• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t remember Al Saunders. But Norv left in 2002 after Marty was hired over him.
    Al saunders was coryell’s OC and he replaced coryell as HC after coryell was fired…it didn’t work out as the team was old and losing most of it’s stars then the spanos hired a raider exec (steve ortmieyer?) who promptly traded away one of the best players that was left on the chargers (jim lachey)…they were awful saunders got fired and they didn’t get better until boss ross and bobby beatherd ran the show like 6 years after coryell had been fired…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I wish he had a defensive vision too, especially one that included bringing in someone to help him run the defense so he can focus on being the HC…I read somewhere this week a former coach was making a comment on what McCarthy is taking on in dallas by wanting to call plays again, the guy said it literally doubles the time commitment for a head coach double as a coordinator and a head coach
      IMHO it is still a personnel issue.
      And will mock accordingly and very specifically !
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

"Winning at all costs?!?!?!" I'm in....
        Winning to save his job?????

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I see the same people who were demanding fealty to Lombardi are at it again,
          policing ambiguity and critiquing those who are not bubbling with joy over the hire.

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          Demanded fealty to Lombardi? Not in the least. Pointing out that injuries to the line, your QB, your WR core and a lack of speed can affect what an OC can call? Absolutely.

You didn't like Lombardi. You're underwhelmed by Moore, would be underwhelmed by anyone from the Rams and are also saying you'd be underwhelmed by any Shanahan disciple. Casting a wide net of people that underwhelm you. Who would you be excited about hiring as our OC?
          I'm with richpjr on this powderblueboy. We all saw the struggles Lombardi was having. Outside pundits also disliked him. But some of us just didn't want to go negative on the guy, to give the opportunity to prove himself, or not, before coming to a definitive conclusion. Herbert was a top 2-3 passer in 2021 under Lombardi. I think we're all on board with the decision to move on from Lombardi and acknowledge Herbert needs a different OC to thrive in his best abilities.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You could say this but I think Staley was trying to preserve his friendship over common sense. How can you fire a dear friend after only one season and that one season was not that bad and was mostly on the defense for not going anywhere. Clearly after this season everyone's worse fears of Lombardi being a light weight at adapting became true. It almost cost Staley his job....
            So Staley prioritized his friendship with Lombardi over maximizing the performance of his generationally talented QB? And allowed Lombardi to reduce the teams chances of winning? If this is truly the case Staley should be in the unemployment line right behind Lombo.

I have a lot of frustration with Staley for letting Lombardi run the offense (and JH) into the ground like he did. You're the Head Coach, the undisputed leader - you need to be able to make the hard decisions, like; correcting the offense (or removing the OC if he refuses), disciplining his players when they f*** up (Bosa / Helmet toss).

Do your job - do what's necessary for the betterment of the team, or GTFO.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Can’t help but imagine Dallas running game married to Herbert at QB…just wow.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Al saunders was coryell’s OC and he replaced coryell as HC after coryell was fired…it didn’t work out as the team was old and losing most of it’s stars then the spanos hired a raider exec (steve ortmieyer?) who promptly traded away one of the best players that was left on the chargers (jim lachey)…they were awful saunders got fired and they didn’t get better until boss ross and bobby beatherd ran the show like 6 years after coryell had been fired…
                I was at the Rams Chargers game in Anaheim in 1988. I go there early with my friend and we were watching the teams way down by the railing stretch and warm up. While wearing my Fouts jersey this guy walks up to me and my friend, asks us how we are doing, shakes our hands and tells us we are in for a hell of a game today, it was Al Saunders, the Chargers went on to smoke the Rams that day. For everything bad about that guy I will never forget that game and how nice he was.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

So Staley prioritized his friendship with Lombardi over maximizing the performance of his generationally talented QB? And allowed Lombardi to reduce the teams chances of winning? If this is truly the case Staley should be in the unemployment line right behind Lombo.

I have a lot of frustration with Staley for letting Lombardi run the offense (and JH) into the ground like he did. You're the Head Coach, the undisputed leader - you need to be able to make the hard decisions, like; correcting the offense (or removing the OC if he refuses), disciplining his players when they f*** up (Bosa / Helmet toss).

This post is an example of why people shouldn’t jump to conclusions about certain things. It just becomes irrational. There was no reason to fire Lombardi after 2021.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

I asked this question in the previous page but I’m not sure where people are getting the idea that this is a Spanos move. Throughout their history they’ve been hands off when it comes to what the GM and HC wants to do. With the HC, it’s still his decision who he wants on his staff. Otherwise for example they would have forced Lynn to fire George Stewart a long time ago as ST coach. This was all Staley. Just like Ficken was his last name offseason.
                    The Spanos clan don't have the smarts to set this up - you guys are giving them way too much credit. This was a Staley hire, and a good one I believe. BS knows that another year like last year and he's gone. If he screws up badly enough to be relieved of his duties next year what difference would it make (to him) who replaces him?

Staley's head coaching future with the Chargers rest squarely on the performance of his defense next year. He's a defensive 'mastermind', but for 2 years now the defense has been below average. That's not good enough.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

very good post!

Staley might end up being good HC in the NFL down the road at some point, I just don’t think he was ready to lead a professional NFL team yet, he needed more NFL experience…to think that kellen moore, as young as he is, has 3 or 4 more years of coordinator experience than staley did when he got the charger HC job, in fact if moore sat out this year it would give brandon a year to catch up in terms of playcalling duties in the NFL…moore still has a full year on him right now…

another thing that comes about with experience is that these coaches make valuable connections with other coaches and GMs around the league that pay off in a multitude of ways in their coaching tenures, staley doesn’t have those types of resources, we’ve seen it when he got hired nobody from the rams followed him, last offseason he hired a complete unknown to coach STs and got lucky, and again this offseason new coordinator he had zero ties to…it’s almost as if he’s an outsider in the NFL fraternity…I don’t think staley gave himself the opportunity to establish himself and build his network, he was in too big of a hurry to move up, and that’s troubling…he said his first year that when he was first hired as an assistant that it only took him a couple of days to learn that he could be a HC, it’s a sign of extreme arrogance and IMO, he’s proven otherwise and he hasn’t shown that he can lead effectively, and his reluctance to let go of the defensive play calling might ironically prove to be his undoing as a HC for the chargers…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

very good post!

Staley might end up being good HC in the NFL down the road at some point, I just don’t think he was ready to lead a professional NFL team yet, he needed more NFL experience…to think that kellen moore, as young as he is, has 3 or 4 more years of coordinator experience than staley did when he got the charger HC job, in fact if moore sat out this year it would give brandon a year to catch up in terms of playcalling duties in the NFL…moore still has a full year on him right now…

another thing that comes about with experience is that these coaches make valuable connections with other coaches and GMs around the league that pay off in a multitude of ways in their coaching tenures, staley doesn’t have those types of resources, we’ve seen it when he got hired nobody from the rams followed him, last offseason he hired a complete unknown to coach STs and got lucky, and again this offseason new coordinator he had zero ties to…it’s almost as if he’s an outsider in the NFL fraternity…I don’t think staley gave himself the opportunity to establish himself and build his network, he was in too big of a hurry to move up, and that’s troubling…he said his first year that when he was first hired as an assistant that it only took him a couple of days to learn that he could be a HC, it’s a sign of extreme arrogance and IMO, he’s proven otherwise and he hasn’t shown that he can lead effectively, and his reluctance to let go of the defensive play calling might ironically prove to be his undoing as a HC for the chargers…
                        I don’t see Staley as being any more arrogant than the typical NFL HC. You have to believe in yourself. I would also argue that he’s actually less arrogant than most given that he’s ready to break friendship and do the right thing like he did last offseason by replacing the ST coach position after only season. And it was an external hire outside of his circle which is more than most HCs would do. Also who was the nobody from the Rams that followed him here?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

This post is an example of why people shouldn’t jump to conclusions about certain things. It just becomes irrational. There was no reason to fire Lombardi after 2021.
                          Agreed on 21, but that wasn't my point. My point was that it was inexcusable that 22's offensive issues were allowed to continue all year without effective correction. If Lombo didn't want to adjust that's fine, then it's up to the head coach - the team leader, to solve the problem. Staley did not, and allowed or enabled it to continue . . . . that's on him. He was either unwilling to REQUIRE / FORCE scheme changes, or personal changes, or he simply wasn't football smart enough to figure out how to fix the issues. Any way you slice it it comes up looking bad for the guy in charge . . . . I hope he's learned something from all this.

Comment

Working...
                          X