke...DD was the leading college returner in the nation...'nuff said...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

There were quite a few here that were saying that he was out as a WR and a back up on punt returns and might not make the team. Looks that that was fantasy football. DD is the real deal. We have not had a returner like that in a long, long time. It will be nice to see in the regular season.
                      I didn't see anyone say that. We all knew he would be our return man. That's why they drafted him.

Probably won't get many snaps at WR when the bell rings.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If they replace him with Dotson, he will count $752k against the cap so in that case we'd free up $188k
                        It doesn't work that way, the chargers can't decide who counts against the top 51, the salaries are slotted automatically in the formula by descending value, from studying OTC, the salaries around that 51 area are all in the 870K range like I explained in the previous post...either way rountree's release is not much of a salary cap move, it was strictly about getting a larger sample of Dotson in the last two preseason games...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t see how cutting a min-salary player can save anything. If you did math to find 70k, ok but effectively there is no cap purpose to this move. This is why he was cut, he’s the same guy that wasn’t good enough in 2021 and 2022:

image.png​
                          LOL, the other guy said we were going to save 940K on the cap and I was explaining to him that wasn't really the case, yes, this was not a salary cap move, I think me saying that it would only potentially net 70k on the cap was me illustrating that point, unless you feel I was claiming that 70k was a huge amount in cap savings?
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X