• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

This is gonna sound weird, but for the record, I’m actually more on their side than it appears. And I really don’t harbor any dislike for the Spanos family all. How can I? I don’t know them. Moreover I actually quietly disagree with a lot of fan views about them. The plain and simple fact is that the Spanos’ priorities simply differ from Charger fans’ priorities. And honestly, there’s not a damn thing wrong with what they’re doing. It’s their business. Heck, everyone wants to win, and I guarantee they’re no different. But this is also likely a big chunk of their income, so they have to go about their business more pragmatically compared to some of the bigger fish in the NFL ocean. No one can honestly blame them for that, can they? The strangely ironic thing is, as far as being somewhat relatable to the fans, they’re actually kind of the mom n pop shop of the NFL, as funny as that sounds. And yet they’re so intensely hated. I actually want to see them succeed. BUT, I also see that they’re fighting an uphill battle. This team hasn’t changed its character over so many years. When the on-field results stay remarkably, eh, “consistent” for however many years now, and in such very specific ways, then it becomes a pretty good bet who is to “blame”. I quote the word blame, because they may not actually be blaming anyone as far as their aims are concerned. I mean, they’ve undoubtedly increased their net worth considerably since moving to LA. If they do sell, they stand to make a fairly tidy sum, despite supposedly being highly leveraged (rumored). All I’m pointing out, is that they really don’t seem to know how to put a winning product on the field. And if that isn’t their utmost priority, the only thing we can do as fans is to stop supporting the product. There’s really no point in “fan loyalty” when you truly think critically about it all. We don’t take the field. The only thing fans have in common with the team is maybe a connection to the city name. And let’s be plainly honest, these billionaires and millionaires could give a rats ass about the fans, outside of their money and adoration. So why shouldn’t fans treat it as a product, from the point of view of their invested time? Don’t support a mediocre product. It really is the only way “we” can have any impact at all.

P.s. yikes I’m definitely gonna be a pariah now
    Well done brother. Many of my long held thoughts are woven into this more eloquently worded summary. I have absolutely no doubt they want to win - of course they do. They suffer from incomplete competence and limited cash flow. The franchise funds their families lifestyle, they have no choice - this is all they have. They cannot simply spend cash at will as they do not have separate cash flow like the richest owners who have billions in reserve and revenue from unrelated ventures.

I think their competence has marginally improved over the decades and that is testament to their desire to be good. They are not great and that is a factual assessment of their ability. But there has never been any evidence they don’t want to be good at what they do and there is no logical reaqson for them to not want to be good. Winning pays better, winning earns more money, winning feels better, winning increases asset valuation, winning improves personal prestige, … on and on … there is simply no rational explanation for them to not want to win.

They aren’t great at what they do and they don’t have unlimited cash to spend on non-roster expertise and improvement. It is what it is, it’s always been what it’s been, and fans that constantly bitch about reality are just hounds barking at the moon. The moon will always be the moon and I constantly wonder why they bark so much for no purpose.

I’ll always be a fan, always recognize reality like a mature adult and not bitch like a petulant spoiled child, and always hope that they somehow reach out and grab that brass ring by surprise. Who knows - this could be that year eh? (duck!)
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

This is gonna sound weird, but for the record, I’m actually more on their side than it appears. And I really don’t harbor any dislike for the Spanos family all. How can I? I don’t know them. Moreover I actually quietly disagree with a lot of fan views about them. The plain and simple fact is that the Spanos’ priorities simply differ from Charger fans’ priorities. And honestly, there’s not a damn thing wrong with what they’re doing. It’s their business. Heck, everyone wants to win, and I guarantee they’re no different. But this is also likely a big chunk of their income, so they have to go about their business more pragmatically compared to some of the bigger fish in the NFL ocean. No one can honestly blame them for that, can they? The strangely ironic thing is, as far as being somewhat relatable to the fans, they’re actually kind of the mom n pop shop of the NFL, as funny as that sounds. And yet they’re so intensely hated. I actually want to see them succeed. BUT, I also see that they’re fighting an uphill battle. This team hasn’t changed its character over so many years. When the on-field results stay remarkably, eh, “consistent” for however many years now, and in such very specific ways, then it becomes a pretty good bet who is to “blame”. I quote the word blame, because they may not actually be blaming anyone as far as their aims are concerned. I mean, they’ve undoubtedly increased their net worth considerably since moving to LA. If they do sell, they stand to make a fairly tidy sum, despite supposedly being highly leveraged (rumored). All I’m pointing out, is that they really don’t seem to know how to put a winning product on the field. And if that isn’t their utmost priority, the only thing we can do as fans is to stop supporting the product. There’s really no point in “fan loyalty” when you truly think critically about it all. We don’t take the field. The only thing fans have in common with the team is maybe a connection to the city name. And let’s be plainly honest, these billionaires and millionaires could give a rats ass about the fans, outside of their money and adoration. So why shouldn’t fans treat it as a product, from the point of view of their invested time? Don’t support a mediocre product. It really is the only way “we” can have any impact at all.

No, you are right in many ways

the Spanii do not deserve the support they get - I mean I still root for their team. kind of makes me a hypocrite

I want them to succeed too - but they are too effing stupid to know how to succeed. YUou mention they have to be pragmatic. Well if they won more games, they might make more money.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Not at all, in fact, this has been somewhat my take for years now, you just state it more eloquently than I.
        I actually appreciate the "uphill battle" as being relative "outsiders" in the NFL.
        I believe they will continue to take calculated risks in face of all their accusations and criticisms of being cheap and incompetent (which are mutually exclusive arguments imo)
        and at some point find the right opportunity to take a bigger risk and shell out for a big HC they believe in fully.
        We unfortunately have to wait and take our medicine we unknowingly signed up for.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Not at all, in fact, this has been somewhat my take for years now, you just state it more eloquently than I.
          I actually appreciate the "uphill battle" as being relative "outsiders" in the NFL.
          I believe they will continue to take calculated risks in face of all their accusations and criticisms of being cheap and incompetent (which are mutually exclusive arguments imo)
          and at some point find the right opportunity to take a bigger risk and shell out for a big HC they believe in fully.
          We unfortunately have to wait and take our medicine we unknowingly signed up for.
          cheap and incompetent are independent variables, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. they could both be true or false, or any combination therein.

I don't think they are cheap as much as I think they are relatively poor in NFL owners' terms. Compare them to Kroenke and Jerrah and folks are just always gonna be disappointed - they do not and will not have the same resources to just buy success. Folks can dream of a magical billionaire to come purchase them and shower the FO, coaching staff, and facilities with endless money, but I don't worry about what is not, just what is. Not to mention - some billionaires are asshats and clueless about football so be careful what you wish for.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Chargers are getting a new facility. Don't know if the Spanos are cheap and I'm sure they want to win.
            But they just don't know how. They also don't have a good reputation with the fan base, and sometimes
            for good reason.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

cheap and incompetent are independent variables, they don't have to be mutually exclusive. they could both be true or false, or any combination therein.

I don't think they are cheap as much as I think they are relatively poor in NFL owners' terms. Compare them to Kroenke and Jerrah and folks are just always gonna be disappointed - they do not and will not have the same resources to just buy success. Folks can dream of a magical billionaire to come purchase them and shower the FO, coaching staff, and facilities with endless money, but I don't worry about what is not, just what is. Not to mention - some billionaires are asshats and clueless about football so be careful what you wish for.
              The Spanii are not as wealthy as other owners - that is true. But I think that Dean really doesn't have much real life experience in business before he took over as owner. And I wonder if that is his biggest problem - he just never had to work so like hiring people, what is his experience and criteria he looks for . I get other sons work for owners, Clark Hunt, Stephen Jones, Jonathan Kraft - but a couple of those owners were self-made. The Hunts and the Rooneys grew up with the NFL so nepotism as well

Maybe it all boils down to Dean is just not that smart of a guy.. He could be worth what Kroenke is worth and still a terrible owner.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

No, you are right in many ways

the Spanii do not deserve the support they get - I mean I still root for their team. kind of makes me a hypocrite

I want them to succeed too - but they are too effing stupid to know how to succeed. You mention they have to be pragmatic. Well if they won more games, they might make more money.
                Agree with this completely . . . . . . . . . . . .

None of our comments will change anything - the Spanos aren't obligated to us in any way, and as I've said before they don't seem to be bad people (like some other owners), just . . . . . . . . . 'bumbling??'. They can't seem to get out of their own way (sigh). I don't hate them on a personal level, but I DO hate what they've done (or not done) to my team.

Sooooooo - I'm an idiot AND a hypocrite . . . . . . . . . . . this season just gets better and better . . . .

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agree with this completely . . . . . . . . . . . .

None of our comments will change anything - the Spanos aren't obligated to us in any way, and as I've said before they don't seem to be bad people (like some other owners), just . . . . . . . . . 'bumbling??'. They can't seem to get out of their own way (sigh). I don't hate them on a personal level, but I DO hate what they've done (or not done) to my team.

Sooooooo - I'm an idiot AND a hypocrite . . . . . . . . . . . this season just gets better and better . . . .
                  truth. and it just seems like if they would take the Costanza way - if you think of doing something, do the exact opposite, maybe that would be a better plan

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

truth. and it just seems like if they would take the Costanza way - if you think of doing something, do the exact opposite, maybe that would be a better plan
                    lol..... some truth to that....lol

also related to seinfeld.... Ive also called the Chargers the "even steven" team because our teams always play and coach "to keep games close and not to lose" no matter the quality of the opponent....

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

The Spanii are not as wealthy as other owners - that is true. But I think that Dean really doesn't have much real life experience in business before he took over as owner. And I wonder if that is his biggest problem - he just never had to work so like hiring people, what is his experience and criteria he looks for . I get other sons work for owners, Clark Hunt, Stephen Jones, Jonathan Kraft - but a couple of those owners were self-made. The Hunts and the Rooneys grew up with the NFL so nepotism as well

Maybe it all boils down to Dean is just not that smart of a guy.. He could be worth what Kroenke is worth and still a terrible owner.
                      Dean seems the most incompetent of all of the Spani progeny, from my far-away amateur view. As you note - not specific to football just general business/management/leadership acumen. He's never had it.

His kids seem better, albeit not great, on the football side. they also grew up in NFL ... they have worked for the team since they were what, ... teens?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

lol..... some truth to that....lol

also related to seinfeld.... Ive also called the Chargers the "even steven" team because our teams always play and coach "to keep games close and not to lose" no matter the quality of the opponent....
                        Good one, even steven, like it

Staley talks a lot - saying ... "the NFL is tough. a lot of one score games." well its almost like that is the way he coaches to make them one score games. The bears game was the exception of course. Hoping the Jets game is like the Bears, a nice comfortable three score win!

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Austin Johnson is #4 on this list.

10 NFL Starters Who Need To Be Benched ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                          X