• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Just release Bosa and I am good with what you are doing -- you get under the cap on March 15 and can assess the trade potential and contract demands of Allen and Mack. Joey Bosa's health is why you move on from him and not push more cap - just release him. And if Bosa isn't healthy - two years now - doesn't matter who the coach is. Has to be on the field

those numbers for Allen - right in line with where I think he should be
    Are you going into the season without Bosa and Mack? Tuli had 4.5 sacks last year. Bosa had 7.5 sacks in 8 games.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Bosa - The problem has been playing 16 (now 17) games a year. His pressure rate (when healthy) is elite. I leave all emotional feelings about a player out of evaluating a player. If I can save $10.4 million on my 2024 cap (without extending the contract)... per OTC, I'd do it. If Jim Harbaugh is the next HC, you know he likes defense. When he took the 49er job... he started with a stacked defense. Can Harbaugh get more out of Bosa than Staley did...?

Williams - I really couldn't care less what happens with Mike. I wasn't excited about the pick in the first place. Release him and save $20 million against the 2024 cap.

Allen - I really love Keenan. It's hard for me to imagine Herbie without Keenan. I think Keenan has at least 2 more good years left. I think it would be smart to extend his contract out to 2026. The last year of the contract could be where you put some of that restructure (from previous contract) and bonus signing. I think Keenan wants to be here. $17-18 million per year...? Reduce his 2024 cap hit by $7m...?

Mack's contract is the hardest to extend (without expecting him to take a fairly big pay-cut). Coming off of a career year... he would probably like to have one last big payday. If you can figure out other contracts (and get under the cap by March 13) then you can trade Mack and create $23m more 2024 cap space. Trading Mack could probably bring a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Pre-March 13 moves:

Cut Linsley and Kendricks ($15.4m savings)
      Cut Mike Williams ($20m savings)
      Restructure Bosa and Derwin ($18m savings)

At this point, you are $7.7m under the cap (per OTC) by March 13th. KA and Mack are still under contract. You have 47 players under contract. I'm not sure how many players are required on the 53-man roster @March13th... but if it's all 53, you have 5 ERFA's you can tender and still be under the cap.
      Trading Mack will give you $23m more space... now you have $30.7m space to start the new year... and you haven't even touched Keenan's contract.
      Create an argument that Mack isn’t worth $23 mil. It’s not even top five yet he was #3 EDGE last year I believe? You want elite play at arguably the second most important position on the team, gotta pony up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Are you going into the season without Bosa and Mack? Tuli had 4.5 sacks last year. Bosa had 7.5 sacks in 8 games.
        Yes, I am. I just do not trust him to stay health. Only way I would truly keep Bosa is if his base salary were like $6m or something with a bunch of incentives. But the guy has not been healthy for a two years running - not going to take that chance again.

Tuli will get better; the new HC/GM will find players that can fill in the rotation.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Create an argument that Mack isn’t worth $23 mil. It’s not even top five yet he was #3 EDGE last year I believe? You want elite play at arguably the second most important position on the team, gotta pony up.
          He is going to be 33.5 when the season starts
          I have brought up the fact that players like JJ Watt and Von Miller - had declines in their career. For 2024, Mack has earned the $20 - but that doesn't mean he has earned it for 2025.

So sure, if he has a deal that is good for both parties - fine, take it year by year. Same applies to Keenan Allen.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

He is going to be 33.5 when the season starts
            I have brought up the fact that players like JJ Watt and Von Miller - had declines in their career. For 2024, Mack has earned the $20 - but that doesn't mean he has earned it for 2025.

So sure, if he has a deal that is good for both parties - fine, take it year by year. Same applies to Keenan Allen.
            Fair.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Bosa - I want him gone no matter what. He is overpaid, overrated and most importantly, I don't think he is the right guy for the locker room and culture. Done with him

Williams - maybe if he takes a huge pay cut but again, he doesn't get open, he gets hurt, catches the 50/50 but coming off an injury - moving on

Mack and Allen - I bring them back if the contracts are structured as basically one year deals with nominal potential for dead cap. So basically Larry Fitzgerald type contracts that are managed year to year. If either truly wants a longer term deal at this time - moving on

Your moves for Bosa, Derwin, Mike and Keenan is pushing $50m of cap space to the future. You said yourself Bosa is not worth $22m so why are you paying him $22m. The Chargers are going to need cap space to pay for actual players and draft picks - so why are you wasting 50m of your future. Save it for when you are truly a contender

And lastly - the Chargers already tried this with pushing a bunch of cap for these four players - who as a group have won EXACTLY how many playoff games - and you want to do it again.

Personally I am about building a team for 2025-2028 and if taking a step back this year, leveling the cap, ripping off the band-aid - signa bunch of guys on prove it deals, better coaching, and than maybe next year, evaluate what you need and dip into free agency than

I look at these four players as free agents and would, as a 5-12 team - pay a Keenan Allen 23m for one year or Khalil Mack - probably not. And I sure as hell wouldn't pay Bosa $22m or Mike Williams $20m
              Thats my only concern with MW. He gets open. You dont have two 1k recieving seasons by not getting open. Im sure many teams would love to have him as i would like to keep him but injury concerns are high........and he makes too much.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Really love FRANK GORE JR for us in the 5th rd. (Projected 5-6.) JH coached his dad w/ SF!!!
                He is small (195 lbs) so he wouldnt be an everydown RB. Scat back type.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I would say that Khalil Mack is worth $23m. But I wouldn't say that he's worth 38.5m (his cap hit next year).

1) To extend him, you have to take the $15.3 restructure and spread it out over 2024 and 2025. With $23m additional base salary for 2025... you are paying him $30+m cap hit for 2024 and 2025. Is he worth $30+mil @ 33.5 and 34.5 years of age...? I would say, "no".
                  2) His career high 17 sacks last year may have been padded by his 6 sacks vs the Raiders (10/1). He had 8 sacks in 17 games in 2022.
                  3) By cutting/trading him, you create $23m of cap space for 2024.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think that's a bad move but we'll see. Moore wants to be a HC as well. Learn a new system next year or the year after....same thing. Learn it next season and have the same system for some years after.
                    Moore has to prove he’s a good OC before he gets a HC interview. He hasn’t shown me shit yet. If Harbaugh replaces him I bet not one single fan will care.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I would say that Khalil Mack is worth $23m. But I wouldn't say that he's worth 38.5m (his cap hit next year).

1) To extend him, you have to take the $15.3 restructure and spread it out over 2024 and 2025. With $23m additional base salary for 2025... you are paying him $30+m cap hit for 2024 and 2025. Is he worth $30+mil @ 33.5 and 34.5 years of age...? I would say, "no".
                      2) His career high 17 sacks last year may have been padded by his 6 sacks vs the Raiders (10/1). He had 8 sacks in 17 games in 2022.
                      3) By cutting/trading him, you create $23m of cap space for 2024.
                      As long as the 2025 dollars are not guaranteed - I think this is a reasonable solution

Now Mack might want something that guarantees him money in 2025 and beyond -

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Moore has to prove he’s a good OC before he gets a HC interview. He hasn’t shown me shit yet. If Harbaugh replaces him I bet not one single fan will care.
                        Dallas got better without Kellen Moore -
                        I don't think the Chargers need to keep Moore

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

As long as the 2025 dollars are not guaranteed - I think this is a reasonable solution

Now Mack might want something that guarantees him money in 2025 and beyond -
                          I would think that he would want guaranteed money in 2024 and 2025. Otherwise, he'd probably not sign an extension, accept a trade/cut, and go get his guaranteed money elsewhere. 17 sacks (padded or not) gives his agent some leverage in demanding guaranteed money.

Comment

Working...
                          X