• Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

In the late '80s. I had the privilege of having several conversations with Sid, and his adorable wife, Esther. Sid (and Esther) would attend Charger games, and sit in the pressbox. I was covering games for Chargers Football Weekly, so encountered them there. So down to earth, both of them. Esther considered it her mission to help women understand football, so they could enjoy the game with their men.
    I loved CFW. It was THE pace to get Charger's news for me. I used to pick it up at Tio Leo's every week.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I loved CFW. It was THE pace to get Charger's news for me. I used to pick it up at Tio Leo's every week.
      The Tio Leo's on Mira Mesa Boulevard? Too funny! They were a long-time ad-buying sponsor.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post

To add to that, they've had five DL twice and 6 DL once in the last three seasons in their initial 53-man roster:

2020: Linval Joseph, Jerry Tillery, Justin Jones, Cortez Broughton, Damion Square (5)

2021: Linval Joseph, Jerry Tillery, Justin Jones, Forrest Merrill, Christian Covington (5)

2022: Austin Johnson, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Jerry Tillery, Otito Ogbonnia, Morgan Fox, Breiden Fehoko (6)

​
        You've been paying attention.
        Getting the right balance of depth where it's needed is a judgement call and needs to be done without losing a good player on waivers. Tough job. Best wishes to Staley & Moore.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

The Tio Leo's on Mira Mesa Boulevard? Too funny! They were a long-time ad-buying sponsor.
          The one on Morena Blvd, maybe the one on Mission Gorge too. I still go to Tio Leos. The best salsa in San Diego.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I thought there was something cool about C.J. Okoye being assigned the number 67, because it reminds me of Ed White, who was one of my favorite Chargers in the Fouts Era.

I found myself wondering "Who else would remember Ed White?!?", and Roo was the first person who came to mind.

White was a Nose Guard at Cal, and drafted by the Vikings-- who converted him to O-line-- in the 2nd round of the 1969 draft. White had played NINE seasons for the Vikings when the Chargers acquired him, and he played EIGHT seasons for the Bolts, from '78 through '85.

Following his retirement, Ed was the Chargers' O-line coach for several years.

It would be awesome to see Okoye become the best #67 the Chargers have had since Ed White.
            Not only do I remember Ed White... I had the fortune of knowing Ed White and his family.
            Shortly after the Chargers traded for him, Ed moved to Julian... where I grew up. Ed and my father became good friends and often played racketball together. That big guy could move! Once, I got in front of one of his returns... and got hit in the back! I had a welt for 2 weeks! I also played handball with him several times. His son (Tim) and I went to high school together. He had a daughter (Amy) who was a very good basketball player. Unfortunately, she passed away after a freak accident after graduating from Julian HS. RIP.

Ed still lives in Julian and passes much of his time in his art studio. He is a gem of a person! His son coaches football in Borrego Springs IIRC.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
              Not only do I remember Ed White... I had the fortune of knowing Ed White and his family.
              Shortly after the Chargers traded for him, Ed moved to Julian... where I grew up. Ed and my father became good friends and often played racketball together. That big guy could move! Once, I got in front of one of his returns... and got hit in the back! I had a welt for 2 weeks! I also played handball with him several times. His son (Tim) and I went to high school together. He had a daughter (Amy) who was a very good basketball player. Unfortunately, she passed away after a freak accident after graduating from Julian HS. RIP.

Ed still lives in Julian and passes much of his time in his art studio. He is a gem of a person! His son coaches football in Borrego Springs IIRC

Great story, thanks! I always feel fortumate when a player from the 70s is still with us.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Agreed. I subscribed to it. For a couple of years, I was shipped off to company HQ in NJ and getting Charger news was nearly impossible so I really enjoyed it while I was there.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Ed still lives in Julian and passes much of his time in his art studio. He is a gem of a person! His son coaches football in Borrego Springs IIRC.
                  Burt Grossman had a funny story about Ed White, it was in an old Sports Illustrated article.

Burt on 320-pound tight end coach Ed White: "The other day Big Ed's in his tight end meeting, and he's all excited and writing plays on the blackboard. He starts from the bottom, and he's going up the board, and he gets to the top, steps back to show his guys what he's done, and the whole bottom has been erased by his gut.... I'd say the guy's no heavier than the Valdez tanker."

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                    French Speaking Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Québec city
                    • Send PM

Is this Ed too tall White ?

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

In the late '80s. I had the privilege of having several conversations with Sid, and his adorable wife, Esther. Sid (and Esther) would attend Charger games, and sit in the pressbox. I was covering games for Chargers Football Weekly, so encountered them there. So down to earth, both of them. Esther considered it her mission to help women understand football, so they could enjoy the game with their men.
                      Wow good memories. I grew up with Sid and Esther’s granddaughter. My dad was also a colleague of Sid’s son in law. My dad really loved Sid Gilman. He was so thrilled to be able to hang around him. I was just a little kid but I don’t think I ever saw my Dad revere anyone the way he did Sid Gilman. Football man

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Wow good memories. I grew up with Sid and Esther’s granddaughter. My dad was also a colleague of Sid’s son in law. My dad really loved Sid Gilman. He was so thrilled to be able to hang around him. I was just a little kid but I don’t think I ever saw my Dad revere anyone the way he did Sid Gilman. Football man
                        I can attest-- when you were in the presence of Sid Gillman, you knew you were in the presence of a really good human being. I was a relative nobody, but he spoke with me, and dealt with me, in a way that felt like he was my uncle.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                          Is this Ed too tall White ?
                          I'm afraid it was more like Ed "Too Fat" White. (No disrespect intended.)

Comment

Working...
                          X