• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Oh, I can take it as well as give it out. Fact is, no one has shown me any "proof" (beyond the Pollyanna Bible) that the team is significantly improved over the squad that 'vaulted' to that impressive 10-7 finish last season. I suppose I should be flattered that many are taking the time to respond at all. Must be hitting the proverbial nerve.
    The most significant improvement is the brain trust behind Staley...I mean who would let a OC walk who actually helped another team get to the Superbowl and is NOW a HEAD Coach. Staley's has had to go thru some serious learning curves....
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

The most significant improvement is the brain trust behind Staley...I mean who would let a OC walk who actually helped another team get to the Superbowl and is NOW a HEAD Coach. Staley's has had to go thru some serious learning curves....
      That would be someone who trusted people he knew over people others thought had a high potential.
      No question that a first time HC has a learning curve ahead. Everyone, including TT & Staley have anticipated that fact. Changes in staff reflect it.
      And he seems to be on track. 2020 Lynn 7W, '21 Staley 9 W, '22 10 W & playoff L. 2023 should continue to advance.
      IMO it's a toss-up whether good player health and experience as HC gained compared to staff changes is the biggest improvement.
      We SHOULD be better. The proof or failure will demonstrated on the field in the coming NFL season.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That would be someone who trusted people he knew over people others thought had a high potential.
        No question that a first time HC has a learning curve ahead. Everyone, including TT & Staley have anticipated that fact. Changes in staff reflect it.
        And he seems to be on track. 2020 Lynn 7W, '21 Staley 9 W, '22 10 W & playoff L. 2023 should continue to advance.
        IMO it's a toss-up whether good player health and experience as HC gained compared to staff changes is the biggest improvement.
        We SHOULD be better. The proof or failure will demonstrated on the field in the coming NFL season.
        Well if all our best players don't get injured (like they did last year) we should be better. However the W-L record may not be better. That's
        because the schedule looks brutal. The big question is: Assuming we make the POs are we going to bow out at first opportunity?

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well if all our best players don't get injured (like they did last year) we should be better. However the W-L record may not be better. That's
          because the schedule looks brutal. The big question is: Assuming we make the POs are we going to bow out at first opportunity?
          My question is "Will the Moore / Herbert offense show up to play?" as compared to Jax vs LAC.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Oh, I can take it as well as give it out. Fact is, no one has shown me any "proof" (beyond the Pollyanna Bible) that the team is significantly improved over the squad that 'vaulted' to that impressive 10-7 finish last season. I suppose I should be flattered that many are taking the time to respond at all. Must be hitting the proverbial nerve.
            You carry the flag well . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Why in the world would you burn the best part of your all world QB's rookie contract on a 1st time HC with an enormous learning curve? Does that make any sense at all? Herbert has been carrying the team for the last couple of years (even while injured he's still above average), but he can't overcome everything . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

It takes a Chinese Fire drill to find out who's an asset or a liability.

"The origin of that last term isn’t well documented, but supposedly originates from an actual fire drill on an early 20th century British ship. The story goes that the ship’s British officers had their largely Chinese crew practicing the procedure for putting out an engine room fire. One bucket brigade drew water from the starboard side of the ship, brought it to the engine room and dumped it. A separate bucket brigade scooped up the dumped water and got rid of it by tossing it over the port side of the ship. At some point during the drill, the crews got their instructions confused, and began drawing water from one side of the boat and simply dumping it over the other, without ever getting to the engine room."

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...se-fire-drills
                Last edited by gzubeck; 03-29-2023, 10:24 AM.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Exactly and I've lived through that as well but here we are. Still hoping for the best.
                  The saying under my username is how I feel. Just win one , it's been 50 years of losing every which way you can think of.
                  If you're like me you don't have a choice.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Why in the world would you burn the best part of your all world QB's rookie contract on a 1st time HC with an enormous learning curve? Does that make any sense at all? Herbert has been carrying the team for the last couple of years (even while injured he's still above average), but he can't overcome everything . . . . . .
                    Cheapest. My guess is for (NFL) world domination. Enormous is your guess. Every 1st timer has a learning curve. Vets are a gamble too. How many won the 2022 SB? We appear to be moving along nicely. So far.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

No, I've lived through being a Charger fan for too long. If something can go wrong it usually does. I have many Charger memories
                      to repress.
                      I agree with that. Some of the failures are etched in my memory at a point in time when my memory is fading. I'm not going to name them so I don't bring them back to mind for others but they sure have disappointed me many times.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree with that. Some of the failures are etched in my memory at a point in time when my memory is fading. I'm not going to name them so I don't bring them back to mind for others but they sure have disappointed me many times.
                        Roo, The Chargers have been innovative, exciting, and record breaking. Lots of good times. But less one AFL Championship they are not a
                        championship type team. We keep hoping but it never quite works out. I hope for your sake this is the year. Never know when lighting will strike.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Cheapest. My guess is for (NFL) world domination. Enormous is your guess. Every 1st timer has a learning curve. Vets are a gamble too. How many won the 2022 SB? We appear to be moving along nicely. So far.
                          Cheap . . .for the win.

Enormous is not a guess - it's been proven out over the last 2 years. BS can't even get the defense to play average football, and that was SUPPOSED to be his strong suit.

We may be moving along nicely (we'll see when the season starts), but we're also negotiating Herbert's extension.

Comment

Working...
                          X