• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

To be honest I haven't heard that rumor.
    But I did read this from Telesco, so maybe shut down the cut or trade Keenan talk.

“Keenan Allen, to me, he’s our Andre Reed. He’s our Charlie Joiner,” Telesco said on NFL Network’s “Good Morning Football.” “He’s an incredible football player. We have a great quarterback and we need weapons around him. There’s never been any thought of that.”

The Chargers were roughly $20 million over the salary cap at the start of this week’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, and trading or cutting Allen would free up north of $14.8 million in cap space. Telesco, however, said that’s not in LA’s plans.

“He’s with us,” Telesco said, “and between him and Mike Williams and Josh Palmer, we think that’s a great three receivers for our quarterback

Keenan Allen may be the best pick TT has made in his career as a GM in terms of where he was taken and the career he’s had. It’s the little gold star on his forehead. He doesn’t want that removed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Keenan Allen may be the best pick TT has made in his career as a GM in terms of where he was taken and the career he’s had. It’s the little gold star on his forehead. He doesn’t want that removed
      I have two points about why Telesco - and we don't know what will happen - but the theory that Williams, Mack Bosa and Allen are back - so the Chargers push 45m or more to the future including Allen and Mack's money

1) he might be in his last year as GM so what does he care about the future cap

2) its easier for him to keep the known of say Allen and Bosa than release Allen, trade Bosa and have to manage finding new players. Like you said, Allen is his gold star.

So with KA coming back - the offense still needs to change. Kellen Moore's schemes won't make players fast or give them the ability to produce YAC. Telesco has a boat load of work to do still

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scotty Boy View Post
        I think most are missing the specific issue with Slayer: while he’s still a productive player (although to varying opinions), he makes too much money. It’s all about VALUE.

The NFL’s salary cap has dictated value take center stage for all teams….
        If you look at the numbers he put up when he came back from his hammy injury, he was an elite receiver - top 10 stats and you could credibly make the argument he is worth the money. TT's comments in the past day or so pretty much shoot down him as a cap casualty or getting traded.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If you look at the numbers he put up when he came back from his hammy injury, he was an elite receiver - top 10 stats and you could credibly make the argument he is worth the money. TT's comments in the past day or so pretty much shoot down him as a cap casualty or getting traded.
          Since he is back -- I hope he plays all 17 games, and proves me wrong

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
            It's clearly a bad move to keep him if you think he's gonna miss half the season again.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Telesco says KA isn't going anywhere. Makes good sense to me.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

We all do! I just go back to he is 30 right now, not 40, so that isn't that old for a WR, especially one who does not rely on speed for his game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

We all do! I just go back to he is 30 right now, not 40, so that isn't that old for a WR, especially one who does not rely on speed for his game.
                  17 might be asking a bit - will be good with 14 or 15 games from Allen

Still going to say it - WR with speed is still the biggest need on the roster (assuming Bosa and Mack are both back as well) - which means Telesco is going to trade up for Bijan - same deal he gave for Melvin gordon..

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

17 might be asking a bit - will be good with 14 or 15 games from Allen

Still going to say it - WR with speed is still the biggest need on the roster (assuming Bosa and Mack are both back as well) - which means Telesco is going to trade up for Bijan - same deal he gave for Melvin gordon..
                    You start off saying our biggest need is a fast WR but go on the say we should take a RB? Maybe you said it to mock our GM?

I don't know that a new RB, even a very good one will be able to improve our running attack. I think our problem there is the run blocking of the OL. The backs are getting tackled behind the los way too many times. How will Bijan do when he's met behind the los?

I still think it's early to guess about who we should take in the draft since we don't know who's coming and going during the FA period.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      You start off saying our biggest need is a fast WR but go on the say we should take a RB? Maybe you said it to mock our GM?

I don't know that a new RB, even a very good one will be able to improve our running attack. I think our problem there is the run blocking of the OL. The backs are getting tackled behind the los way too many times. How will Bijan do when he's met behind the los?

I still think it's early to guess about who we should take in the draft since we don't know who's coming and going during the FA period.
                      Yes, I was mocking Telesco. When conventional wisdom seems to be the chargers need TE, Edge and WR - he will probably go a different path and take CB and RB

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

going to be very interesting how the chargers move the money

maybe they follow BoltNuts advice and restructure Williams and Bosa -

I truly hope though that Telesco thinks the WR room is far from a finished product with KA, MW and Palmer. He still needs to be a pretty high draft pick on a WR with a different skill set (speed) than the current three
                        Doesn’t have to be a high pick, there’s speed plus a little of this or that, pick your flavor, all through this draft.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Yes, I was mocking Telesco. When conventional wisdom seems to be the chargers need TE, Edge and WR - he will probably go a different path and take CB and RB
                          ?? Those are needs as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X