• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

There were 16, 1000+ yard rushers last season.
    I don't think there will ever be few to none.
    Of 16 only a handful are thought of as being cowbell RBs. Actually only Jacobs fills that terminology. CMC is not a cowbell RB, but he has gained over 1300 on the
    ground. Only 4 of the 16 had attempts of around 300 or more. Then it falls off. The remaining 12 of the 16 use two RBs. The rest of the league without a 1000 yard
    rusher uses 2 or more RBs, that's 16 teams. In other words the day of the cowbell RB is over. The definition of a cowbell RB is not gaining 1000 yards. It's carrying the load + a threat
    in the receiving department. That would be somebody in the likes of LT. There is no such RB, lest Jacobs and he's not going to last vey long if he continues to carry the
    football +300 times season. You can see Henry's ypc going down to 4.4 less than Ekeler. The same fate awaits Chubb unless they find a second RB that can take some of
    the load.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Of 16 only a handful are thought of as being cowbell RBs. Actually only Jacobs fills that terminology. CMC is not a cowbell RB, but he has gained over 1300 on the
      ground. Only 4 of the 16 had attempts of around 300 or more. Then it falls off. The remaining 12 of the 16 use two RBs. The rest of the league without a 1000 yard
      rusher uses 2 or more RBs, that's 16 teams. In other words the day of the cowbell RB is over. The definition of a cowbell RB is not gaining 1000 yards. It's carrying the load + a threat
      in the receiving department. That would be somebody in the likes of LT. There is no such RB, lest Jacobs and he's not going to last vey long if he continues to carry the
      football +300 times season. You can see Henry's ypc going down to 4.4 less than Ekeler. The same fate awaits Chubb unless they find a second RB that can take some of
      the load.
      There's more than just Jacobs. But that isn't the point. You said there are few to none who get 1000 yards and there were 16.

They only have to average 59 yards a game to get 1000. That number isn't as prestigious as it used to be when only playing 14 games.
      But when you are passing 700 times a year, it's tougher.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Of 16 only a handful are thought of as being cowbell RBs. Actually only Jacobs fills that terminology. CMC is not a cowbell RB, but he has gained over 1300 on the ground. Only 4 of the 16 had attempts of around 300 or more.

Then it falls off. The remaining 12 of the 16 use two RBs. The rest of the league without a 1000 yardrusher uses 2 or more RBs, that's 16 teams. In other words the day of the cowbell RB is over. The definition of a cowbell RB is not gaining 1000 yards. It's carrying the load + a threat in the receiving department. That would be somebody in the likes of LT. There is no such RB, lest Jacobs and he's not going to last very long if he continues to carry the football +300 times season. You can see Henry's ypc going down to 4.4 less than Ekeler. The same fate awaits Chubb unless they find a second RB that can take some of
        the load.
        It's "bell cow" running back, not "cow bell" running back.

One makes you sound like you might know what you're talking about, and the other does not. lol

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

There's more than just Jacobs. But that isn't the point. You said there are few to none who get 1000 yards and there were 16.

They only have to average 59 yards a game to get 1000. That number isn't as prestigious as it used to be when only playing 14 games.
          I never said there were few to none that get 1000 yards, Go back and read what I actually said. Cowbell RBs are more or less dead. Those that
          can carry the load. The load being defined as around 300 or more carries in one year. Plus I added that they should also be able to gain a fair
          amount of receiving yards. How many RBs carried the ball around 300 times or more.....4.

Look at LT and some of the RB in the past. LT carried the ball more than 300 times 7 years. Another 295 carries,
          so 8 years of 300 carries or more. Look at his receiving, over 500 yards in most years and even 700 in one particular year. That's a cowbell RB
          and they are dead. Nothing to do with 1000 yards which is a milestone but not a very high one.

And just to be clear Ekeler had over 900 yards rushing with 204 carries. There were RBs with around 200 carries that got to 1000 yards or over.
          They all had very good blocking O lines, Ekeler didn't. Gordon a 1st rounder wasn't much better with us than Ekeler in that regard and possibly
          worse when you start looking at YPC.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

20 carries a game is 340 for 17 games which is exactly what Jacobs had. Cowbell today isn't quite the same.
            True. With the NFL season now at 17 games, I'm not so sure having a "bell-cow" is a good idea anyways.
            I think the RBBC is here to stay... otherwise, you're just exposing your 1st round bell-cow to unnecessary punishment nowadays.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

It's "bell cow" running back, not "cow bell" running back.

One makes you sound like you might know what you're talking about, and the other does not. lol
              Great more bell cow, if it makes you feel proud.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

I never said there were few to none that get 1000 yards, Go back and read what I actually said. Cowbell RBs are more or less dead. Those that
                can carry the load. The load being defined as around 300 or more carries in one year. Plus I added that they should also be able to gain a fair
                amount of receiving yards. How many RBs carried the ball around 300 times or more.....4.

Look at LT and some of the RB in the past. LT carried the ball more than 300 times 7 years. Another 295 carries,
                so 8 years of 300 carries or more. Look at his receiving, over 500 yards in most years and even 700 in one particular year. That's a cowbell RB
                and they are dead. Nothing to do with 1000 yards which is a milestone but not a very high one.

And just to be clear Ekeler had over 900 yards rushing with 204 carries. There were RBs with around 200 carries that got to 1000 yards or over.
                They all had very good blocking O lines, Ekeler didn't.
                Gordon a 1st rounder wasn't much better with us than Ekeler in that regard and possibly
                worse when you start looking at YPC.
                Excellent point. When people mention Elijah Mitchell and Isaiah Pacheco, they forget to mention that the Chiefs OL and 49ers OL are Top-5 on a regular basis lately.
                I think running the ball has more to do with scheme, coaching, and OL personnel.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Great more bell cow, if it makes you feel proud.
                  More cow bell please!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

True. With the NFL season now at 17 games, I'm not so sure having a "bell-cow" is a good idea anyways.
                    I think the RBBC is here to stay... otherwise, you're just exposing your 1st round bell-cow to unnecessary punishment nowadays.
                    And with Kelly only getting 69 carries after Ekelers 204, we need another to step up. Hopefully Spiller can. Thinking we are drafting one as well.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

LT played during a 16 game season. One game isn't going to change much when you're rushing the ball 300 times.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

More cow bell please!
                        That works with music, but less so with football. lol

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

And with Kelly only getting 69 carries after Ekelers 204, we need another to step up. Hopefully Spiller can. Thinking we are drafting one as well.
                          Yeah, I was hoping to see Kelley get more touches last year. 1) To see what he could do and 2) To give Eke a little less work.
                          Hopefully, we get to see what Spiller can do.
                          Yes, I think we get another RB in the draft.

Usually, I'm not a person who promotes getting a RB in the earlier rounds. But, I must admit, I'd probably take Charbonnet if he were there in the 3rd.
                          If he's gone... there are still some good RB's in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X