• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

That works with music, but less so with football. lol
    Obviously you've never been to a Mississippi State football game...

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

That works with music, but less so with football. lol
      My right and left side of the brain is confused. Most likely because some here don't appreciate what Ekeler meant to Herbert and the
      Chargers this past season.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Obviously you've never been to a Mississippi State football game...
        Thankfully, NO! lol

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Thankfully, NO! lol
          That might be the worst home-game experience in college football. LOL!

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That might be the worst home-game experience in college football. LOL!
            60,000 cowbells, or 85,000 vuvuzelas? Tough choice to have to make!

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

60,000 cowbells, or 85,000 vuvuzelas? Tough choice to have to make!
              I'll see your cowbells and vuvuzelas... and raise you a rally-monkey and a Rick-roll.
              I have no faith in the human race...

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

There are a few but it doesn't happen often.

Elijah Mitchell wasn't a 7th but a low rounder who I liked and a couple others . He has been pretty decent.....when he isn't hurt. That just don't happen very often.

He weighed in at 215 at the combine but is listed as 200 on the Niners depth chart which probably contributes to his injuries.

Likewise for Justin Jackson. I really liked him but he couldn't stay healthy for us.
                I really liked Justin Jackson catching passes out of the backfield. i figured he was a keeper, but i guess the injuries limited him.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

he sounded reasonable to me - "reported" is about as accurate as a broken clock. playing on a lame duck contract does seem unfair to me (and yes, i am pro-chargers).

does anyone here think he only has one season left in him?
                  If you read this thread from the beginning you’ll see me advocating for the team to give him a sizable increase in pay and that I believe he still has 2 good years left considering how well he takes care of his body…but after seeing the way the RB market played out, it would be irresponsible for the chargers to come anywhere near the number he wants, he wants to double his pay to 12 million per year and nobody in the NFL is going to pay him that…especially when the highest deals that came in this offseason barely matched what ekeler has already been making per year at 6 mil per…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

CBs can play a whole game. They don't need rotational players, like a few position groups do, except for guys who play the slot. The number 4 or 5 CBs are for special teams units.

RB should be considered in the event of injury to one of the 3 RBs. Concerning Ekeler, I think he will play his last season with the Chargers.
                    #3 CB is nickel, #4 is dime (usually, not always) - its a part time role but not pure depth (e.g. backup if injured) role either. But you do raise a point - coaches often reserve the bottom of roster for guys that can just play STs well as they need it.

Not a lot of players play every snap on offense or defense besides OL QB and CB 1&2. Most other spots are package-specific and vary by design.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Actually, we don't know what his agent is advising him or if testing the market was his idea. Listening to him speak I can certainly believe it could have come from him. If Ekeler did NOT talk with Dynamic before going public, that would be crazy. Corry points out that Austin has legitimate concerns, given his current predicament. It remains a fact that Austin Ekeler himself, presumably upon advice from Dynamic, did sign the contract he is currently under. The running back biological clock is ticking.

Cutting him at this point would just guarantee we have to spend a high draft pick to replace him - not sure what that accomplishes. The Chargers are in the business of making prudent football decisions. Fresh, young, cheap explosive legs at the running back position is a smart choice.
                      Waive Austin Ekeler, since no trade is feasible. Draft Jahmyr Gibbs or Tajae Spears or Sean Tucker or...

Austin has fumblitis, as did MG III. Wearing down is inevitable. The TDs are definitely a product of his explosion, but we are best served by moving on, with mixed emotions, but knowledge of what is wise, in context.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Waive Austin Ekeler, since no trade is feasible. Draft Jahmyr Gibbs or Tajae Spears or Sean Tucker or...

Austin has fumblitis, as did MG III. Wearing down is inevitable. The TDs are definitely a product of his explosion, but we are best served by moving on, with mixed emotions, but knowledge of what is wise, in context.[/COLOR][/B]
                        For this year, we are best served bringing him back at his current contract. Cutting your best non-QB skill player with no replacement on the roster just opens another hole in a thin roster position and is definitely not a prudent football decision.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

For this year, we are best served bringing him back at his current contract. Cutting your best non-QB skill player with no replacement on the roster just opens another hole in a thin roster position and is definitely not a prudent football decision.
                          It all depends on his mindset. He cannot be a hold out and show up Labor Day. I was watching NFLNetwork this morning for a few minutes and they were talking about Ekeler - and basically it was "stats driven." Brandt mentioned all the catches and touchdowns. My thought was Brandt just watched hte highlights - because, again, not blaimng Ekeler - but the Chargers offense last year was sluggish and very station to station. thats not Ekelers fault but the Chargers cannot pay him in the future for what he did. He was a UDFA so was paid the minimum for three years and now this contract. I get why he is asking - but I also get why the Chargers are hesistant to pay him. Granted, he should be pissed as they still paid Keenan Allen 19m when that was also based ona few years ago

Comment

Working...
                          X