• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Due to looming salary cap issues and Herbert’s rookie contract, THIS was the year to add PON versus any other consideration.

I was disgusted with Telesco picking a WR versus TE in round 1, knowing the WR (even if very talented) wouldn’t get many snaps unless there was an injury.

Seeing how much development QJ needs is like salt in the wound.

A reset at GM and HC is sorely needed but I have no faith in little Johnny improving either role.
    I think QJ was draft to fill a PON next year when we have to move on from some big contracts. Not everyone drafts players to start right away - see Patrick Mahomes.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If you want an immediate starter, then we should have drafted for PON like maybe TE. But many people on this board hated drafting for need and wanted BPA regardless of position instead.
      And you think QJ was BPA? Not so sure about that. He was the most athletic among the WRs but not a polished route runner and prone to dropping passes.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

And you think QJ was BPA? Not so sure about that. He was the most athletic among the WRs but not a polished route runner and prone to dropping passes.
        That’s what the FO thought at least.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Actually 12, not 11. If they caught their roughly 5 per game that they average they'd be 7 behind after 8 games played and that is just not significant enough to really matter.
          Who brought up significant? I said the Bills use their TEs more than we do. That's true. That was in response to Dalton Kincaid and the Bills not using their TEs. They do and
          at a rate higher than we currently do.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

That’s what the FO thought at least.
            Correct and that's why a lot of Charger fans don't trust our FO.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

BPA or PON is always a fine line to walk. And for a player like QJ - at 21 was he REALLY that much better than the next person on your draft board. If at 21 QJ was your 17th best player and Kincaid was 18 (and it’sa close 17 to 18) - I think you go PON. If QJ was like 14 and the next best was whatever player was 19 - you take BPA since you have judged the talent gap that much larger.
              I can also see drafting a WR in the first over a TE since TEs in the first have a very low success rate compared to getting them in the other rounds.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think QJ was draft to fill a PON next year when we have to move on from some big contracts. Not everyone drafts players to start right away - see Patrick Mahomes.
                The QB position is quite different than any other in the NFL. You draft in the first round for starters. Not necessarily in the first year but sooner rather than later.
                Those that don't make it get cut or traded with no second contract. But getting back to the post, most 1st rounders start in their rookie year. The caveat is if
                the team is loaded. The Chargers thought we had a loaded team. Unfortunately the record says that's not the case.

And if you look at the Chargers draft you have to go back to 2007 as the year our first rounder did not start immediately. That guy was Buster Davis and turned
                out to be a bust.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

I can also see drafting a WR in the first over a TE since TEs in the first have a very low success rate compared to getting them in the other rounds.
                  Great TEs have been taken in later rounds. But that's an NFL mistake. Not sure TEs taken in the first round have a low success rate because so few do.
                  The problem is most likely due to how the NFL views TEs. You want a guy that can catch and block. But that almost never occurs. You either go for
                  a guy that's a receiving threat or a blocker. I prefer a receiving threat. You want a blocker insert an O line guy.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                    Social Piranha
                    • May 2022
                    • Flyover, USA
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Finally . . . . . . . . . at least a season too late - but . . . . . . . . . . . finally
                    Honestly I’m kinda shocked. Gotta be something else going on. Because no matter how bad they are, it usually takes 4 years for the Chargers to cut any player they drafted in the first 5 rounds - unless that player is a real head case. Heck, even Tillery made it to the middle of his 4th year. Buster Davis lasted 4 years, Larry English 5 years, Craig Mager 4 years. Different GM for some of those guys, so this tendency to hold on to underperforming drafted players likely comes from above the GM level. In any case, if most fans could see from a mile away that it wasn’t going to work out … my goodness.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

The question is, where are we right at this moment, as fans, with the Chargers ?

There is Pipkins, Palmer, K9...that is what we have to build with.

Should the Chargers become successful again, I would expect it to be in the form of everything coming together, all at once.

Logic and reason would be defied.

It would involve something, say a win over KC, which catapults us.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Really needed to draft one in this past draft which by all accounts, including Telesco - was the best TE class in years

Granted, I do think Bowers is a special player but not sure he has the blocking part down.

Vannett is just there to block. They don't need him to be a receiver - they need him to block.
                        I think Vannett can do stuff in the receiving game. Hopefully he brings more to the table than Mckitty.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I think Vannett can do stuff in the receiving game. Hopefully he brings more to the table than Mckitty.
                          He probably learned a thing or two as a vet and won’t have brain farts like McKitty. I saw some clips of him slow to react on plays and missing blocks left and right.

Comment

Working...
                          X