• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

How many of you "fix the offense" guys need to keep reading shit like this before you realize it's the defense that needs fixing?

Staley just isn't the guy to do it.
    Put me in the fix both camp.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Very interesting...Popper said that during that 4-game win stretch last season, some of the Bolt D players told him, "we simplified the defense." So, apparently this confirms what many of us have said--that Staley is so intent on disguising his D, that it's too confusing to our own players themselves...there has to be a happy medium there...do SOME disguising, but keep assignments clear so the players aren't so out of position they give up all those big chunk plays...hard to believe Staley hasn't figured all this out by now...
      Back in the late 80's early 90's we had a D coordinator named Lynn. He had this super intricate defense that had multiple options for each position that required each player to make the same read and react on the same way. When Lynn explained it you were like wow this is unstoppable but in reality if a couple of players read it wrong or were slow to react the entire D crumbled. Staley reminds me of Lynn in way too many ways. After Lynn was let go, the Chargers brought in Arnsbarger. Most of the same players flourished then. It was coaching and the system. No way all these players started sucking right at the same time, there is a common denominator and its name is Staley (his overly complicated system).

Comment

• SuperCharged
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Utah
        • Midnight Toker
        • Send PM

Very interesting...Popper said that during that 4-game win stretch last season, some of the Bolt D players told him, "we simplified the defense." So, apparently this confirms what many of us have said--that Staley is so intent on disguising his D, that it's too confusing to our own players themselves...there has to be a happy medium there...do SOME disguising, but keep assignments clear so the players aren't so out of position they give up all those big chunk plays...hard to believe Staley hasn't figured all this out by now...
        I really have been patient and stayed in the "wait'n see" camp. But I am really really getting those Lynn vibes all of the sudden.

On the positive side every player I called out after Miami responded. I will happily eat crow WITH A WIN! Eating crow in a loss is way worse.

Comment

• rensoul
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Back in the late 80's early 90's we had a D coordinator named Lynn. He had this super intricate defense that had multiple options for each position that required each player to make the same read and react on the same way. When Lynn explained it you were like wow this is unstoppable but in reality if a couple of players read it wrong or were slow to react the entire D crumbled. Staley reminds me of Lynn in way too many ways. After Lynn was let go, the Chargers brought in Arnsbarger. Most of the same players flourished then. It was coaching and the system. No way all these players started sucking right at the same time, there is a common denominator and its name is Staley (his overly complicated system).
          Looking at this roster there is no way the defense should be this terrible.

I agree that it's likely that just simplifying everything to allow players to play fast and not overthink would likely help a lot.

Not saying Bradley should be here but even just using old Seattle Cover 1/3 based schemes and letting players play fast would probably look a lot different out there.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I heard Popper say something less ominous. It became apparent what our DBs were good at. Roles were more defined. Injuries played a role.

This year, the issue is player performance, coaching and very poor results.

What was ominous about what Popper said is that Staley will pretty much live and die by his system.

It will always be about results. Player performance will decide Staley's fate.

Our DBs and our QB must come through.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I really have been patient and stayed in the "wait'n see" camp. But I am really really getting those Lynn vibes all of the sudden.

On the positive side every player I called out after Miami responded. I will happily eat crow WITH A WIN! Eating crow in a loss is way worse.
              Last year I thought that if we got run D and run O about NFL avg, we would win a lot of games. We did both and the scoring D crashed and the O goes 3&out when they have a chance to win. I'm done making suggestions.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What was ominous about what Popper said is that Staley will pretty much live and die by his system.
                Yet another sign that he's not suitable to be a Head Coach. Just stubbornly keep doing what you're doing, even though it hasn't worked for 3 years. Brilliant.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Yet another sign that he's not suitable to be a Head Coach. Just stubbornly keep doing what you're doing, even though it hasn't worked for 3 years. Brilliant.
                  That was my take. Its not work but he keeps trying to make "my system" work. Thats bad coaching. To keep doing the same thing over and over and expect different results is arrogant and quite frankly, the opposite of good coaching. I remember the year Tebow mania took over Denver and McCoy talked about it. Paraphrasing, with Tebow they had to scrap whatever they were doing and basically mid-season, start from scratch

I think Staley is a good guy, smart guy. I think he is in over his head and his arrogance won't let him adapt

The defense sucks! It sucks! So running out that same scheme that gives up 30 yard pass plays is stupid

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I heard Popper say something less ominous. It became apparent what our DBs were good at. Roles were more defined. Injuries played a role.

This year, the issue is player performance, coaching and very poor results.

It will always be about results. Player performance will decide Staley's fate.

Our DBs and our QB must come through.
                    Stubborn Staley. We all have to be willing to make changes when things aren’t working. Staley is no different. The seat is hot and only getting hotter as the week goes on and more x/Twitter posters find more mind numbing stats to illustrate the utter failure of Staley’s defense.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Stubborn Staley. We all have to be willing to make changes when things aren’t working. Staley is no different. The seat is hot and only getting hotter as the week goes on and more x/Twitter posters find more mind numbing stats to illustrate the utter failure of Staley’s defense.
                      This is a smooth yet stubborn operation.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The data is out there about the Chargers defense both in terms of Staleys first 36 regular season plus one playoff game or when looked at the through the lens of the Herberts now 52 starts.

The defense is bottom four in PPG allowed. At some point, they have to play better or there needs to be a change. And if the Chargers lose this Sunday, looking at a 4 win season as mentally, they will be done

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Good take.

Comment

Working...
                          X