Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    I'm expecting the Chargers' OL to be one of the ten best this season, and going forward.

One of the best things about this unit is that it is relatively young. Outside of Corey Linsley, who is 32, the elder statesman is Pipkins, who will be 27 next month. Slater turned 24 in March. Zion Johnson will turn 24 in Nov. Salyer turned 23 a few weeks ago.

OL play at an elite level longer into their careers than any position besides, perhaps, QB. Technique and skill prevails over youth and raw athletic ability on the OL. That is why so many of the league's top OL are over 30 veteran elder statesmen. About half of the OL selected to the last Pro Bowl are over 30, three of them are over 35.

The Chargers will need to start thinking replacing Linsley soon, but the rest of the pieces are in place to have one of the league's better OL protecting Herbert for a long time, assuming the franchise can afford to retain everyone.
    You know what they say about counting your chickens before they hatch. We haven't seen this OL yet. Reports I read about yesterday's practice make me wonder about our Guards.

I'll hope for the best but I'll reserve my judgment until I actually see them play.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You know what they say about counting your chickens before they hatch. We haven't seen this OL yet. Reports I read about yesterday's practice make me wonder about our Guards.

I'll hope for the best but I'll reserve my judgment until I actually see them play.
      If you can share or link, i'd love to see ...
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

If you can share or link, i'd love to see ...
        It was on You Tube , that's all I remember. If I see it pop up again I'll post the link.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

It was on You Tube , that's all I remember. If I see it pop up again I'll post the link.

CORRECTION - IT WAS IN AN ARTICLE IN THE ATHLETIC

In the Chargers' first unscripted session of camp, Justin Herbert led the offense to the red zone but was intercepted by Alohi Gilman.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I've been banging the table for a decent vet FA C-G...I don't want to see Clapp in there in case Lindsley gets hurt; and is Jaimes finally gonna be ready to at least be a decent backup? Agree, too many question marks on our O-line depth...

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Dan Orlovsky:

Kellen Moore will unlock Justin Herbert.

The Chargers' roster is as good as there is in the NFL.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I've been banging the table for a decent vet FA C-G...I don't want to see Clapp in there in case Lindsley gets hurt; and is Jaimes finally gonna be ready to at least be a decent backup? Agree, too many question marks on our O-line depth...
                True of every team, not like there’s a plethora of awesome starting centers in the league, much less backups.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I think the O/U line for TT signings is around zero right now. We’ll see if he brings in any late cut vet. Of course, an injury or two would change that line but, knock on wood, lets hope none occur
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

From Chargers.com roster,
                    C Branch, Linsley, Weaver, Clapp-
                    G/T Jaimes, Pleasants, Zion
                    OL McFadden, Melsop, Salyer-
                    T Bailey, Pip, Sarell, Slater, Trainer.

There are always questions. We have some depth to choose from.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

CORRECTION - IT WAS IN AN ARTICLE IN THE ATHLETIC

https://theathletic.com/4740722/2023...d-live-period/
                        For non-subscribers: What was the bad things said about our OGs?

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

For non-subscribers: What was the bad things said about our OGs?
                          OL vs. DL 1-on-1s

On Tuesday, I moved over to the trenches for the one-on-one period to get a look at the offensive linemen against the defensive linemen and edge rushers in pass rush/pass blocking drills.

Some highlights …

• Slater matched up with Mack on two reps. On the first, Mack attempted a speed rush to the outside. Slater moved well to guide Mack wide and steer him clear of the quarterback. On the second, Mack came with a bull rush. He forced Slater back on the initial push. But Slater reset his anchor and stopped Mack’s progress. Slater’s ability to reestablish his anchor after losing his balance is, to me, the most impressive part of his game. He makes it look easy, even against some of the best pass rushers in football.

Here is Slater on facing off with Mack and Joey Bosa: “Joey and Khalil, they’re so smart in the way they play off of O-linemen. Every training camp it’s like, if you have just one little mistake in your technique here, they’re going to find a way to exploit that. They really keep you honest. The margin for error is so small, I think it really teaches you quickly what you’re doing wrong and what you need to fix.”

• Bosa dominated the first rep of the period against Foster Sarell, who was at right tackle with the starting unit in place of the injured Trey Pipkins III. Bosa cut quickly to the inside and got to the quarterback virtually untouched. Sarell responded, though, in his second rep against Bosa, who tried to bend to the outside. Sarell showed good reactions and quickness, and similar to Slater on his first rep against Mack, guided Bosa wide.

Jamaree Salyer, playing at right guard, was extremely stout in his two reps. His best attribute might be his strength, and that showed in this period. He stood up Matlock on the first rep. On the second rep, he did not relinquish an inch to Terrance Lang, another rookie defensive lineman.

Zion Johnson, at left guard, took all three of his reps against Sebastian Joseph-Day. Johnson lost the first two reps. On the first, Joseph-Day got free on a spin move. On the second, he caught Johnson with his weight forward and ripped through to the inside. Johnson responded on the third rep, anchoring down to stand up Joseph-Day.

• Rookie edge rusher Tuli Tuipulotu got one rep, against Zack Bailey, who has been playing right tackle with the second team while Pipkins has been out. Tuipulotu showed a good get-off, beating Bailey off the snap. But Bailey recovered and was able to steer the rookie wide to win the rep.

Comment

Working...
                          X