• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The idea that what happened last year will not affect anything that happens this year. That’s not a fact
    Schedule is a fact based on last year at least in part.
    If you're referring to the the Chargers coaching and player changes, that's a fact that has happened
    I agree that last year caused those changes which will impact this year's W-L for a fact.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

I’m good with someone starting the thread now. It’s next game up.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

The quotes are facts. The rest aren’t facts. Hopefully, they learn from some of those losses and those lessons do affect them this year
        I'm hoping they move forward... forget the past. There wasn't much to learn there. Learn the new Moore concepts. Spread the defense, read the defense, and attack. Vertically, horizontally. Motion, shifts, formations... it's all new.

On defense... know you have an experienced green dot. Know this new player will read quickly, get you lined up quickly, and play your assignment. All 11 working together, communicating, trusting the others to do their jobs... and playing fast. There was very little of that last year. Anything you thought you learned last year... forget about it.

Learn from your past... don't dwell there. The professionals have moved on many moons ago. I suspect their lessons were learned well before the season ended. Major decisions happened very quickly.

Hirings and firings are history. Free agency is long gone. The draft was months ago. TC passed without much notice.
        The personnel is different. The play design is different... for anyone who noticed.
        Time to catch up... it makes for better discussions.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm hoping they move forward... forget the past. There wasn't much to learn there. Learn the new Moore concepts. Spread the defense, read the defense, and attack. Vertically, horizontally. Motion, shifts, formations... it's all new.

On defense... know you have an experienced green dot. Know this new player will read quickly, get you lined up quickly, and play your assignment. All 11 working together, communicating, trusting the others to do their jobs... and playing fast. There was very little of that last year. Anything you thought you learned last year... forget about it.

Learn from your past... don't dwell there. The professionals have moved on many moons ago. I suspect their lessons were learned well before the season ended. Major decisions happened very quickly.

Hirings and firings are history. Free agency is long gone. The draft was months ago. TC passed without much notice.
          The personnel is different. The play design is different... for anyone who noticed.
          Oh we’re all caught up.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Let us hope that they do NOT forget the past . . . . . . . . . . 'those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it' may be an old (very old) cliché, but it's also true.

Past actions or behaviors give us a read or expectation of what future performance could / may be. The entire world works on this basis. The raise you got was for what you've done in the past and is an indicator of future performance. Politicians are elected (and discarded) due to their past actions. The entire wagering and insurance industry is built on the effects past actions could have on the future, Herbert's new contract is a result of his past actions as an indicator of future performance - I could go on and on, literally forever.

It's beyond simplistic to claim that the past has no effect, particularly when the parties involved don't make the effort to identify and solve the issues . . . . . . . . . . . so let's hope the team has thought long and hard about the failures of the past, and have come up with ways to avoid the same types of failures in the future.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Velo chomping at the bit to talk Miami
              You guessed it.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I think that's reasonable, I haven't seen if the line for the game is out, which is usually the trigger for the game week thread. If something comes up about the Dolphins, we still have the NFL Team thread for that.
                I can wait. I do think the pregame thread is started too early we will exhaust the subject early. I think a week before is good.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I can wait. I do think the pregame thread is started too early we will exhaust the subject early. I think a week before is good.
                  When have we ever exhausted a subject here?
                  Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Let us hope that they do NOT forget the past . . . . . . . . . . 'those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it' may be an old (very old) cliché, but it's also true.

Past actions or behaviors give us a read or expectation of what future performance could / may be. The entire world works on this basis. The raise you got was for what you've done in the past and is an indicator of future performance. Politicians are elected (and discarded) due to their past actions. The entire wagering and insurance industry is built on the effects past actions could have on the future, Herbert's new contract is a result of his past actions as an indicator of future performance - I could go on and on, literally forever.

It's beyond simplistic to claim that the past has no effect, particularly when the parties involved don't make the effort to identify and solve the issues . . . . . . . . . . . so let's hope the team has thought long and hard about the failures of the past, and have come up with ways to avoid the same types of failures in the future.
                    As long as we don't dwell in the past... and this cliche mostly relates to the study of history (not football).
                    To move forward, we also have to understand the present. The future holds many possibilities... if we can access the resources (many of them new) now available to us.

Here's an example... many of the new schemes and formations come from the college game. This has always been true. From the 3-4 defense to the modern spread (Air Raid) offense.

Brandon Staley has brought the Fangio-style defense to LAC and has tweaked it to his own liking. It's innovative... it's continually evolving. The personnel needed is very different from 4-3 defenses. The personnel on defense has seen enormous change. Yet many posters continue to claim that we were "stupid to let player A, B, C go"... look how well they've done for team A, B, C... without understanding that a paradigm shift occured when Staley was brought in. They don't understand the system... and that there is no looking back (no learning to be had) from the old system.

And the same ideas apply to Kellen Moore. There was a recent paradigm shift... yet people are still harping on the past scheme. It's gone. There is nothing to be learned from the old scheme. The language is different, the blocking is different. The reads are different. The running lanes are different. The depth of pass patterns is different. Tendencies in the redzone will be different. I could go on and on.

The other major factor to last year's whoas were the injuries. Are you suggesting that players can overcome injuries by looking to the past...?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Oh we’re all caught up.
                      Debatable.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I think that's reasonable, I haven't seen if the line for the game is out, which is usually the trigger for the game week thread. If something comes up about the Dolphins, we still have the NFL Team thread for that.
                        Chargers are favored by 3 over the Dolphins.

Discuss.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Chargers are favored by 3 over the Dolphins.

Discuss.
                          makes sense, the dolphins are dealing with big player injury, they've lost two All-pro players before the season has even started...
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X