• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Ansley was a DC in college and called the plays. But no he hasn't done play calling in the NFL.

Can he be any worse?
    honestly, I don't think the defense could get any worse under Ansley...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

This game how every game might be this year. The offense has to keep scoring and we can hope the defense get a few stops. It’s always getting off the field on third down. There was plenty of favorable third down plays for the defense and they couldn’t get it.

Money Smith said it sometime this offseason, we just have to outshoot everyone. Reminds me about Fouts back in the day. So hold on this year for a roller coaster. Just hope we can highs more than lows.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Herbert copy.png

Thought on Herbert

For context, remember how Dan Reeves used John Elway in this fashion early in his career and let John Elway win games with his arm and heroics - and then real football teams would destroy him in the Super Bowl - and that went on until Mike Shanahan came along and got John Elway a zone run game with Terrell Davis and parlayed that into two Super Bowl victories?

A lot of 'coulds' in this sentiment but Shanahan/Elway model offensive model, of an excellent run game supported by an excellent QB, could be the direction Kellen Moore and Justin Herbert are headed.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Telesco has invested heavily in buying over the hill, injury riddled defensive star power and used early draft picks to bolster this offense along change in offensive direction (approve). But investing so little and too late to get some defensive firepower takes too long for development to compete in their offensive counterparts who are also aging (other than recent first rounders). Staley's job is most definitely on the line to use resources better in his scheme, no more excuses or Asta la vista bitch. So tired of his predictable scheme and how easily its being exploited (carry over from previous seasons). This is only the first game, but it was home opener, against a good opponent but still a must win to send message, we are prepared to be elite level team.

Ready for a real defensive minded head coach to overall this defense just as Kellen Moore has come into impact and change course with offense. A man and leader who commands respect with a proven track record, not a flash in the pan. Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC. And as a bonus, new GM. We certainly don't need same GM to keep his position going into a 4th coaching regime. I don't post here much during regular season just draft time, but made my displeasure known about this year's first rounder Quentin Johnston, not because I don't like the talent or person (could see why they fell in love with him) but defensive infusion/fix clear priority, interior or edge rusher to replace Bosa/Mack not a replacement for Mike or Keenan. Maybe a different scheme (press corner) would help JC Jackson improve performance? Give him a shot until unloading that massive deal, work out some trades for either or both Mack and Bosa to restructure cap space and get younger and faster on D.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            Hard to fault Mack - he's had a stellar career but he's 32. It is what it is.

Bosa has NEVER been an impact, disruptor type of player.

JCJ I believe deserves some respect for coming back from a devastating injury and I do this excitement to be back out there contributed to mental mistakes. At least I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But yeah, the cap hit is astounding. I would rather just throw a bunch of rookies and young guys out there and let them learn on the fly. Can't be any worse. KC is doing exactly that with their young defense, but then again they are being coached by Spags.

It the end all roads seem to keep coming back to coaching.
            Bolded not true.

He has been disappointing in recent games though. He definitely needs to get his stuff together.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Nick Bosa on his defensive coordinator, now head man in Houston. Point is, Joey doesn't have that.

To put a finer point on it, this position coach got rolled by his coordinator.

2018.png

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                This game how every game might be this year. The offense has to keep scoring and we can hope the defense get a few stops. It’s always getting off the field on third down. There was plenty of favorable third down plays for the defense and they couldn’t get it.

Money Smith said it sometime this offseason, we just have to outshoot everyone. Reminds me about Fouts back in the day. So hold on this year for a roller coaster. Just hope we can highs more than lows.
                This might very well be the case this season. I hope not. But it just might be.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bolded not true.

He has been disappointing in recent games though. He definitely needs to get his stuff together.
                  “It didn’t take long for Joey Bosa to establish himself as one of the league’s top pass-rushers. He notched 59 pressures as a rookie back in 2016 despite not seeing the field until Week 5 and has only continued to improve in the four years since. Bosa is the only active edge rusher with a pass-rush win rate higher than 20% since 2016, sitting at 22.0% since entering the league. The biggest question heading into the 2021 season is whether he’ll remain healthy throughout the year.”

Joey Bosa finished the 2020 season with 39 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and 7.5 sacks to go along with 27 quarterbacks hits, a pass deflection, and a fumble recovery. His 15 TFL’s were the third-most for a single season in his career and his hits on the QB were second most.

BoltX has gotten my goat on many an occasion. Stay calm, Google the facts.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

This might very well be the case this season. I hope not. But it just might be.
                    Question: What happens if the NFL declares that the Game of The Week? Nothing the NFL loves more than high scoring (70 points, highest scoring game) of the week against QBs picked back-to-back and back-and-forth lead changes, that goes to a 4th down call with a minute left in the game, that is decided by two? Both teams had 30 first downs, unheard of!

This is a script the league loves.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bolded not true.

Disappointing? . . . . . . . . . . . . shocking. Good thing he's rich . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

Guys nobody else is gonna come in here and get anything out of these defensive players. Either Staley gets it turned around this year or he doesn't, but if he doesn't most of these guys are too old - there won't be enough time. The only ones left after a regime change will be Derwin, Asante, maybe Vato, the rookies, and maybe a couple of scrubs along the dline. Mack, Bosa, Kendricks, Murray, JC, will all be long gone.

Our "window" was last year and this year.

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                          Guys nobody else is gonna come in here and get anything out of these defensive players. Either Staley gets it turned around this year or he doesn't, but if he doesn't most of these guys are too old - there won't be enough time. The only ones left after a regime change will be Derwin, Asante, maybe Vato, the rookies, and maybe a couple of scrubs along the dline. Mack, Bosa, Kendricks, Murray, JC, will all be long gone.

Our "window" was last year and this year.
                          That's why if Staley doesn't get it together fast, you hand the keys to Jim Harbaugh next season and let him build the team around Herbert with a GM he wants to work with! Hiring Moore would be like the last 4 HC hires here! I would say if we don't get better fast you let Staley go mid-season and let Moore call the plays as HC and Ansley call the D plays as DC. If they make the playoffs and win a game cool, if not make Harbaugh and offer he can't refuse. The Chargers owners just don't understand how hard it is becoming as fans to listen to Staley after these loses against the playoff teams! Its almost like he's saying if only our players understood my D and the NFL game the way I do, we would beat every team in the league.

Comment

Working...
                          X