• Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It looked pretty ineffective live too.
    Sometimes live you can see holes that are missed etc. it didn’t seem like that was the case today. Titans d line just better

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

The Dallas Cowboys turned to one of their old quarterbacks to fill their vacant offensive coordinator position...

Moore was hired in 2019 as OC and The Dallas Cowboys responded with the most yards of total offense by a team in 2019, with 6,904 yards. 1st in NFL.​

Rich posted this and I thought I would put it in the Kellen Moore thread.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
        https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ve-coordinator

Moore was hired in 2019 as OC and The Dallas Cowboys responded with the most yards of total offense by a team in 2019, with 6,904 yards. 1st in NFL.​

Rich posted this and I thought I would put it in the Kellen Moore thread.

beautiful happy endings GIF

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

The 32nd ranked team in 2022 was New England. They signed the best short yardage back in the league in Ezekiel Elliott, who was on the #1 team (in points only).

2023 - NE is now 7th, Chargers are 8th, and Dallas is 27th.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/31/23577630/cowboys-kellen-moore-dak-prescott-stats-play-calls-design

Even if [Kellen Moore] isn’t necessarily the problem, it’s clear after this season that the combination of Moore and QB Dak Prescott just wasn’t working anymore. How much blame should fall at Dak’s feet over Moore’s is a fair question. But no matter how much you think Dak is the problem, his contract is impossible to escape from in 2023. The offensive coordinator presented the only choice for remediation.

That said, calling Kellen Moore a “scapegoat” would be a bit much. His side of the ball clearly held the Cowboys back in 2022 over Dan Quinn’s defense. His best work was during those four wins by Cooper Rush when the team was defying expectations instead of failing to meet them.

The Rush period highlighted an issue that’s been complained about many times during Moore’s tenure. He has success when trusting in the obvious strengths of the team and mitigating its weaknesses.
            ​But when he’s got all of his options available, Moore seems to forget who brought him to the dance. Too many passes thrown to the wrong guys, too many carries for the wrong running back, and play designs that rarely seem to work with this roster; it’s almost like he’s trying to prove something at times instead of just winning the game in front of him.

Again, we can only perceive so much in how often a poorly-executed play is based on its design or the players involved. But the Cowboys’ front office clearly feels that there is an opportunity to improve at the design point, or at the very least wants to see how Dak Prescott will respond to a new voice in his ear.

All that being said, Kellen Moore was far from trash during his time in Dallas. Despite just one year as the quarterbacks coach before putting on the headset, Moore coordinated one of the NFL’s most-successful offenses over the last four seasons. He will be an asset and upgrade for many teams.

Nevertheless, desperate to improve and get over that Divisional Round hump, the Dallas Cowboys had to make a move. If your quarterback isn’t elite then you need the right mix of design and surrounding talent to help elevate the final product. It’s chemistry, not mathematics, and the lack of consistent results in 2022 meant a core element had to change.

Too many carries for the wrong running back. Say the fans in Dallas. So they got rid of the architect of the #1 offense in the league in 2019 + 2021 because they couldn't get past the 49ers. You won't with Dak Prescott at QB.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/1/31/23577630/cowboys-kellen-moore-dak-prescott-stats-play-calls-design

Too many carries for the wrong running back. Say the fans in Dallas. So they got rid of the architect of the #1 offense in the league in 2019 + 2021 because they couldn't get past the 49ers. You won't with Dak Prescott at QB.
              I find it amusing when it said Kellen does better with less options. But if that’s the case we should have done better yesterday with Kelly 😅

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Why the Dallas Cowboys have struggled in the red zone, and how they can improve it as the Cowboys led the league in red zone efficiency each of the last two seasons when Moore was the play-caller.

The offense was able to move the ball well throughout the game, totaling 416 total yards. However, the team repeatedly sputtered when they reached the inside of the Cardinals 20-yard line. This is a trend that has plagued the Cowboys offense the past several weeks.

Dak Prescott spoke after the game about the red zone issues, stating that the offense has to be more efficient.
                “We’ve got to do better, as a team, as a unit, myself. I got to make some throws, maybe use my feet more. Obviously that’s an area we haven’t been good in these last two weeks. We all got to get back to the drawing board. It starts with me. ... We didn’t convert in the red zone. That’s the story of this game, period.”

So what is the problem with the red zone offense? They certainly have shown the offense is capable of moving the ball down the field. They just have been unable to punch it in the end zone. The Cowboys had been okay settling for field goals earlier in the season, however, there will be games throughout the season where the defense underperforms. Those are the games that the offense will have to step up and win games.

Fans are putting blame on a variety of factors. Many people believe that this lackluster red zone offense is due to the loss of offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. The numbers would support this claim, as the Cowboys led the league in red zone efficiency each of the last two seasons when Moore was the play-caller.

Cowboys have played three games and are already soul-searching for what is missing.

The Dallas offense has been struggling to start the season at converting in the red zone. This is what they should do heading forward to improve it.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

DALLAS.jpg

Charger scoring is UP 5.3 points per game and Dallas is down nearly two points.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2023/9/22/23882627/cowboys-scouting-report-breaking-down-cardinals-offensive-scheme-josh-dobbs-james-connor

Following the end of the 2022 season, the Cardinals underwent an organizational facelift. Their general manager, who had been with the team for 24 years, stepped down while head coach Kliff Kingsbury, with just one winning record in four seasons, was fired. The Cardinals had limped to a 4-13 finish that saw quarterback Kyler Murray tear his ACL in Week 14.

In came rookie general manager Monti Ossenfort and rookie head coach Jonathan Gannon, two young minds tasked with turning around an organization with just one winning season in the last seven years, and doing so without their franchise quarterback. Joining them is offensive coordinator Drew Petzing. Only Kellen Moore, now with the Chargers, is a younger offensive play-caller, but Petzing is in his first season calling plays for an offense while Moore is in his fifth.

Petzing came over from the Browns, where he was the quarterbacks coach in 2022 after coaching tight ends the previous two seasons. Prior to that, Petzing had spent six years with the Vikings working alongside Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski, as well as Gannon. From a scheme standpoint, Petzing is very similar to Stefanski, who himself runs a variation of the Shanahan style of offense that is taking the league by storm. Nathaniel Hackett and the Jets run their own variant of this offense as well, but Stefanski and now Petzing are a little different.

The structural bones of the Shanahan offense is a West Coast offense that heavily emphasizes the outside zone running scheme. While that doesn’t necessarily mean it has to be run-heavy, many of the designs and concepts are built off the outside zone run, which makes the play-action game even harder to defend because it’s nearly impossible for defenses to know when it’s a run or a play-action pass. At least in theory, of course.
                    ​​​​​​​​
                    https://nfl-video.com/dallas-cowboys...023-nfl-week-3 << Replay here.

Need to preface with the fact the Arizona Cardinals were running outside zone scheme yesterday and they gashed the Cowboys all game long with it. First time I've had the chance to really see them execute with their starters. They are killing it.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/players-roster/hunter-luepke/

I'm going to have some fun with Mike McCarthy. Come along, won't you?

So....I'm watching the Cowboys game, when was Mike McCarthy going to tell us he signed a FB? Calling a FB out of NDSU a RB and lining him up in I-formation...Dude, McCarthy tried to change his short yardage game - by going back to the Sixties. Hell, Telesco could have traded you Zander Horvath.

I am calling attention to it as I believe better offensive line play at A) zone and B) traditional gap schemes is the way forward, that involves blocking TEs + WRs. McCarthy is sure set in his ways, and Kellen knows that and is going to use it against him.

image.png

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

McCarthy.png

Looking to compare and contrast offenses, McCarthy clearly favors running to set-up the pass. Moore is on the other side. He tests your pass defenses with concepts until you are stressed, then he mixes in the run game by mixing zone and conventional gap. I believe Andy Reid also passes to set up the run. I think that is what you need to attack the Chiefs, aggressiveness on offense.

Comment

• AK47
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

DALLAS.jpg

Charger scoring is UP 5.3 points per game and Dallas is down nearly two points.
                          If the Chargers had better defense it would likely mean more points the offense scores while opponents points are decreased.

Comment

Working...
                          X